All-Star Unfair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't believe in the system when it falls your way and then fault it when it doesn't. I have felt a real drive for industry health lately. Maybe it's the push for Olympic competiton or the court ruling but either way I like it. I have heard a lot of comments from coaches that made points that weren't neccesarily beneficial to their gym but they felt were good for the sport. I like this alot.

On a side note...I think it's crazy that voting takes place but the board ultimately decides. Is this still the situation?

ouch...that kind of stung a little. :/

I do believe that at the absolute most basic foundation of absolutely everything in life, everybody has their own self-interest in mind, whether they do it consciously or not. I am not saying that Courtney is perfect, I'm sure if you ask Kelly Smith, Ben Pope or, honestly, some of her athletes they could tell you some of her faults. What is most respectable about what she said in her youth 5 post actually has nothing to do with youth 5. It is the fact that these big gyms owners with successful level 5 teams are kind of running the industry. Think about it...she IS one of those big gym owners with successful level 5 teams. She didn't leave herself out of the argument. She didn't say everyone else is doing this but her. She is just the one who has decided to stop following the crowd and is finally saying that this is industry is unfair.

I was agreeing with what P2169 was saying about how unfair the industry is. The fact that someone who is on the inside of the industry also pointed this out is the reason for my saying that "isn't this what Courtney was saying in her youth 5 post?" I'm just saying that someone with the "power" is speaking out against it...........

My post was not directed at Courtney, I'm just saying it does happen. I'm agreeing with her.

ouch...that kind of stung a little. :/

I do believe that at the absolute most basic foundation of absolutely everything in life, everybody has their own self-interest in mind, whether they do it consciously or not. I am not saying that Courtney is perfect, I'm sure if you ask Kelly Smith, Ben Pope or, honestly, some of her athletes they could tell you some of her faults. What is most respectable about what she said in her youth 5 post actually has nothing to do with youth 5. It is the fact that these big gyms owners with successful level 5 teams are kind of running the industry. Think about it...she IS one of those big gym owners with successful level 5 teams. She didn't leave herself out of the argument. She didn't say everyone else is doing this but her. She is just the one who has decided to stop following the crowd and is finally saying that this is industry is unfair.

I was agreeing with what P2169 was saying about how unfair the industry is. The fact that someone who is on the inside of the industry also pointed this out is the reason for my saying that "isn't this what Courtney was saying in her youth 5 post?" I'm just saying that someone with the "power" is speaking out against it...........

... and one can look at her post and wonder what her agenda is?

There is politics everywhere you go. You can't get away from it. Its in work, cheer, baseball, hockey, glee club and so on. Just like everything else in life - I would like to believe and do believe that most gym owners are balancing what s right for the industry and their gym. Sometimes you may have to vote what is better for your gym cause it could cause more harm than good to your business model.

Weighing in on part of the thread related to U of L:

1. They are not "recruited" by Louisville--they have to go through several days of intense tryouts and cuts in order to make the team.

2. They are not "placed" on Senior Teams--they also go through several days of tryouts to "earn" a spot on a Worlds Team (just a tiny bit of competition at tryouts for those spots on those teams).

3. They live there--Louisville is their home--that means by going to college and living there they get to pay full out of state tuition as well as all living expenses (rent, electricity, food, water etc)--only hurting here is in your wallet.

4. If they have one more year left of eligibility to compete on a Non International Team at Worlds and make that team--good for them--obviously they are dedicated to a very demanding sport and are able to handle the extremely hectic and demanding schedule that comes with cheering at that level, going to college at the same time, and being completely on their own for the first time.

I personally give kudos to those that can and do it all because it is certainly not easy by any stretch of the imagination!!!!

Gt only has 10 kids out of 36 on a senior worlds team that are not in high school. I would like to know some of the ratios from other large teams around the country.

Gt only has 10 kids out of 36 on a senior worlds team that are not in high school. I would like to know some of the ratios from other large teams around the country.

out of those 10 how many are on the young side and could of been a senior in HS? My son is one of those children that I could of kept home one more year cause he borders the age cut off for school. From an academic perspective I am glad I didn't from a athletic perspective, I wish I would of. There are alot of boyz in my area that hit that age cut off and from an athleticism viewpoint are not ready to move to that upper level based on grade. So they elect to go to prep school to repeat 8th/9th grade then go to HS.

I would think that 10/36 being "super seniors" would be a much higher ratio than any other team in that division. Most would have 1-2 I would think. (Not putting a value judgement on it either way, just making an observation.)

Your post sounds ridiculous...

1) You reference inaccurate information

2) You neglect that everyone who had a voice in this process is either a coach, owner or both and that their gyms and opinions count in grand scheme of things as well as your own...only not the the grey shady extent you portray it is.

Join a committee, present and vote on ideas and make your voice heard otherwise your just stirring up the rumor mill.

Maybe I am just thinking too much into this... but

Does anyone else find it unfair that University of Louisville gets to "recruit" kids to "cheer at Louisville" and then can place age eligible kids on their Senior teams? Dont you think it hurts the sport to have this be allowed?"

How is placing talented, age-eligible kids on senior teams hurting the sport? Wouldn't stronger teams help the sport by encouraging other teams to keep up? UofL tryouts aren't tryouts for GT senior teams. Tons of kids super senior, why pick on one gym in particular? Do you allow super seniors at your gym?

I would think that 10/36 being "super seniors" would be a much higher ratio than any other team in that division. Most would have 1-2 I would think. (Not putting a value judgement on it either way, just making an observation.)

I think you are way off here - Check any gym in this division that is within 50 miles of a college.

This is a silly post. There is a difference in having an opinion against how someone does something, and taking stupid cheap shots.

-Kingston

isn't it kind of funny how CEA has to use crossovers for every team when they have 100's of athletes? just sayin'.
Whoever said they had to?? Clearly, they don't need to... they just choose to. Careful what you accuse people of.

Whoever said they had to?? Clearly, they don't need to... they just choose to. Careful what you accuse people of.
why would they do that if they don't need to...? idk, just the way i look at it. if you're going to put the same kid on two teams and you dont need it, then why not just give one of those spots to somebody else who doesnt even have a spot on ONE team?

why would they do that if they don't need to...? idk, just the way i look at it. if you're going to put the same kid on two teams and you dont need it, then why not just give one of those spots to somebody else who doesnt even have a spot on ONE team?
Everybody makes a team at CEA, no matter age or ability. At tryouts you tell them if you want to be on more than one team, and even though you may request to be on multiple teams, they only guarantee you to be on one, just depending on which teams are completely full or whatever. I don't know the exact process, but I don't think you understand how it works.

isn't it kind of funny how CEA has to use crossovers for every team when they have 100's of athletes? just sayin'.

We don't HAVE to use crossovers. To me, it helps the athlete become well rounded. For example, my daughter bases on Youth 5 and flies on Jr. 5. Another example - a child may stunt at a level 5 level, but may only have a tuck or vice versa. In addition, adds a level of conditioning. Another example, you are a base that always wanted to learn to fly. Option may be to base on a higher level team and fly on a lower level team. There are many benefits.

We don't HAVE to use crossovers. To me, it helps the athlete become well rounded. For example, my daughter bases on Youth 5 and flies on Jr. 5. Another example - a child may stunt at a level 5 level, but may only have a tuck or vice versa. In addition, adds a level of conditioning. Another example, you are a base that always wanted to learn to fly. Option may be to base on a higher level team and fly on a lower level team. There are many benefits.

Also like to note that when an athlete does both base and fly, they see it from both perspectives and is able to adjust/teach/learn as necessary. Not to mention a hightened level of respect for one another's job.

Back