All-Star What Are The Pros And Cons Of Level 4.2?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just not a fan of teams dropping levels so they can win. Obviously, you can't do anything about it, but it's always something that gets my blood pressure rising.
Yea I totally get what your saying because I wouldn't want even a not so great level 5 team dropping to level 4 and competing against my team

4.2 is a great option for limited tumbling skills, HS, and late allstar participants. Infinity's 4.2 squad (Fairfax VA) Dark Matter is a great example of the potential at 4.2 level. I've learned as a coach to meet people where they're at, and 4.2 is a perfect fit for many athletes!!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think the whole divisions a mess. Why would you create a uneven balance of skills between athletes. What does it prepare you for? A 3.2 would be a much better fit. But the best solution would be to scratch it period..

I'm not sure I'm following you. Who is 'creating' the uneven balance? The division exists because there is unevenness to begin with. So a girl who is not the strongest tumbler should not have an opportunity to advance her stunting skills if she excels at stunting?

I'm not sure I'm following you. Who is 'creating' the uneven balance? The division exists because there is unevenness to begin with. So a girl who is not the strongest tumbler should not have an opportunity to advance her stunting skills if she excels at stunting?
shes advancing her stunting skills while being behind on tumbling.... she should be focusing on advancing her tumbling skills so she can advance her stunting skills more... cheerleading isnt tumbling OR stunting and tumbling and stunting.

shes advancing her stunting skills while being behind on tumbling.... she should be focusing on advancing her tumbling skills so she can advance her stunting skills more... cheerleading isnt tumbling OR stunting and tumbling and stunting.
Yes...but at a certain point it's incredibly difficult to advance your tumbling. Some may say it's impossible. If you're a level 2 tumbler at age 17, you're most likely not going to advance. There's something holding you back--whether it's time in the sport, athletic ability, injury, etc. I think that it's a productive way to grow our sport. The division wasn't created to give everyone a trophy. Instead, it's a division that allows athletes to be challenged and progress without asking them to perform tumbling skills that they cannot physically do.

I was against the division when it was first created. However, I have changed my mind. It's perfect for the kids that have the ability to stunt, but will never tumble above a BHS....which is a lot of kids.

I was against the division when it was first created. However, I have changed my mind. It's perfect for the kids that have the ability to stunt, but will never tumble above a BHS....which is a lot of kids.

I have an amazing athlete that's been with me since she was 8. She is now 16 and has made HUGE progress in her tumbling skills. But she is a beast L2 tumbler and an amazing L4 stunter. She is who this division was created for.

She was one of those kids that would've never tumbled at all if she hadn't kept her butt in the gym 3-4 days a week for the last 8 years. L2 is her max. She could possibly make it to L3 but she is very scared to do a tuck. She may never do it. And that's ok.

I cheered a senior 4.2 team and I started cheer at 16 never cheering or doing a sport in my life. My stunting skills got amazing quick because I'm tall and naturally strong but tumbling never really worked for me. To this day I can't throw a backhand spring . And I may never get it but it's ok.

I think there are nothing but pros for the division. It is a place for kids to go who only have high school cheer experience. Most high schools (especially where I live) don't require any tumbling, but generally, perform level 3-4 stunts. They are already familiar with these stunts and don't want to be downgraded to level 1-2 stunts. I'm so glad this division was created!

i was on a 4.2 team one year, i literally have no tumbling what so ever, but have always been able to stunt above level which is the main reason i was always on level 3 or 4 prior.

I have found the ones that are most critical of this division whether athlete, parent or coaches, have absolutely no ties to this division. I don't like to assume anything, but I think much of the criticism stems from the mere fact people don't feel these kids should jump to a level 4 category, when Susie and Sam worked hard for years and progressed level to level with their tumbling.

Take ego, emotion and "I feel" out of it. There is a reason 4.2 is only in the Sr. category. Are the athletes capable of level 4 stunting? Does this help small gyms create a team that otherwise can't? Does it give higher level injured or those struggling with mental blocks a place to go? Is it a good place for HS cheerleaders that want to try All Star? Is it a good place for kids that started cheer late in life? At the end of the year did the athletes put together a successful level 4.2 routine? Were they proud of their accomplishment? If the answer is "yes" to these questions, then the creators of this division have been successful in making a home for hundreds of athletes that otherwise would have left or never tried All Star.

Just a few questions for someone who has never had one but has a few kids who would do well in it, once you are in 4.2 is that where you stay? Is moving to a level 3 team the next season a downgrade? Upgrade? Do you get complacent with your level and not try to advance your tumbling?

Back