All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Understand the tuition issue, but maybe the gyms should consider scheduling competitions that allow the athletes to have time to strengthen and condition. Why not spend the summer conditioning and not allow kids to miss these practices, other sports do it.
I can only speak for my gym (but I assume most others try the same thing) we TRY TRY TRY to require summer practices and give several "weeks off" during the summer, but it never fails that "Suzy HAS to go to the beach this weekend with her best friend she hasn't seen in two days or she will not make it through the rest of the summer" I always laugh at this bc or gym is about 30 min from the beach, heck girl go to the beach just be back for practice! Summers are always hard for all gyms to get consistent attendance, nature of the beast. I'd LOVE an off season, but competition is getting tougher, less time in the gym = less competitiveness. I wish there was a way to balance it out but summer is time for conditioning and PROGRESSIONS!

This is not a sport like, say, varsity baseball, where you can play the season, then take a bunch of time off and maybe take up another varsity sport in the meantime, and then expect to pick right back up in baseball when the next season rolls around. There is no true offseason in a type of sport like this where skill deterioration can be rapid for many a tumbler. Look at competitive gymnasts- they still are training nearly every single day and doing skills pretty much immediately after their season ends. At least cheerleading does not require that type of overwhelming commitment (although it's still obviously a sizable commitment, sure). I do think maybe there should be more of break before teams have tryouts though. Some gyms are already done with tryouts... It seems very rushed.

Have we considered the muscle deterioration that would occur over an extended break? IMO that could be just as dangerous in the long run as muscle overuse...athletes coming back and expecting to step right in where they left off.

Have to agree with this. My cp had a shoulder sprain last fall and had to take 3 weeks off. Even that relatively short amount of time had an effect on her tumbling. She overcame it quickly enough, but she is already concerned that the time off she is taking now will give her difficulty when she goes back...and we're just trying to make her rest for 2 weeks.

Have we considered the muscle deterioration that would occur over an extended break? IMO that could be just as dangerous in the long run as muscle overuse...athletes coming back and expecting to step right in where they left off.

I can only speak to my experience. When my daughter was out and forced to rehab, cross train, she came back stronger and in better condition than she was before she went out. Her Dr's, Surgeons, and Physical Therapist are shocked that we do not have an off season and we do not cross train. Cross Training does not allow for "muscle deteration", it strengthens the mussels that do not get worked from single use movement. Making for balanced strength. Now if you sit on the couch during this break eating ring dings and drinking sweet tea that is a different story.

In fact her orthopedic that worked her Stress Fracture, is also a Dr for the Philadelphia Eagles and uses words like, negligent, and insane when he speaks to the issue of the amount of repetitive motions on a youth body, mussel fatigue and limited recovery after work out, and the lack of down time and off season in cheerleading. Did he treat the injury aggressively as an athlete, yes, but he also put her in a hard cast when he could have gone with the boot, knowing that there would be a chance she would take the boot off to cheer. He also had her in aggressive rehab that addressed the issues on both feet. He refused to allow her to wear a brace once she was cleared to return, as he wanted her to build her mussels up.

This is not a sport like, say, varsity baseball, where you can play the season, then take a bunch of time off and maybe take up another varsity sport in the meantime, and then expect to pick right back up in baseball when the next season rolls around. There is no true offseason in a type of sport like this where skill deterioration can be rapid for many a tumbler. Look at competitive gymnasts- they still are training nearly every single day and doing skills pretty much immediately after their season ends. At least cheerleading does not require that type of overwhelming commitment (although it's still obviously a sizable commitment, sure). I do think maybe there should be more of break before teams have tryouts though. Some gyms are already done with tryouts... It seems very rushed.

Gymnasts do not do repetitive skills. They train core and cross train. Cheerleading needs to do the same. No one is saying take 5 weeks off and do nothing, Work your core and you will be better and stronger

Most of our teams were done competing in mid-March (with the exception of our Worlds team). So, both my girls are essentially in their "off-season" right now. Our tryouts will be in early May, so they have about 7 or 8 weeks in between. Both of my CPs like to continue to train in the gym during that time through open workout sessions and tumbling clinics. It's much more low key and not nearly as intense training as it is during the regular season, but it keeps their current skills fresh and let's them work some new skills in preparation for tryouts.

Have to agree with this. My cp had a shoulder sprain last fall and had to take 3 weeks off. Even that relatively short amount of time had an effect on her tumbling. She overcame it quickly enough, but she is already concerned that the time off she is taking now will give her difficulty when she goes back...and we're just trying to make her rest for 2 weeks.

My daughter, a Base at Uof L, had surgery to repair her rotator cuff in December. The surgeon had her in PT 3 days a week, working both shoulders and was cleared to be on mat for Cheersport stronger and with greater flexibility. Do not be afraid to ask her DR for PT. Most insurance will cover it. On a side note if she was not cleared she would not have been allowed to cheer

Gymnasts do not do repetitive skills. They train core and cross train. Cheerleading needs to do the same. No one is saying take 5 weeks off and do nothing, Work your core and you will be better and stronger
Agree! My older CP suffers from Osgood Schlatter in her one knee and is currently taking a month off from any tumbling or jumping, but during that time she still does her rehab exercises for her knee and conditions her core and upper body. I would love to see all star implement a standard conditioning program similar to what they have in gymnastics (but tailored to their skill sets).

I can only speak to my experience. When my daughter was out and forced to rehab, cross train, she came back stronger and in better condition than she was before she went out. Her Dr's, Surgeons, and Physical Therapist are shocked that we do not have an off season and we do not cross train. Cross Training does not allow for "muscle deteration", it strengthens the mussels that do not get worked from single use movement. Making for balanced strength. Now if you sit on the couch during this break eating ring dings and drinking sweet tea that is a different story.

In fact her orthopedic that worked her Stress Fracture, is also a Dr for the Philadelphia Eagles and uses words like, negligent, and insane when he speaks to the issue of the amount of repetitive motions on a youth body, mussel fatigue and limited recovery after work out, and the lack of down time and off season in cheerleading. Did he treat the injury aggressively as an athlete, yes, but he also put her in a hard cast when he could have gone with the boot, knowing that there would be a chance she would take the boot off to cheer. He also had her in aggressive rehab that addressed the issues on both feet. He refused to allow her to wear a brace once she was cleared to return, as he wanted her to build her mussels up.
My comment was in regard to having an off-season. Not to PT. For athletes not injured and undergoing rehab activity, there will be significant muscle deterioration during a break. I believe (but don't quote me on this) muscle deterioration begins on the 4th day of non use. After taking a month or so off if they come back to the gym expecting to pick up where they left off, there are going to be injuries. Can the gyms absorb the time it takes to get them back 'in shape' before they begin full-out practices and tumbling again?

Gymnasts spend a lot of time conditioning and strengthening. In Cheer you do not see a lot time spent in this area. The injuries that have been discussed that could have occurred as result of tumbling, may not be poor coaching of the skill but poor muscle strength. My daughter tore her ACL this season not in cheer gym but tumbling outside of the gym. The doctor's and the PT believe it was fluke, maybe not preventable, but the focus has been on making her leg muscle stronger so that she doesn't suffer another injury. Strong leg muscle can absorb the force of the tumbling skills better and put less pressure on the ACL. Off season would be a time where they are required to go to practice but the focus is on making their bodies stronger not learning new skills. In my opionion it should be mandatory and they should spend at least 30 minutes a practice even during the season.

Too many different posts that could be addressed or quoted here. But I'll just say I'm all for a month or two break, even though some things may sound contradictory. The problem with a non-stop full year program is it can be taxing, not just physically, but mentally for both athletes AND parents.

This is the 2nd year it appears that my athlete will NEED to take time off to allow an injury to heal. I'm not for a break strictly to tend to injuries. I think you need it for that, but mostly for the social aspect and mental downtime. I'm sure parents wouldn't mind a small 2 month money break as well. I'm all for what wcdad is saying with conditioning however I don't think a mandatory break is the time for that. I do not question that it can not only prevent injuries, but improve performance. But as some have mentioned, this needs to be done alongside normal practicing.

As for the issue with gyms losing lost tuition, I get that. But keep in mind there is still a direct relation their costs and EPs profits. I don't know what the overhead is for running a competition, but I'm sure they could cut some of the fees. For the gyms that use the all in one tuition fee, they could offset those break months with reduced comp fees.

I also wanted to add how atheletes will "hide" or play down injuries because they are afraid to loose thier spots. I have seen this happen a lot! How is this addressed? As a parent I hope I would be able to tell if my cp was injured more than she was letting on but maybe as she gets older it will be more difficult?
Are over bearing parents just as much to blame as they dont want cp to not be on the mat for a comp? Are coaches asking kids to put on a brace and suck it up?
.....just food for thought.....

I think counting braces is not an accurate representation of injury. I know of at least one kid who wears a brace due to growing pains (not a real injury but when the bones grow faster than tendons it is very painful. Apparently certain braces help with the pain) and my CP has a brace on one knee because of a loose PCL ligament. She isn't injured and will eventually grow herself out of the problem but until then, she is in a brace. Neither of these situations is an injury per se. Sometimes braces are just support not a badge of injury!

Back