All-Star Usasf Independence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I want to repeat that this is NOT an anti-Varsity rant. They have done fantastic things for our industry. I would vote for MANY of them to be on the board and/or positions of power if given the opportunity. Heck, ASCheerMan and RulesGuy are about as "Varsity" as you can get and they would probably be the top two names on my ballot whenever it came time to select the next USASF President. Mike Burgess (USA), Jeff Fowlkes (CHEERSPORT), Lance Wagers (ACA), and several others wouldn't be too far behind, either. There are some fantastic, trustworthy, & talented people there - much more so than some people give credit for. I would trust those people as much as anyone I know.

That STILL doesn't mean that I would appoint them to lifetime positions or give them the power to permanently control our industry. I would always campaign for any of them, but NO ONE, regardless of who they are, should be guaranteed a seat at the table. EVERY spot should be elected, and EVERY spot should have a term limit - period.

In my reading of the proposal, they are wanting to set the USASF free rather than take it over. The items of the proposal are things that the majority of gym owners support such as-
audit of the USASF financials
an elected, non-permanant board of directors
a new address
501 c3 non-profit status

with the things that BlueCat mentioned earlier as well as the abrupt changes that occurred without warning or a vote in the middle of a rules cycle just about a year ago now has led probably the majority of people to at least have a slight distrust in the current set up

my personal votes for the board would be
RulesGuy
ASCheerMan
BlueCat
acxjags
and CSP

throw in 2 more EPs, another vendor or 2 and a couple of smaller gyms and you'd have a well rounded board- 5 gym owners 5 ep/vendors and RulesGuy for a tie breaker

And without a clear plan, how do we know that this proposal is any better than what we have now? Sure, they say that they want an elected, non-permanent board of directors, but what's the composition of that? Are they going to weight that board to have a heavy EP/vendor influence - if so, how is that appreciably better than what we have today?

Again, the focus on Varsity dances around the real issue.

And without a clear plan, how do we know that this proposal is any better than what we have now? Sure, they say that they want an elected, non-permanent board of directors, but what's the composition of that? Are they going to weight that board to have a heavy EP/vendor influence - if so, how is that appreciably better than what we have today?

Again, the focus on Varsity dances around the real issue.
The proposal said equal representation from all segments of the industry. And it's also calling for transparency and elections of board members.

I have varsity uniforms and go to as many varsity events as I can, but I don't want them to have control over the governance of the allstar industry. I like the idea that our votes would matter and that the governing body would have set rules to follow and have a responsibility to actually follow them.

Find some old threads if they are still around of the history with ncata followed by stunt and the quinnipiac trial and the banning from usasf world if you had anything to do with the other more international version of worlds. Those are the things that worry us with the current set up.

Again, I love varsity events and they make good uniforms and have some great people,mi just don't think they should be in the business of governing

In my opinion there are just 2 MAIN issues:
1) the US president doesn't even have a premenant position...neither should board members
2) Varsity is fine....it just has too much power/influence over the industry. As BlueCat said no one really wants to start from a scratch or "reinvent the wheel"...just tweak it some.

Everyone seems to be blowing random issues up but they all kind of stem from the same problems. I'm all for reducing Varsity's power/influence because no ONE entity should have that much power. I also agree with the 501(c)3 topic. Money should not be a major motivator (again, in my opinion). I actually like the Varsity brand, the only time that they really rubbed me the wrong way was the whole "go to another 'international'/'world' event and you cannot compete at worlds". That was a bit much for me. Other then that, they have made some very positive changes and advances for the industry so far...even if the intentions are unclear so far.

So, here was my list of suggested improvements from earlier. Are there ones on here that people don't agree with? Are there other improvements that could be made?
  1. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have permanent board seats.
  2. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have a permanent executive position.
  3. There should be free and open elections for all positions of power in an independent governing body.
  4. The financials of the organization should be absolutely public. (A 5-6 line "summary" does NOT count.)
  5. The financials of the organization should be done by an independent, outside accounting firm. (EDIT: The accounting firm should have the ability to redact limited salary information at THEIR discretion.)
  6. The votes of the Board should be public.
  7. There should be term limits for all elected/appointed officials.
  8. Nominations and appointments should be based on merit, not seniority, friendships, "loyalty", or quid pro quo.
  9. Board seats belong to the public, not to companies. (If a Cheer Athletics person resigns their seat on the board, then Cheer Athletics doesn't get to appoint the replacement. The replacement is decided by the same process that elected that seat in the first place.)
  10. There should be a much more fair and representative distribution of board seats. suggestion - 1/3 EP, 1/3 coaches-gym owners, 1/3 "other". (Industry vendors, media, judges, neutral outside party, etc.)
  11. Worlds must be moved to an adequate venue ASAP. Sub-contracting out the event deserves strong consideration.
  12. No single conglomerate should control/occupy more than 3 total seats on the board.
  13. Coach board seats should have regional representation. Nominations/Voting for those seats should be a completely open process.
  14. The USASF should control all of the intellectual property of Worlds.
  15. The USASF should not control what events athletes/gyms/judges/coaches can go to. If Worlds can't compete with other "World Championships", then make Worlds better. Don't threaten people with being banned from Worlds because your event can't compete on it's own merit.
  16. Event Producers should be allowed to host bid-giving events wherever and whenever they choose (up to the number of bids they are qualified.) Protectionism for certain events and event producers is not acceptable. If those events can't compete with other events, then they should make their event better. Don't threaten event producers with being banned from USASF to help certain EPs.
  17. Judge education/training, standardized scoring, coaches training, gym owner business training all need to be moved up the priority list.
  18. Controlling the uniforms, tumbling rule decisions outside of the NACCC/Rules Committee, PR & focus groups, and the amount hugging/excitement allowed after performances should be moved off of the priority list.
I would add:
19. USASF offices and employees should be free from Varsity (or any other private company's) control. Any non-compete clause should be allowed to expire at it's normal rate. (If you have a Varsity non-compete for 2 years after cessation of employment, your time at USASF doesn't count as time at "Varsity" time.)

20. Bills/proposals/etc that get voted on by the board are made public prior to their vote. The secrecy that pervades the process is damaging to the legitimacy of the USASF and completely unnecessary. If a board member doesn't have the strength to vote for something and stand behind it publicly, then they either shouldn't be a board member or shouldn't be voting in a way they are ashamed of. (I am willing to stand behind and defend ALL of my votes if they want to make those public.) A VERY LIMITED amount of discretion regarding financially sensitive information should be allowed for. This power should rarely be used and only allowed when signed off on by the independent accounting firm. (see #5)

21. The entire contract with Disney should be made public. Any extension of this contract should be made with the full knowledge, oversight, and approval of the board. Any side deals, kickbacks, or collusion with other Disney contracts should be made available to the entire membership of the board.

22. Any board member or full-time USASF employee should be required to disclose any and all ownership in cheer-related businesses and all cheer-related business with which they are partnered/under contract for/have potential conflict of interest with. Also, all ownership interest of their employers must be revealed. (If you are a CheerSport employee, then the exact nature of CheerSport's ownership should be public information.)

Feel free to make other suggestions.

So, here was my list of suggested improvements from earlier. Are there ones on here that people don't agree with? Are there other improvements that could be made.

I think the issue is something like this needs to be presented rather than a website and a stunt. To me this would have been a lot more powerful because of its intricacy.

I have also thought (and can't remember if I wrote) to donate, not loan, money to create a 501c3 called the USASF. It would be based on rules such as yours and with the stipulation it would have to be out of the building it is currently in with at least 2 years funding. After such the loan would be gone and everything would move on.

I think the issue is something like this needs to be presented rather than a website and a stunt. To me this would have been a lot more powerful because of its intricacy.

I have also thought (and can't remember if I wrote) to donate, not loan, money to create a 501c3 called the USASF. It would be based on rules such as yours and with the stipulation it would have to be out of the building it is currently in with at least 2 years funding. After such the loan would be gone and everything would move on.

Donate money to pay off said loan.

So, here was my list of suggested improvements from earlier. Are there ones on here that people don't agree with? Are there other improvements that could be made?
  1. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have permanent board seats.
  2. No conglomerate/company/gym/person should have a permanent executive position.
  3. There should be free and open elections for all positions of power in an independent governing body.
  4. The financials of the organization should be absolutely public. (A 5-6 line "summary" does NOT count.)
  5. The financials of the organization should be done by an independent, outside accounting firm. (EDIT: The accounting firm should have the ability to redact limited salary information at THEIR discretion.)
  6. The votes of the Board should be public.
  7. There should be term limits for all elected/appointed officials.
  8. Nominations and appointments should be based on merit, not seniority, friendships, "loyalty", or quid pro quo.
  9. Board seats belong to the public, not to companies. (If a Cheer Athletics person resigns their seat on the board, then Cheer Athletics doesn't get to appoint the replacement. The replacement is decided by the same process that elected that seat in the first place.)
  10. There should be a much more fair and representative distribution of board seats. suggestion - 1/3 EP, 1/3 coaches-gym owners, 1/3 "other". (Industry vendors, media, judges, neutral outside party, etc.)
  11. Worlds must be moved to an adequate venue ASAP. Sub-contracting out the event deserves strong consideration.
  12. No single conglomerate should control/occupy more than 3 total seats on the board.
  13. Coach board seats should have regional representation. Nominations/Voting for those seats should be a completely open process.
  14. The USASF should control all of the intellectual property of Worlds.
  15. The USASF should not control what events athletes/gyms/judges/coaches can go to. If Worlds can't compete with other "World Championships", then make Worlds better. Don't threaten people with being banned from Worlds because your event can't compete on it's own merit.
  16. Event Producers should be allowed to host bid-giving events wherever and whenever they choose (up to the number of bids they are qualified.) Protectionism for certain events and event producers is not acceptable. If those events can't compete with other events, then they should make their event better. Don't threaten event producers with being banned from USASF to help certain EPs.
  17. Judge education/training, standardized scoring, coaches training, gym owner business training all need to be moved up the priority list.
  18. Controlling the uniforms, tumbling rule decisions outside of the NACCC/Rules Committee, PR & focus groups, and the amount hugging/excitement allowed after performances should be moved off of the priority list.
I would add:

19. USASF offices and employees should be free from Varsity (or any other private company's) control. Any non-compete clause should be allowed to expire at it's normal rate. (If you have a Varsity non-compete for 2 years after cessation of employment, your time at USASF doesn't count as time at "Varsity" time.)

20. Bills/proposals/etc that get voted on by the board are made public prior to their vote. The secrecy that pervades the process is damaging to the legitimacy of the USASF and completely unnecessary. If a board member doesn't have the strength to vote for something and stand behind it publicly, then they either shouldn't be a board member or shouldn't be voting in a way they are ashamed of. (I am willing to stand behind and defend ALL of my votes if they want to make those public.) A VERY LIMITED amount of discretion regarding financially sensitive information should be allowed for. This power should rarely be used and only allowed when signed off on by the independent accounting firm. (see #5)

21. The entire contract with Disney should be made public. Any extension of this contract should be made with the full knowledge, oversight, and approval of the board. Any side deals, kickbacks, or collusion with other Disney contracts should be made available to the entire membership of the board.

22. Any board member or full-time USASF employee should be required to disclose any and all ownership in cheer-related businesses and all cheer-related business with which they are partnered/under contract for/have potential conflict of interest with. Also, all ownership interest of their employers must be revealed. (If you are a CheerSport employee, then the exact nature of CheerSport's ownership should be public information.)

A few points:

1. I disagree with the concept that 2/3 of the seats on the board would be held by event producers and industry vendors. I would argue that at most they should have 1/3 of the seats on the board combined, and that's probably pushing it.

2. Totally agree with sub-contracting Worlds and opening it up to the highest bidder. I've been saying that for as long as I've been on the board. The USASF shouldn't be in the EP business.

3. No conglomerate should hold more than 1 seat on the board. Period.

Soooo hypothetically speaking, if a new venue was built on WWOS property, would people support the Worlds location more?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If it was big enough to support the event AND future growth, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't think they really have a need for a giant arena there.

If it was big enough to support the event AND future growth, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't think they really have a need for a giant arena there.

They have 4 or 5 weekends there a year don't they?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Soooo hypothetically speaking, if a new venue was built on WWOS property, would people support the Worlds location more?

I assume that you mean a venue worthy of hosting a World Championship? It wouldn't hurt, but the expense and monotony of having it at Disney year after year is still a major turn-off.

I still believe that the opportunity cost of continuing to have it in that sardine can at WWOS is astronomical.

Back