High School Universal Competition Routine Format For Hs Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Which format do you feel is best?

• Total voters

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
So I've been thinking about this, and want to bounce it off of people to see what they think.
What if HS cheer competition routine formats be changed to a universal format?
30 seconds of a story cheer
60 seconds of a crowd-leading cheer
90 seconds of music

Total routine length: 180 seconds.

The two cheer portions don't have to be consecutive, and they can go anywhere in the routine (of course, no smart choreographer would put either of them at the end)

This could force motions to be weight more heavily on a score sheet, which provides an incentive for teams to be sharper. In addition, in states that allow teams to go to nationals, this format prepares teams for both NCA and UCA formats; in addition, even if a team doesn't attend a national competition, they are still forced to train all skill sets INCLUDING crowd leading.

Not that I am aware of. I know that where I am, you need to be doing a traditional UCA style cheer to score well (I assume that you can do either, but the NCA style cheer never scores well.)

Not that I am aware of. I know that where I am, you need to be doing a traditional UCA style cheer to score well (I assume that you can do either, but the NCA style cheer never scores well.)
That's what frustrates me; I LOVE UCA-style routine, but I am all for freedom and flexibility in choreography and feel that the teams that want to do story cheers should be allowed to without having to sacrifice points because of biased judges.

I do like UCA for high schools personally (mainly because I grew up on it and I like how it shows a traditional cheer.) but it should be up to the coach/state rules of what style routine it should be. Plus you see some really good routines in both styles that have the same overall need for them; sharp motions,good technique in stunts, etc.

So I've been thinking about this, and want to bounce it off of people to see what they think.
90 seconds of music

The two cheer portions don't have to be consecutive, and they can go anywhere in the routine (of course, no smart choreographer would put either of them at the end)

This could force motions to be weight more heavily on a score sheet, which provides an incentive for teams to be sharper. In addition, in states that allow teams to go to nationals, this format prepares teams for both NCA and UCA formats; in addition, even if a team doesn't attend a national competition, they are still forced to train all skill sets INCLUDING crowd leading.

Not sure if other states do this but the routine format mentioned above is very traditional in Virginia. In fact, motions are only scored during a cheer section and any motions performed during music is scored for the dance. Also, the minimum time for a routine is 2:30, the maximum is 3 minutes, and only 90 seconds of music. I actually love this format, but last year Virginia changed the scoring rubric to break away from "story cheers" and to focus more on the crowd-leading cheer. At my rules clinic for coaches, they showed us videos of UCA routines and told us to be more like them.

This is basically the point range for Virginia cheer teams:
Stunts/Tumbling - maximum 15 points each
Jumps - 10 points
Dance - 10 points
Cheer/Chant - 20 points
Motions - 10 points (this could actually be five points but I'm not sure. There are small sections that get scored up to five points like energy, choreography, projection, and creativity)

90 seconds of music

In Kentucky, both formats are represented. We don't even have a true "cheer" score on our scoresheet. There's a box that says "cheer" and is scored for performance and choreography. Since the inception of the KHSAA competitive cheer division (our old organization was a separate entity called KAPOS), I have never scored anything BUT an 8 in the two "cheer" scores. I don't even think they score them. I think they just give everyone a blanket 8. We are going on the 5th-ish season of KHSAA and I've had routines judged something like 8 or 9 times (between regionals and state competitions), and it's always an 8.

90 seconds of music

BTW, I love you and your posts, but I HATE story cheers. I'd rather have my nose slammed in a car door than listen to one.

BTW, I love you and your posts, but I HATE story cheers. I'd rather have my nose slammed in a car door than listen to one.
LOL! Very few have impressed me. Too often, kids don't correctly execute their motions and enunciate because they are so focused on being fast.

I don't like the proposed new format. Routines with that much cheer involved could really drag the competition day along in a painful way.

I also don't care for the story cheers at all. Like I actually pretty much hate them! That is 90% or more of the reason I don't take my team to NCA camps or competitions. If NCA high school was set up more like NCA college, I would consider switching. Options are good though, I'm sure there are people who hate traditional cheers that are happy to have NCA as an option.

Our state competition is the UCA scoresheet. Occasionally a misinformed team will show up with an NCA cheer and get killed on the scoresheet. The closest NCA team I know of is close to 3 hours away. Everyone is either UCA or attends allstar brand events with a full music routine under the school divisions.

90 seconds of music

Story cheer is the worst kind of cheer. It doesn't involve the crowd or get them fired up, doesn't increase the spirit (aka the job of the cheerleaders)

Story cheer is the worst kind of cheer. It doesn't involve the crowd or get them fired up, doesn't increase the spirit (aka the job of the cheerleaders)
That's one of my biggest problems with it. However, if the teams that use story cheers are required to use a format like this, it could help nudge them into UCA-style routines.

I remember reading somewhere that GA high school teams used to do UCA routines, but people complained that the crowd leading cheer killed the momentum and didn't look enough like an all star routine. Ridiculous! It's supposed to be high school cheer. A format like the one I described could nudge teams like those in Georgia back in the right direction.

Last edited:
That's one of my biggest problems with it. However, if the teams that use story cheers are required to use a format like this, it could help nudge them into UCA-style routines.

I remember reading somewhere that GA high school teams used to do UCA routines, but people complained that the crowd leading cheer killed the momentum and didn't look enough like an all star routine. Ridiculous! It's supposed to be high school cheer. A format like the one I described could nudge teams like those in Georgia back in the right direction.

That's indicative of the problems within our society. One of the best lessons kids can learn from high school cheer is that their primary duty is to serve and support the school and its other athletic teams. There's nothing wrong with learning a little humility and servant leadership. Instead, people want to change the rules and the nature of the work in order to put themselves in the spotlight.

That's indicative of the problems within our society. One of the best lessons kids can learn from high school cheer is that their primary duty is to serve and support the school and its other athletic teams. There's nothing wrong with learning a little humility and servant leadership. Instead, people want to change the rules and the nature of the work in order to put themselves in the spotlight.
Too many people don't understand that and instead view it as sexist... but that's a different rant.

Back