Usa Varsity Show Cheer Novice - Legal Stunt??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 7, 2011
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this stunt is legal in the USA varsity show cheer novice division??

We do a sponge/elevator toss to toetouch w/ one brace at shoulder level (in a half). In AACCA rules, it says that "A release stunt must either be cradled or connected to at least one bracer", but in the division limitations, there is a line that says, "no basket, sponge, elevator or similar toss is permitted".

Does this mean they cannot do the toss even with a bracer? I know a team in our division did a similar stunt last year, but the rules have changed so I want to get a definite answer before we put it in.

Thanks!! ;)

We just taught it yesterday, and we don't have practice again until Tuesday. I will get a video then :)

As for a better description: we have two stunt groups facing each other. One stunt goes up into a half, the other sets in a hangdrill. The flyers then connect, the group in a hangdrill dips, they toss her up she does a toetouch, and then they catch her back in a hangdrill, all while being connected/braced by the half facing them.

We just taught it yesterday, and we don't have practice again until Tuesday. I will get a video then :)

As for a better description: we have two stunt groups facing each other. One stunt goes up into a half, the other sets in a hangdrill. The flyers then connect, the group in a hangdrill dips, they toss her up she does a toetouch, and then they catch her back in a hangdrill, all while being connected/braced by the half facing them.
what exactly do you mean by a hang drill? A Hang Drill is something you use to teach a flyer how to hold her own weight in a sponge, squish, squash, whatever you call it.

It guess its a sponge, we just call it hang drill. I just wanted to make it clear that they are actually going to catch her back in the hang drill or sponge, they just didn't do it in the video.

It guess its a sponge, we just call it hang drill. I just wanted to make it clear that they are actually going to catch her back in the hang drill or sponge, they just didn't do it in the video.

I'm going to say that is illegal. Novice is beginner, and generally follows beginner rules. That stunt is a level 3 stunt, which is not novice. Novice usually follows level 1 rules, and it is stated that the division does not allow tosses. I would go by division rules rather than the AACCA rules. Those are across the board, while the division rules are specific to you and your situation. If it says no tosses, it seems as though they are following level 1 rules.

CoachTamara That does make sense, but baskets have been illegal in novice for about three years now (I think), and last year someone in our category had a similar stunt in one of their pyramids with the toetouch toss, and they took it from a regional to nationals, so I am assuming that they didn't get deductions for it. I don't want to risk it though without getting it checked first because so many things have changed.

Just in case anyone wants to know - I contacted USA and sent them a video, and they said it IS legal for varsity show cheer novice! :DDefinitely made my day!

Reactions: Ems
Back