All-Star Usasf 2015-2017 Cheer Safety Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Don't forget that when they first came out with the guidelines a few years ago, mesh stomachs weren't a thing. Most gyms are on a 3 year uniform cycle - they can't now say no mesh and enforce it for this year because many gyms just got new uniforms with mesh.
Well, they could. They put a kibosh on the side cut outs even though many gyms just got those uniforms.

"Exception 2: ½ Wrap around stunts are legal in Level 1."
Can someone explain what a wrap around stunt and a 1/2 wrap around stunt are please? I can't find it defined in the glossary.

New glossary coming soon with a definition for the skill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank goodness - the current glossary hasn't been updated since 2012 and is missing some critical definitions (like platform).

Reactions: Ren
The routine times are VERY interesting. What it means is eventually we will get rules that have them run out, perform, and run off like Worlds. That would be standard.

The uniform things take years to implement.

Well clearly, considering these are the safety rules, and this thread literally has 'safety' in its title.

What I meant is, do we really need to ban twisting skills with one BHS before them? Is that not, maybe, a bit of overkill? This time a few years ago, youths were allowed to show off any sort of complex tumbling they had. And we trusted coaches to put out only the strong and safe passes. I do believe in making youth 5 as safe as possible, but let's not go too far.

And we trusted coaches to put out only the strong and safe passes.[/QUOTE said:
This. Unfortunately the issue is that all coaches cannot be trusted to put out strong and safe anything. We have all seen the teams attempting stunts and tumbling skills that they are not physically and mentally prepared for. Yet there are coaches that believe that in order to win you have to throw the toughest skills and have the highest difficulty stunts even when the team cannot complete them safely.
I believe that the majority of coaches will not let their teams compete unsafe skills, but there are those that do and thus we have to have these rules in place to protect all athletes.

Because there wasn't a big enough difference between R5 and regular Senior 5. R5 was basically a bridge from S4 to S5, but the bridge was broken and in need of a renovation.

Not sure why I quoted @yojaehs.... @nicolee
I agree that this may have been the intention for R5, but that doesn't mean I like it.

In terms of youth 5, it makes me very uncomfortable that in a few short years we've lost doubles, standing fulls, kick doubles, and now double ups, single based stunts, and any twisting skills without multiple BHS. I feel like after USASF lost the battle to get rid of youth 5, they set about watering everything down as much as possible. What next, ban twisting skills altogether?

I agree that this may have been the intention for R5, but that doesn't mean I like it.

In terms of youth 5, it makes me very uncomfortable that in a few short years we've lost doubles, standing fulls, kick doubles, and now double ups, single based stunts, and any twisting skills without multiple BHS. I feel like after USASF lost the battle to get rid of youth 5, they set about watering everything down as much as possible. What next, ban twisting skills altogether?

I think I can say that the majority of us are more worried about the fact that youth 5 kids are attempting double ups. Yes, there are probably programs like Cali, Cheer Athletics, Stingrays, etc that have beast 11 year olds that can safely perform the skill, but that's not the whole industry--which is who the rules are put in place for. It's not to say they can't practice them or work on those skills, they're just not permitted to compete them.

I think I can say that the majority of us are more worried about the fact that youth 5 kids are attempting double ups. Yes, there are probably programs like Cali, Cheer Athletics, Stingrays, etc that have beast 11 year olds that can safely perform the skill, but that's not the whole industry--which is who the rules are put in place for. It's not to say they can't practice them or work on those skills, they're just not permitted to compete them.
I still think that there's a limit to how much we can restrict this division and still call it level 5. I wasn't a fan of the initial restrictions when they first came out, but came to accept them since they were protecting the kids. Now I think it's just going too far. Let the kids do 1-to-fulls.

I still think that there's a limit to how much we can restrict this division and still call it level 5. I wasn't a fan of the initial restrictions when they first came out, but came to accept them since they were protecting the kids. Now I think it's just going too far. Let the kids do 1-to-fulls.

Playing Devils Advocate.. they can do them as much as they want. Just not in the competition routine.

Back