All-Star Usasf Changes Program Definitions/classifications

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From a business point of view it's superficial and small gym owners are being thrown a bone to appease them.

What I see happening to the lower levels, the true feeder base of all sports, are those parents and athletes are feeling athlete "level" is irrelevant. Gyms, coaches, parents and kids have become so focused on getting bids that caring about actual athlete progression is slowing down. Athletes and parents aren't caring as much about getting to the next level, as much as, getting on the team and division where it will be easier to win. This rule does not feed progression and competition, it feeds desperation. Why does an athlete need to go to tumble class, stunt class, privates, etc. if they don't really care about getting to the next level? Even if level 5, it stunts creativity and out of the box thinking for the win. <<<< This is what will destroy the small business faster than anything, not the lack of a banner.

Not just the small business, it's destroying the whole industry and making it a farce.

Majority of parents and athletes I know care a lot about level! Just look at reactions after tryout results are posted. LOL

I agree. In fact, our parents care so much about level that they have kids on teams that they clearly do not have the skills for. The teams are not going to be competitive at all this season. But the parents want Susie on a "level whatever" team and since they pay their fees, the gym is just giving them what they want.

In fact, our parents care so much about level that they have kids on teams that they clearly do not have the skills for. The teams are not going to be competitive at all this season. But the parents want Susie on a "level whatever" team and since they pay their fees, the gym is just giving them what they want.
That is unfortunate. From my experience these are the same type of folks that will flee at their first opportunity after realizing they are paying thousands of dollars, spending time away from friends and family, and coming in last.

Running a business is difficult in all industries. I've been doing my profession for 30+ years and have owned 100% of a couple of businesses and parts of a couple of others. It's still tough. Our executive team is currently working through a program based on "The E Myth" books by Michael Gerber. The essence is that it's common for a superb technician of a service (e.g. a coach) to decide they would be better off running their own business (e.g. a gym). However, the business ends up running them because they spend all their time essentially creating a job for themselves instead of actually working the business.

I recommend the book(s) highly. Even for us old guys that have been doing this a while, it's eye opening.
This. I have been thinking about this concept lately. Coaching and running a business require mastery of different skill sets. Proficiency with one does not guarantee proficiency with another.

I'll definitely be checking out the book!

Majority of parents and athletes I know care a lot about level! Just look at reactions after tryout results are posted. LOL

I agree. In fact, our parents care so much about level that they have kids on teams that they clearly do not have the skills for. The teams are not going to be competitive at all this season. But the parents want Susie on a "level whatever" team and since they pay their fees, the gym is just giving them what they want.

Lol, I think all gyms have the tryout frenzy parents and athletes, but what I'm talking about is actual progression. Are the gyms classes actually well attended year round? Are the amount of classes growing or declining? In other words, if the sole desire becomes bids and a gym finds they can only be successful at getting bids by fielding levels 1-3 because they don't have enough level 4 and 5 athletes, they are stalling progression. Why would a level 4 or 5 athlete have any desire to attend a tumble or stunt class if they are on a level 3 team and they don't foresee enough athletes with full level skills to field a 4 or 5 the next year? It creates a cycle and mentality that's hard to break and it can makes older athletes complacent, which then makes it hard for the lower level young athletes to move up until others age out or quit.

Lol, I think all gyms have the tryout frenzy parents and athletes, but what I'm talking about is actual progression. Are the gyms classes actually well attended year round? Are the amount of classes growing or declining? In other words, if the sole desire becomes bids and a gym finds they can only be successful at getting bids by fielding levels 1-3 because they don't have enough level 4 and 5 athletes, they are stalling progression. Why would a level 4 or 5 athlete have any desire to attend a tumble or stunt class if they are on a level 3 team and they don't foresee enough athletes with full level skills to field a 4 or 5 the next year? It creates a cycle and mentality that's hard to break and it can makes older athletes complacent, which then makes it hard for the lower level young athletes to move up until others age out or quit.

Because they want their Suzie to be the best and they want to gain new skills! LOL Those around me definitely want higher skills.

This. I have been thinking about this concept lately. Coaching and running a business require mastery of different skill sets. Proficiency with one does not guarantee proficiency with another.

I'll definitely be checking out the book!

Actually, to be great at either requires pretty similar traits:

Incredible work ethic
Impeccable attention to detail
Advanced Knowledge of all aspects of "the game."
Communication skills
Servant-leader mentality

You find a gym run by a coach who has those traits and it'll be a winning program and a successful business. They may not have a desire to expand to the likes of "mega-gym," but not everyone who owns a five and dime has the desire to be Sam Walton either.

In my day job, we hire staff members with those traits to be managers, and then teach them the ins and outs of the business world. Balancing a budget is simple arithmetic, but you have to have a desire to learn how to do it. It's the gym owners who completely ignore those types of things who go up in a fiery ball of flames.

Actually, to be great at either requires pretty similar traits:

Incredible work ethic
Impeccable attention to detail
Advanced Knowledge of all aspects of "the game."
Communication skills
Servant-leader mentality

You find a gym run by a coach who has those traits and it'll be a winning program and a successful business. They may not have a desire to expand to the likes of "mega-gym," but not everyone who owns a five and dime has the desire to be Sam Walton either.

In my day job, we hire staff members with those traits to be managers, and then teach them the ins and outs of the business world. Balancing a budget is simple arithmetic, but you have to have a desire to learn how to do it. It's the gym owners who completely ignore those types of things who go up in a fiery ball of flames.
Very true. I think that there are common traits that proficient people in all disciplines have in common (i.e. the ones that you listed), but many people are under the impression that possession of the knowledge one needs to (for example) be a good coach will make them a good gym owner by default. Successful business ownership takes more than that.

I agree with @quitthedrama here. Worlds is supposed to be THE best of the best. Nobody gave the Jamaican bobsled team a special division because they don't have snow in Jamaica! With these "rules" re: the XS division it seems to me to be something akin to "bumper bowling" or like when my kids were younger and I would have to mark special eggs during the Easter egg hunt so that my youngest got his fair share.
One of my favorite comments in this thread. I love Cool Runnings!

I am from small gym and big named gyms have the advantage to offer scholarships to talented kids, whether main gym or other location. It just happened to us, they scouted him and offered the moon. Luckily he couldn't do the commute. So the new rule is definitely needed!

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to be snarky, but if one athlete can make or break your program or ruin your chances of winning some how, how solid is your gym's program?

Back