All-Star Weight Loss!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2010
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the best way is to lose weight. I am around 130 pounds and I want to be under 100 by tryouts next season. My stomach is pretty flat but I have a lot of fat on my hips, back, and thighs. I get a lot of exercise from practice, but these particular areas seem to stay the same. I haven't started a diet yet because I need to find one that will be effective. If you all know of any diets, exercises, or other tips that will help me they will be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the best way is to lose weight. I am around 130 pounds and I want to be under 100 by tryouts next season. My stomach is pretty flat but I have a lot of fat on my hips, back, and thighs. I get a lot of exercise from practice, but these particular areas seem to stay the same. I haven't started a diet yet because I need to find one that will be effective. If you all know of any diets, exercises, or other tips that will help me they will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you're about 4 feet tall, it sounds like you are already a healthy weight. I don't think anyone that weighs 130 pounds has "a lot of fat" anywhere. I would focus on a conditioning plan that works the areas with which you are unhappy and stop focusing on the number. Most of us aren't meant to be under 100 pounds. :)

Hi everyone,
Do you feel like you want to be under 100 pounds for college tryouts? In the past that might of been the case but now college cheerleaders are all sizes and positions so don't worry so much about the actual number but more the tone of your body. Don't try any crazy diet, go speak to a doctor or trainer and get their input. Goodluck!

100 is a pretty drastic number, and unless you're 5'1" or under that's going to put you in the underweight zone. Focusing on the number is never the best way to track your health anyway, because even people that are the same height/weight can have drastically different bodies.

That being said, if you want to track what you're eating in an effort to replace fatty/sugar foods with healthier foods, watch calorie consumption, and keep track of your exercise, I would recommend myfitnesspal.com. You can download an app for your phone and it has a barcode scanner and pretty much every food under the sun entered into it already. It will keep track of all the nutrion information and tell you exactly what you're consuming too much or too little of. It helps you change your eating habits for life, rather than putting you on a diet that will help you lose weight for a while, then make you gain weight once you're "done" and go back to eating normally.

The number of pounds you are is not indicative of how in shape you are. It's actually not overly indicative of much. I'm 5'6" and 150 lbs. Always have been, always will be. I work out, I eat right (most of the time), still 150 lbs.

Please don't go nuts trying to obtain this ideal that you think you need. I know I can't be a size 4, I've moved on and accepted that fact.

That said, if you want, I would suggest actually going through a doctor or dietician. Don't do something crazy like a juice fast or eating only spinach.
Keep in mind that being solid muscle vs fat, you'll just weigh more. A square inch of muscle is heavier than a square inch of fat. I'd also suggest using a trainer who can help you focus on your "problem" ares. For me, its my stomach, I work like a dog to keep it trim, and it doesn't always work. A trainer can help you specialize your workouts to make sure that your targeting your areas properly.

100 is a pretty drastic number, and unless you're 5'1" or under that's going to put you in the underweight zone. Focusing on the number is never the best way to track your health anyway, because even people that are the same height/weight can have drastically different bodies.

That being said, if you want to track what you're eating in an effort to replace fatty/sugar foods with healthier foods, watch calorie consumption, and keep track of your exercise, I would recommend myfitnesspal.com. You can download an app for your phone and it has a barcode scanner and pretty much every food under the sun entered into it already. It will keep track of all the nutrion information and tell you exactly what you're consuming too much or too little of. It helps you change your eating habits for life, rather than putting you on a diet that will help you lose weight for a while, then make you gain weight once you're "done" and go back to eating normally.
Love myfitnesspal.

Love myfitnesspal.

It's amazing! It's really opened my eyes to how I eat. I used to just count calories and not really take any of the other nutrion information into consideration and I'd always end up feeling sluggish and still hungry and it was hard to stay "good". Plus, poking around on the forums over there has been tremendously helpful and motivating. There's lots of good advice from people who have been very successful and are willing to share their story.

ADDERAL!!!!!! just kidding. :oops: But really when i found out i was lactose intolerant (god bless america, it IS the worst thing on the planet...) i literally lost 20 pounds. I switched all the milk i used (which isn't very much, considering i HATE milk plain) to soy milk, and then the rest of the things i had were soy. You would be really surprised on how many products have milk in them. Even most fast food restraunts put milk in their fries to make them crispier. I'm not saying milk isn't healthy, because it is, but cheese, and other dairy products are SO fattening that you don't even realize until you stop eating them and magically lose weight.

I lost around 30 lbs this summer but I'm on a prescribed weight loss pill which increases your metabolism and decreases your appetite and isn't safe for everyone. This blog has a lot of crazy workouts like P90X and Insanity and fun ones like Zumba!

Me being a middle child- Everything in moderation. How often do we hear on the news: too much red wine is bad, then some red wine is good. Too much coffee is bad, coffee can do good things for you. Too much soy can apparently give you breast cancer. Even carrots, which are full of nutrients, can turn you orange if you eat too much. Fo sho.

Weight is not a good indicator of HEALTH. You can be unhealthy and skinny, and unhealthy and bigger. And vice versa. Weight is a body's relative mass, which is defined by gravity. Muscle mass/body fat index are better indicators of general health.

My philosophy is this: put good, WHOLE foods into it. Try to eat whole fruits and veggies, fresh is better than frozen is better than canned (I've eaten canned veggies in fiscal desperation. It happens). Try to stick to leaner cuts of meat (if necessary), and balance out your diet with mostly fruits veggies, and smaller servings of protein and grains (unless your doctor has told you otherwise). Some people find the protein in milk to be a good post-workout drink. Others don't like it. Drink lots of water. What are your goals? Tailor your diet to them. If you're sedentary, you don't NEED a ton of calories. If you're trying to add some muscle, you might need a bit more than average protein. There's a reason Michael Phelps used to eat a truckload of calories in one meal. For the workouts he was doing, he NEEDED those calories for fuel. That's what a calorie DOES- it fuels your body. Have too much fuel, it gets stored. Don't get enough, you run out of energy. It's a balance. Try to be aware of what you burn, and keep things in a good range.

For the record, I'm a pretty stable 125-135. I'm about 5'4"-5'5". Any less than that and I'd look malnourished. My top half actually does look a bit thinner than I'd like, actually lol. But I've been active since I was 5 and know how my body reacts to workouts and what I need to keep me in a good range.

Back