All-Star Usasf/naccc Results Posted

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If tosses are eliminated in mini, regardless of level, kids who go from mini 2 to youth 3 (a pretty common path at my kids' gym, and I imagine at others) will go directly to full baskets without ever having learned how to fly in or base a straight ride basket.

Does anyone else see a problem with this? We have all discussed the need for safe progression in the sport...this just doesn't seem like a proper progression to me.

Read the very first page of this thread.

Thanks ACEDAD...I did read the entire thread before asking the question and on the first page it says "March 1, 2011
Rules for the 2011-2013 seasons will be announced."

I was confused by the "2011-2013 seasons". I didn't know if there was a typo, but after rereading and seeing that it says seasonS as opposed to season, I am guessing that that means the new rules go into affect in the upcoming (2011/2012) season and will stay in place through the following season (2012/2013). Is that right?

If tosses are eliminated in mini, regardless of level, kids who go from mini 2 to youth 3 (a pretty common path at my kids' gym, and I imagine at others) will go directly to full baskets without ever having learned how to fly in or base a straight ride basket.

Does anyone else see a problem with this? We have all discussed the need for safe progression in the sport...this just doesn't seem like a proper progression to me.

I find a flaw in your logic. That is assuming all youth 3 kids come from mini. As well, the same thing can be said for all youth 5 kids who were minis last year. They have never done all the skills they are about to be asked to compete.

It is scarier to have Mini kids throw mini kids than it would be to teach youth 3 how to straight ride than twist in the same year.

I find a flaw in your logic. That is assuming all youth 3 kids come from mini. As well, the same thing can be said for all youth 5 kids who were minis last year. They have never done all the skills they are about to be asked to compete.

It is scarier to have Mini kids throw mini kids than it would be to teach youth 3 how to straight ride than twist in the same year.

Heck yes it is!! (Sorry) Being serious now, I wouldn't mind the straight ride in all mini divisions (well except M1). I would hate to see the mini 3 division be eliminated so if the no baskets goes through while keeping the division, I am all for it.

Thanks ACEDAD...I did read the entire thread before asking the question and on the first page it says "March 1, 2011
Rules for the 2011-2013 seasons will be announced."

I was confused by the "2011-2013 seasons". I didn't know if there was a typo, but after rereading and seeing that it says seasonS as opposed to season, I am guessing that that means the new rules go into affect in the upcoming (2011/2012) season and will stay in place through the following season (2012/2013). Is that right?

That's correct. The rules changes are on a two year cycle. So when the final decisions are announced March 1, the rules will be the same for 2 seasons, then we'll go through this again in the middle of the 2012-2013 year.

That's correct. The rules changes are on a two year cycle. So when the final decisions are announced March 1, the rules will be the same for 2 seasons, then we'll go through this again in the middle of the 2012-2013 year.

thanks for explaining! ;)

Sooo you can hitch kick full in 4 but not hitch kick double in Open 5? Progression flaw. I am in favor of 90% of the rules that look like they will pass but NOT for the "season" rule. Maybe its because I just don't understand it fully. Does this mean that a kid can't go from one gym to another? I hate gym hoppers just as much as the next one BUT what if a kid isn't happy? I am sure MY gym has NO problem with releasing a kid to compete at another gym (unless they owe us money so a PLUS for that) BUT...WHAT IF that talented kid is unhappy where they are and a gym won't release them just out of spite? I know my gym gets kids all season so I'd appreciate any clarification. If I am reading that all wrong please correct me.

Sooo you can hitch kick full in 4 but not hitch kick double in Open 5? Progression flaw. I am in favor of 90% of the rules that look like they will pass but NOT for the "season" rule. Maybe its because I just don't understand it fully. Does this mean that a kid can't go from one gym to another? I hate gym hoppers just as much as the next one BUT what if a kid isn't happy? I am sure MY gym has NO problem with releasing a kid to compete at another gym (unless they owe us money so a PLUS for that) BUT...WHAT IF that talented kid is unhappy where they are and a gym won't release them just out of spite? I know my gym gets kids all season so I'd appreciate any clarification. If I am reading that all wrong please correct me.

My understanding is that once you compete with a gym after August 31st, you are only allowed to compete with that gym for the rest of the season unless they release you.

My understanding is that once you compete with a gym after August 31st, you are only allowed to compete with that gym for the rest of the season unless they release you.

So basically you'd better make sure of whether or not you're happy before the first competition. I know a lot of gym owners can be very spiteful, but I think since most people get about 5-6 months almost before the first actual competition, this should be enough time to know if you're going to be happy enough to stick it out. When we changed gyms, we waited until the end of the season and switched during May, even though we were unhappy long before that. This time we've moved--I would think most gym owners would release someone who has moved.

If it's genuinely a problem in which the owner/director/coach has done something WRONG that made someone switch and then they still wouldn't realease that person, I would hope there is a way to appeal to the right people to get permission to change gyms.

My understanding is that with this new rule, whatever gym you are affiliated with on August 31st is ONLY gym you will be able to compete with for that season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So you'll have all summer to figure out if you're happy. But as of Sept 1st you are committed for that season. I think that gives kids and parents ample time to decide.

So shouldn't the date of a season be Sept 1- May 1 or even June 1!? I'm just not a fan of Sept-Sept. Actually not a fan of any of it at all. I get the purpose but I'm for freedom of choice. AGAIN I HATE GYM HOPPERS but I just think if a kid or FAMILY wants to move gyms then so be it. I don't want an unhappy kid in my gym (which yes I have the freedom to release them) but I don't think people will do this.

agreed. i'm all for the tumbling restrictions for SO5 but not for baskets.

My understanding is that with this new rule, whatever gym you are affiliated with on August 31st is ONLY gym you will be able to compete with for that season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So you'll have all summer to figure out if you're happy. But as of Sept 1st you are committed for that season. I think that gives kids and parents ample time to decide.

My understanding is that once you compete with a gym at a USASF sanctioned event (after August 31), then that gym becomes your "primary" gym for the balance of the competition season.

So shouldn't the date of a season be Sept 1- May 1 or even June 1!? I'm just not a fan of Sept-Sept. Actually not a fan of any of it at all. I get the purpose but I'm for freedom of choice. AGAIN I HATE GYM HOPPERS but I just think if a kid or FAMILY wants to move gyms then so be it. I don't want an unhappy kid in my gym (which yes I have the freedom to release them) but I don't think people will do this.

I think it's important for people in this sport to realize that they can't just up and leave every time they don't get their way about something. And that happens quite often. I like the rule personally. I am so sick and tired of people coming to tryouts, preventing someone else from making a team, then quitting right before or during competition season. August 31st gives them enough time to figure out what they want to do without making the team suffer for their choices.

Back