All-Star What Are The Pros And Cons Of Level 4.2?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can see and agree with both sides on this level. From my experience and the 4.2 teams ive seen they are all not very good level 4 stunters. Actually most of the level 4.2 teams that I have seen are almost scary to watch. It seems to me that at a lot of gyms these are the left over kids that don't have enough to be on a level 4 team or even a level 3 team. So its mostly kids that have never stunted level 4. Going from level 2 stunting to level 4 stunting is a big jump. It just seems like most of the teams I have seen at competitions at this level are not ready to compete the level 4 skills. I do agree that 3.2 divison would be a better compromise. The high school kids that dont have any tumbling or level 2 tumbling can still get to do extended stunts that they would do in high school. And this way you are not jumping 2 levels. This is just my opinion. I have seen a few very good 4.2
teams. But it is only a few.

True true. I think that they made level 4.2 instead of 3.2 to give us a challenge and to make money out of us by getting us to buy more stunting classes

This year is my first year on a 4.2 team. I've always wanted to be put on one because this division, in my opinion, was made for me. This is my 11th year cheering, (I'm 16 and I started when I was 5) and I still only have a bhs. Being on a level 2 team for so long kind of breaks your confidence, and I knew that I had so much more potential in the stunting area. This level has given me the drive to progress for my last 2 years of cheer, and now I have my round off bhs tuck. The level doesn't take away your drive, it brings back your confidence in your abilities. No cons for me, other than sandbagging.

I agree with @Audrey on this one. I wish there was an Open 4.2 because I, too, have aged out and barely have my backhandspring. I love stunting though and was always willing to try new things. I want to get back into cheer so badly but the closest open team is TG Open 4 in Miami..

I agree with @Audrey on this one. I wish there was an Open 4.2 because I, too, have aged out and barely have my backhandspring. I love stunting though and was always willing to try new things. I want to get back into cheer so badly but the closest open team is TG Open 4 in Miami..
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/quote]
I had a random thought regarding 4.2 today. And I hope this is on topic enough and I'm not derailing. But does anyone else think open 4.2 would make a lot more sense than open 4? If the purpose of open 4 is to provide a way for those who don't want to/can't do international 5 to keep cheering, I feel like downgrading from fulls to layouts doesn't make that much of a difference.
4.2 seems like it'd be such a good way to let older people continue in the sport in a more relaxed environment. Minimal impact on your older body from tumbling but still interesting from level 4 stunting. Plus, I'm 19. I aged out with a backhandspring and I'm realistically never going to get past a backhandspring, my body just won't let me. But I'd really like to keep cheering and I'm sure there are a lot of people on the same boat.

Apparently there is such thing as an open level 4.2 team!!!! But not in the U.S though.....

The biggest con I see is it is not broken down by co-ed versus all girl at least not at any of the comps I have been to. The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am on an open 4.2 team from canada and yeah they don't make it coed or all girl. It's all the same division. I can't say there's been any disadvantages to that. But it is a bit odd. The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That is weird.... So coed and all girl are both in the same division? Hm.

And something else I don't understand is how other countries have open level 4.2 teams and the U.S doesn't.....

Seriously though open 4.2 is such a great concept. Idk about you but when I'm 24 and desperately want to cheer again I don't think I could survive a level 4 or 5 routine (considering the fact I can barely survive a jam-packed level 2 or 3 one now). :wink:

The Fierce Board App!

That is weird.... So coed and all girl are both in the same division? Hm.

And something else I don't understand is how other countries have open level 4.2 teams and the U.S doesn't.....

I can only really speak for the UK but we do ages differently here- senior has no top limit so you can compete at any level aged 40 if you want (and I know some people do!) While cheer is growing among the younger age groups a significant proportion of cheerleaders here at the moment are open age and working level 2/3, so it doesn't make any sense to stop doing it like that here at right now. In the states (correct me if I'm wrong), the vast majority of cheerleaders are under 18 or cheer in college, reducing the demand for lower level open teams (although I think it would be great if they did exist!)

Back onto 4.2, I really like it :) mainly for reasons already stated haha. Just curious though, does anyone know why they went for 4.2, rather than say 5.2 or 5.3 or 3.2 or something?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just curious though, does anyone know why they went for 4.2, rather than say 5.2 or 5.3 or 3.2 or something?

I think they aligned it with the typical skill set of a U.S. high school team. The top level stunts they can perform are level 4 and the "average" high school cheerleader doesn't have much more than a BHS.

There is a Senior 3.1 for competitive rec too though.

I think they aligned it with the typical skill set of a U.S. high school team. The top level stunts they can perform are level 4 and the "average" high school cheerleader doesn't have much more than a BHS.

There is a Senior 3.1 for competitive rec too though.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

I can only really speak for the UK but we do ages differently here- senior has no top limit so you can compete at any level aged 40 if you want (and I know some people do!) While cheer is growing among the younger age groups a significant proportion of cheerleaders here at the moment are open age and working level 2/3, so it doesn't make any sense to stop doing it like that here at right now. In the states (correct me if I'm wrong), the vast majority of cheerleaders are under 18 or cheer in college, reducing the demand for lower level open teams (although I think it would be great if they did exist!)

Back onto 4.2, I really like it :) mainly for reasons already stated haha. Just curious though, does anyone know why they went for 4.2, rather than say 5.2 or 5.3 or 3.2 or something?

Thanks for explaining! And yes, you were correct :)

Reactions: Ren
Back