All-Star Usasf- Crossovers Survey Sent Out

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
Just received a survey from USASF this am asking about number of athletes in the gym and number that crossover during the season- the vote closes on Monday. I am assuming they are still not sure what to do about crossovers next season.

That cannot be overly difficult information to find out. CheerSport, NCA, and Jamfest would be the largest ones and they must keep tallies on all that. No?

What we voted on. Limit of 25%. Wasnt that a landslide vote?

What we voted on. Limit of 25%. Wasnt that a landslide vote?

There was 2 separate things voted on about crossovers. One was to limit the amount of teams a cheerleader could compete on, and the other was limit the percentage per team. Personally, I like limiting the amount of teams a lot better than limiting the percentage.

There was 2 separate things voted on about crossovers. One was to limit the amount of teams a cheerleader could compete on, and the other was limit the percentage per team. Personally, I like limiting the amount of teams a lot better than limiting the percentage.

Curious. How come?

Curious. How come?

I feel like limiting the number of teams a child can perfom on doesn't hurt anyone (gym, athlete ect). Percentage can hurt some of the smaller gyms that need to be able to have the option of crossing kids to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE crossovers. They are more trouble than they're worth. However, I've also been at gyms where they are a neccessary evil. For me, I much rather limit the athlete. It keeps a kid from competing on 3 (or more teams). Keeps them from getting burnt out, saves them from possible injury, and potentially increases their performance value to the teams.
This is all just my personal opinion. I completely respect those who will disagree with me. Like I said, I don't like crossovers, but I understand that some gyms need them to survive.

I thought it was a landslide as well! But why haven't I gotten this email? I am upset :) Jk but I hope I get it or I will be mad!

What would you like to see?

It's not addressed to me, but, alas, the soapbox calls...

I am a pretty firm believer in NO crossovers at all. Keep in mind, I am from a VERY small gym, so small gym folks, just hear me out. If you build your teams according to age and skill, you shouldn't need crossovers. Example:

My last gym (twice the size of my current) had the following numbers one season, all numbers are WITHOUT crossovers included:

Youth 1- 18 kids
Mini 2- 16 kids, 10 bhs
LARGE Senior 3- 24 kids, 11 tucks
Sm Jr 4- 18 kids, 12 layouts
Large Senior Coed 5- 36 kids, 3 doubles and about 16 fulls

Now, we had kids crossing from J4 and S5 to the S3, kids from S5 to the J4, etc, BECAUSE the teams were not appropriately constructed (lots of little suzies getting their way lol)

If we had just composed smaller, more appropriate teams, there wouldn't have been a need for those crossovers, most of whom were only there for tumbling. Those SAME exact numbers, like this, would require no crossovers, but wouldn't be at full capacity for the division:

Youth 1/Mini 2 stays
SMALL Senior 2- Probably would be about 12 kids the Senior 3 kids without tucks who don't offer strong skills anywhere else
SMALL Senior 3, maybe 16-20 strong with those 11 tucks and the J4 kids who don't have layouts and don't offer anything else on a scoresheet
LARGE Senior 4- 32-36 kids the J4 kids and the bottom of Senior 5 kids
Small Limited Coed 5- 20 kids all your twisters, making sure stunt groups fit

In that construct, there would be no crossovers needed.

Everyone wants to talk smack about CEA using so many crossovers... I don't know if it's accurate or not, BUT I will say that for a gym of their size, with athletes of that caliber, why should they ever need crossovers? Aren't there enough divisions to move kids into? Why do we NEED 20 kids in small? Why do we NEED 36 in large? Everything is based on quantity anyhow.... JMO

I agree on the limiting teams as well, not a percentage. I don't have a lot of cross overs now bc I don't have alot of teams for them to cross over to, but may one day! LOL! I only let them do 2 teams but if my whole gym one day wants to be on 2 teams and we have a spot for them so be it! It's extra money to keep going and more teams for the gym! We live at the beach and everything is more expensive so they are much needed! It also helps out when you have those 10 kids that you have no where for and you can bring up 5 or more cross overs to make that team! But a percentage would be horrible in my opinion!
I don't see evil in this at all unless you do have those on 4-7 teams that is EVIL and you should be shot!!! LOL

25% means you could have 5 kids on a small team, and 7 crossovers on a large.

So those limits are too restricting?

It's not addressed to me, but, alas, the soapbox calls...

I am a pretty firm believer in NO crossovers at all. Keep in mind, I am from a VERY small gym, so small gym folks, just hear me out. If you build your teams according to age and skill, you shouldn't need crossovers. Example:

My last gym (twice the size of my current) had the following numbers one season, all numbers are WITHOUT crossovers included:

Youth 1- 18 kids
Mini 2- 16 kids, 10 bhs
LARGE Senior 3- 24 kids, 11 tucks
Sm Jr 4- 18 kids, 12 layouts
Large Senior Coed 5- 36 kids, 3 doubles and about 16 fulls

Now, we had kids crossing from J4 and S5 to the S3, kids from S5 to the J4, etc, BECAUSE the teams were not appropriately constructed (lots of little suzies getting their way lol)

If we had just composed smaller, more appropriate teams, there wouldn't have been a need for those crossovers, most of whom were only there for tumbling. Those SAME exact numbers, like this, would require no crossovers, but wouldn't be at full capacity for the division:

Youth 1/Mini 2 stays
SMALL Senior 2- Probably would be about 12 kids the Senior 3 kids without tucks who don't offer strong skills anywhere else
SMALL Senior 3, maybe 16-20 strong with those 11 tucks and the J4 kids who don't have layouts and don't offer anything else on a scoresheet
LARGE Senior 4- 32-36 kids the J4 kids and the bottom of Senior 5 kids
Small Limited Coed 5- 20 kids all your twisters, making sure stunt groups fit

In that construct, there would be no crossovers needed.

Everyone wants to talk smack about CEA using so many crossovers... I don't know if it's accurate or not, BUT I will say that for a gym of their size, with athletes of that caliber, why should they ever need crossovers? Aren't there enough divisions to move kids into? Why do we NEED 20 kids in small? Why do we NEED 36 in large? Everything is based on quantity anyhow.... JMO

There is a need for cross overs! Thats why USASF allows it! :)

Back