All-Star Usasf/naccc Results Posted

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Les was my next step.
wink.png

Not ideal but if you have to do the placements for the parents, maybe do both scenarios behind the scenes and then see how many athletes are directly affected. Let those fee know that placements could change. Or just say placements are preliminary for a few weeks until the new rules are communicated.

And I was assuming maybe incorrectly that it was pressure from parents / athletes to make the team assignments by Sunday. :)

Ran into an issue:
A local All-star gym is having its all-star tryouts this weekend and I will be helping with All star with team placements.
I have ran into the issue of wither or not #30 will pass. This is the rule that would change age limits to every 3 years starting at tiny being 6 and under, mini 9 and under.... and so forth...
They have promised tryout results to be posted Sunday night.
What direction would you take if you were in this situation?
They are a mostly "younger age" gym and this rule will affect there team placement in a huge way.
Should I go by the current age guidelines, or go ahead and make teams as if the new rule will pass?

I would make the teams with 36 and adjust later if 30 passes.

Nothing is going to prevent someone from leaving if they are unhappy "in the night" or the day. I guess I just don't get why everyone is so happy to finally have a way to punish kids that want out. Do you really want someone on your team that doesn't want to be there? A season seems extreme since some gyms basically run all year with only a few weeks off after April. People keep comparing this to college or "other sports". All other youth sports like baseball and football only have 3 or 4 month "seasons" to begin with. They basically run all year but have a few defined breaks that allow a kid an out. These aren't adults in college they are children so there is no way to compare the two.
I might be somewhat inclined to support it if gym owners could be held accountable too. You can't just hold an athlete because you have a rivalry with the other gym or your pissed the kid wants to leave. Better to have a procedure that allows kids to bow out gracefully. All balances must be paid, and a 60 day waiting period before you can compete again or something to that effect.
As the proposed rule stands gym owners can be nasty and mean and hold a waiver over a kids head if they choose to. People are going to leave. Having set guidelines for both sides holds everyone to the same standard.It can protect both the gym owner and the athlete. They way the rule is now seems to only consider the gym not its clientele.
A whole year or even 9 month "season" is unheard of in youth spots.

Nothing is going to prevent someone from leaving if they are unhappy "in the night" or the day. I guess I just don't get why everyone is so happy to finally have a way to punish kids that want out. Do you really want someone on your team that doesn't want to be there? A season seems extreme since some gyms basically run all year with only a few weeks off after April. People keep comparing this to college or "other sports". All other youth sports like baseball and football only have 3 or 4 month "seasons" to begin with. They basically run all year but have a few defined breaks that allow a kid an out. These aren't adults in college they are children so there is no way to compare the two.
I might be somewhat inclined to support it if gym owners could be held accountable too. You can't just hold an athlete because you have a rivalry with the other gym or your pissed the kid wants to leave. Better to have a procedure that allows kids to bow out gracefully. All balances must be paid, and a 60 day waiting period before you can compete again or something to that effect.
As the proposed rule stands gym owners can be nasty and mean and hold a waiver over a kids head if they choose to. People are going to leave. Having set guidelines for both sides holds everyone to the same standard.It can protect both the gym owner and the athlete. They way the rule is now seems to only consider the gym not its clientele.
A whole year or even 9 month "season" is unheard of in youth spots.

There is actually plenty of time to leave- Before the first competition. For some teams, that's from tryouts (Anywhere between April-May) almost all the way out to Sept-Nov, and for some December! That means if you start in April, and the first competition is September, you have 5 whole months to make a decision, and in most cases more. And as of now (although I don't know if this changes next year) it only counts for Worlds teams, meaning level 5 and 6. To me, that's plenty of time for someone to make a decision whether or not to leave a gym. While yes, some things don't come up until competition season, it IS up to adults to make a decision: the adults paying the check aka the PARENTS. This puts things in the parents hands: be smart about where you're putting your child (and your money) or risk not competing at all. Will I think this is a perfect system, no. But I don't think it's the devil in the shadows that people seem to fear.

I still really think that a process needs to be made so that an athlete can appeal the gym decision to the USASF. This way if a gym owner is being shady in the process it can be done fair and the athlete does not have to suffer. The rule itself is a great idea, but there is way too big of a loop hole for gym owners/coaches. Say you start the season and then the problems start happening. You cannot control what happens a month after the season starts. The USASF needs an appeal process where the athlete fills out a report and the gym owner/coach has to fill out a paper as well and then the USASF decides if the process is working properly or the gym is taking advantage of the rule.

Here is an example. Say you have been with a gym for a few years and you are a month or two into the season. Things started out fine just like every other year, but at one competition you find out that your coaches and owner were with members of a senior team drinking together in the hotel room. Now these athletes are underage and the coaches clearly know this. As a parent you do not want your child to be part of an organization that works like that. As a parent you should be able to walk out of that gym and go somewhere that your child will be safe at. If that gym owner decides to not let that family go because of this new rule, how is that fair? There needs to be a way that the gym owners cannot over use this rule. I know that most of the time they will not, but there are times when it will happen and then how is that fair to that athlete?

I still really think that a process needs to be made so that an athlete can appeal the gym decision to the USASF. This way if a gym owner is being shady in the process it can be done fair and the athlete does not have to suffer. The rule itself is a great idea, but there is way too big of a loop hole for gym owners/coaches. Say you start the season and then the problems start happening. You cannot control what happens a month after the season starts. The USASF needs an appeal process where the athlete fills out a report and the gym owner/coach has to fill out a paper as well and then the USASF decides if the process is working properly or the gym is taking advantage of the rule.

Here is an example. Say you have been with a gym for a few years and you are a month or two into the season. Things started out fine just like every other year, but at one competition you find out that your coaches and owner were with members of a senior team drinking together in the hotel room. Now these athletes are underage and the coaches clearly know this. As a parent you do not want your child to be part of an organization that works like that. As a parent you should be able to walk out of that gym and go somewhere that your child will be safe at. If that gym owner decides to not let that family go because of this new rule, how is that fair? There needs to be a way that the gym owners cannot over use this rule. I know that most of the time they will not, but there are times when it will happen and then how is that fair to that athlete?

Well first, as a parent there would be quite a bit more at stake in the specific situation you listed...it's against the law for one. If any parent didn't take the appropriate measures after that type of incident (I'm assuming it's hypothetical?), I would find that more problematic than wanting to switch gyms. However, I do understand the point you're trying to make....there could be a list a mile long of legitimate reasons, etc.

There is actually plenty of time to leave- Before the first competition. For some teams, that's from tryouts (Anywhere between April-May) almost all the way out to Sept-Nov, and for some December! That means if you start in April, and the first competition is September, you have 5 whole months to make a decision, and in most cases more. And as of now (although I don't know if this changes next year) it only counts for Worlds teams, meaning level 5 and 6. To me, that's plenty of time for someone to make a decision whether or not to leave a gym. While yes, some things don't come up until competition season, it IS up to adults to make a decision: the adults paying the check aka the PARENTS. This puts things in the parents hands: be smart about where you're putting your child (and your money) or risk not competing at all. Will I think this is a perfect system, no. But I don't think it's the devil in the shadows that people seem to fear.

So the waiver would only be required after a competition? There are competitions in our area in August. June to August is 2 months. So many ways to manipulate the rule. This rule is very one sided. Either have an appeals process or a set process that allows for an exit that benefits both sides. I completely agree no one should leave mid season leave but there are many legitimate reasons that are appropriate. This rule is making the assumption that all gym owners will act appropriately all the time. If you are going to hold athletes accountable for changing their minds, gym owners should be held accountable also.
If a child makes a level 4 team competes level 4 once and the owner coach decides to drop to level 3 then what? There should be a waiver for that too. Athletes aren't the only ones who change their minds mid season.

Back