All-Star Vent On Nca's Sandbagging Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Although I don't quite understand what this has to do with NCA's sandbagging policy. Could this not be done anywhere?

Since the gym cannot drop their senior 4 team down a level for NCA because they have previously competed as level 4 this season(we all know NCA says that is a no-no!) they instead are taking the senior 4's, putting them on senior 2, senior 2's to senior 1 and so on. The gym has already competed their senior 2 and 1 as that previously this season, the gym is eligible to compete a senior 2 & 1 at NCA. Since the gym feels like they have to drop levels somehow, they managed found a loophole because NCA has no rule about needing a percentage of your original roster from your previous competitions of the current season. And you are correct, doing this could be done anywhere, but no other competition besides NCA has a rule about sandbagging, and with the exception of maybe CheerSport and a handfull of other competitions where the competition is very tough, I don't know that a gym would have any real motivation to do so.

didn't they drop a level because of the crossover thing? They're Lg Sr 3 team also went....so I assume they had girls cross competing.

Since the gym cannot drop their senior 4 team down a level for NCA because they have previously competed as level 4 this season(we all know NCA says that is a no-no!) they instead are taking the senior 4's, putting them on senior 2, senior 2's to senior 1 and so on. The gym has already competed their senior 2 and 1 as that previously this season, the gym is eligible to compete a senior 2 & 1 at NCA. Since the gym feels like they have to drop levels somehow, they managed found a loophole because NCA has no rule about needing a percentage of your original roster from your previous competitions of the current season. And you are correct, doing this could be done anywhere, but no other competition besides NCA has a rule about sandbagging, and with the exception of maybe CheerSport and a handfull of other competitions where the competition is very tough, I don't know that a gym would have any real motivation to do so.
correct...

But this means The rule is working just as intended. Now all kids trying out for that gym next year knows they may just drop the level 2 team so the level 4 can take there place. And that was the point of the rule, force gyms to have that discussion. All that is suggested could happen with or without this rule.

Effective this season, teams attending NCA All-Star Nationals must register and compete in their legitimate USASF Level. Teams that intend to drop into a lower level at NCA Nationals must have competed in that lower level at least once at another USASF competition prior to February 25, 2012. Should a team's Level Eligibility be questioned by another program, NCA will request documentation of that team's participation at a previous event.

Okay so why would this gym not just drop the level 4 team to a level 3 team, compete once at that level before Feb 25th? Why screw an entire group of kids out of their chance to compete? The only reason I can come up with is to try and guarantee a jacket and they don't even have enough confidence in their level 4 team to think they could do well as level 3. SMH!

I just have to ask, though there seems to be a strong short term benefit to the team (they suddenly supposedly become the 'favorite' in level 2 and their local competition suddenly looks weak) does anyone actually think in the long run this will benefit that gym?

I understand having a team go against them is frustrating, but do you believe in the long term your gym 'playing it smart and consistent' will actually win overall? Or this year their 'possible' great success will mean that your gym will never win again and will lose all their kids to them?

How about this, if a level 3 level 4 and a level 5 team all drop down to level 2 who is the favorite to win and why?

I think some parents just want a win no matter how it's done, so in the long run might not have an impact on the gym at all.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Without rules place to stop this the most postive reaction we can have is to teach our parents and kids to focus on OUR gym, OUR team and OUR kids and how well they prepare/perform/place. If we don't like the rule or want a change, then become informed and see how you can influence the next rules vote. Parents should become more knowledgeable and call the USASF if you don't like a policy.

Worrying about what other people do takes focus from the real priorities and can only leave you spiteful.

Or this year their 'possible' great success will mean that your gym will never win again and will lose all their kids to them?

You would be suprised what perceived success will do to a smaller gym. The very first allstar gym we were at, we had been there for all of 2 months when the more established gym in town got their first Worlds bid. In IOC5 for that matter. It positively wiped out the entire program. They went from having 4 teams (S/J/Y/M) in March to having a half of a rec-type "learning" squad in June. We left that program that summer for our current gym. Ironically, a lot of the older kids that left the small gym for the bigger gym ended up dipping out in January of that very next season when a BIG name gym was rumored to be opening up a location in town.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

Without rules place to stop this the most postive reaction we can have is to teach our parents and kids to focus on OUR gym, OUR team and OUR kids and how well they prepare/perform/place. If we don't like the rule or want a change, then become informed and see how you can influence the next rules vote. Parents should become more knowledgeable and call the USASF if you don't like a policy.

I seriously doubt that 99.5% of cheer parents even know what the true role of the USASF is, how it impacts their child, or that they can help make a positive difference in the sport.

I seriously doubt that 99.5% of cheer parents even know what the true role of the USASF is, how it impacts their child, or that they can help make a positive difference in the sport.

Part of why the USASF gets to do what they want at their own pace.

Back