High School Well...it Happened...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My husband says the minute kids become seniors they go from:
:shimmy:
To:
giphy.gif

Is anyone else have a problem with seniors taking their "seniority" too far ?

example: a girl made a semi-harmless comment on the mat about another girl because she was getting snippy about her spot and the snippy senior called her out and started yelling at her "don't talk to a senior that way" and I was like are you kidding me? You are supposed to be setting the example !

When I was a sophomore, a senior got kicked out of practice because she went off on me because I didn't bow down to her. On this particular team, the seniors were suppose to be the 'scary' and authoritative figures especially this particular girl. So while the other sophomores were scared of this girl, I wasn't. She made some rude comment about how I was in the wrong place when we were getting a new formation, and I guess she didn't like my answer. She threatened to fight me, I told her go ahead, our coach kicked her out. That's just my story. My seniors my sophomore year were full of issues, my HS coach says it was the worst drama she ever dealt with in 15 years of coaching.

My year tried to do the same thing, but honestly I've never thought about seniority as the leadership quality or something that gives you some status. I always thought skill spoke volumes and I out skilled most of my HS teammates so I was in my own bubble.

Last edited:
When I was a sophomore, a senior got kicked out of practice because she went of on me because I didn't bow down to her. On this particular team, the seniors were suppose to be the 'scary' and authoritative figures especially this particular girl. So while the other sophomores were scared of this girl, I wasn't. She made some rude comment about how I was in the wrong place when we were getting a new formation, and I guess she didn't like my answer. She threatened to fight me, I told her go ahead, our coach kicked her out. That's just my story. My seniors my sophomore year were full of issues, my HS coach says it was the worst drama she ever dealt with in 15 years of coaching.

My year tried to do the same thing, but honestly I've never thought about seniority as the leadership quality or something that gives you some status. I always thought skill spoke volumes and I out skilled most of my HS teammates so I was in my own bubble.
We kind of have this situation now, we have a freshman who was a junior elite gymnast and she helps everyone with their tumbling and gives them good pointers.. we always ask her for tips for the other kids.. shes like our little in home tumbling instructor -- well some of the girls don't like that and they also don't like how she is a very bubbly person and has a strong personality and they cant handle it .. they've gone as far as saying she is a "bully" and shes like 5 ft tall maybe 90 pounds lol

I'm silently praying for the day I can kick a girl out of my gym, just for the sole reason being I know girls don't think I have it in me .. I'm "nice cop" coach lol

We kind of have this situation now, we have a freshman who was a junior elite gymnast and she helps everyone with their tumbling and gives them good pointers.. we always ask her for tips for the other kids.. shes like our little in home tumbling instructor -- well some of the girls don't like that and they also don't like how she is a very bubbly person and has a strong personality and they cant handle it .. they've gone as far as saying she is a "bully" and shes like 5 ft tall maybe 90 pounds lol

Size isn't relative to a girl being a bully. This particular girl may not be one; that does not mean that a petite girl cannot be a bully. Girls are usually not physical. They bully in social and emotional ways.

Oh those girls both loved and hated me. They loved me because I had the skills that we just didn't have tumbling wise, but hated me because I wasn't a submissive little sophomore like my other classmates. They literally made a girl break out into tears over a backhandspring when none of them really could do it themselves. A one got co-captain and she was too weak to do anything in her position. I knew these girls from middle school so I was never really intimidated/I realized they were all talk. We didn't have seniors my freshman year, so they were the oldest girls for two years. Our coach my freshman year was trash and really favored them. When the current coach really nipped that behavior in the bud.

Oh those girls both loved and hated me. They loved me because I had the skills that we just didn't have tumbling wise, but hated me because I wasn't a submissive little sophomore like my other classmates. They literally made a girl break out into tears over a backhandspring when none of them really could do it themselves. A one got co-captain and she was too weak to do anything in her position. I knew these girls from middle school so I was never really intimidated/I realized they were all talk. We didn't have seniors my freshman year, so they were the oldest girls for two years. Our coach my freshman year was trash and really favored them. When the current coach really nipped that behavior in the bud.

A good, strong coach really can make all the difference.

A good, strong coach really can make all the difference.

This woman has literally changed the program to the point that the current athletes have no clue about how things used to be. From no tumbling, last place, unprepared and frankly dangerous routines, to squad back handsprings, safe, clean, regional placing routines in the course of 5 years. The entire community compliments her for her work.

Anyone have any issues with girls giving an attitude when you switch their formations - more specifically, their stunt groups? I had one ridiculously solid stunt group and one that was struggling, so I switched the flyers. Now both groups can hit, but the flyer who used to be on the better group is pissed off and making her new group feel terrible by crying and rolling her eyes at them. When I talked to her she said something along the lines of, "Well it's not my fault that they're bad but you're punishing me."

I already tried telling her it was a compliment because I trust her enough to fly on this less experienced group, and that it was in the best interest of the team, but she's definitely gotten very standoffish since the change. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on what else I could do.

The ironic thing is, and I mentioned this, that last year she was actually brought up from JV to Varsity. She flew on experienced bases who did the same thing to her (rolling their eyes, getting pissed that they had a flyer that was 'terrible', etc.), and the team constantly got down on her for not 'being on their level'.

She's a good kid and an amazing cheerleader, but this attitude is really putting a damper on her new group, and I can definitely tell it offends them. This is only my second year coaching this team so any tips and tricks would be appreciated - I coached younger kids beforehand and never had these issues!

Anyone have any issues with girls giving an attitude when you switch their formations - more specifically, their stunt groups? I had one ridiculously solid stunt group and one that was struggling, so I switched the flyers. Now both groups can hit, but the flyer who used to be on the better group is pissed off and making her new group feel terrible by crying and rolling her eyes at them. When I talked to her she said something along the lines of, "Well it's not my fault that they're bad but you're punishing me."

I already tried telling her it was a compliment because I trust her enough to fly on this less experienced group, and that it was in the best interest of the team, but she's definitely gotten very standoffish since the change. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on what else I could do.

The ironic thing is, and I mentioned this, that last year she was actually brought up from JV to Varsity. She flew on experienced bases who did the same thing to her (rolling their eyes, getting pissed that they had a flyer that was 'terrible', etc.), and the team constantly got down on her for not 'being on their level'.

She's a good kid and an amazing cheerleader, but this attitude is really putting a damper on her new group, and I can definitely tell it offends them. This is only my second year coaching this team so any tips and tricks would be appreciated - I coached younger kids beforehand and never had these issues!

This is a difficult one, but im gonna try it anyway...
Im a teaching assistant (last year in school) and i do spec ed. Primary school.
We have a good kid thats sometimes difficult to handle.. He provokes a lot of kids and when they react, he tells on them.
Last week we sat down the class and while talking about his complaints, they told us, what i mentioned above and jow thry feel its not okay. We let the kids do the talking, and explained to him that they want to see another side of him, the kind and hardworking one instead of this clownesk, provoking lil boy.
Its difficult, but someimes they need to hear the ugly truth of what their behavior is doing with others.

In your specific case, i would do the same thing...
Sit down your team, ask the bases how they felt last year, and ask her how that made her feel.
Then let her new group be a very big mirror by telling her what her behaviour is doing to them.
Guide it by translating it into -> you didnt feel good last year, but right now , youre doing the same damn thing to them. Its going to lead tobthem not being willing to stunt with you any longer.
What both i and your stuntteam need to see from you is abc...
Let the bases tell her that because she is more exp. They learn from her and can thus improve and hit the stunts...
But not if shes so negative.

The goal with this is letting her reflect on being the one in the position your 1 stuntgroup is now in, and how the other girls made her feel and next you show her that huge mirror through her peers.

And as a very last resort you might want to warn her that having a good attitude and being a teamplayer, are a huge part of being ON the squad.

Last edited:

We are only in our 2nd year in my current program, and the former coaches purposely stacked groups - so that they would have 1 or 2 excellent stunt groups and the rest were poop. So they were completely horrified when we came in and spread the groups and created all "good enough" groups instead of a star group. Enter complaining and eye rolling (and even some gossip about purposely dropping stunts to get back to their old groups).

Since they were previously non-competitive, we sat them down and explained
1) how the scoresheet worked, and how their difficulty score will tank if they have 1 or 2 libs and a bunch of preps or shaky extensions
2) they are a team and are only as good as the worst group
3) and it hasn't reached the point yet for you, but we also pointed out that if we ever find out someone is purposely dropping stunts, they will be off the team and in the AD's office before they can even blink

We are only in our 2nd year in my current program, and the former coaches purposely stacked groups - so that they would have 1 or 2 excellent stunt groups and the rest were poop. So they were completely horrified when we came in and spread the groups and created all "good enough" groups instead of a star group. Enter complaining and eye rolling (and even some gossip about purposely dropping stunts to get back to their old groups).

Since they were previously non-competitive, we sat them down and explained
1) how the scoresheet worked, and how their difficulty score will tank if they have 1 or 2 libs and a bunch of preps or shaky extensions
2) they are a team and are only as good as the worst group
3) and it hasn't reached the point yet for you, but we also pointed out that if we ever find out someone is purposely dropping stunts, they will be off the team and in the AD's office before they can even blink

You go girl!

Back