All-Star What Classes Are Offered?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

dawgshow

Cheer Parent
Oct 14, 2010
Just for my own curiosity, what classes are offered at your gym? For example, flight, stretch, strength, tumbling, etc...
Also, how big is your gym? Do you have a) less than 10 teams b) 10-15 teams c) more than 15 teams.

Just trying to check a theory of mine.

Just for my own curiosity, what classes are offered at your gym? For example, flight, stretch, strength, tumbling, etc...
Also, how big is your gym? Do you have a) less than 10 teams b) 10-15 teams c) more than 15 teams.

I consider us a medium sized gym.
A) for full travel teams
B) if you include half year/semi travel teams

We have tumble classes for each level 1-5, flight, & flexibility classes. We used to have jump classes, but they didn't last long. Not sure if it was due to low enrollment or coach availability.

We had 10 teams this past year, including special needs team and our prep team who start competing in December. We have tumbling classes for beginner, intermediate, and advanced tumblers three times a week each. We typically have flight school, flexibility, strength and conditioning, and jump tech during the summer but only flight school, flexibility, and strength and conditioning during the season. We also will do free jump clinics during the season for our athletes as well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My cps tumble at a tiny gym. They had two team last year: an S3 and either a youth or junior team.

All classes have a variety of skill levels. They separate out by skill level during class. The allstar girls often don't participate in the group stretching. They sit and talk while in the big circle. It is odd.

Needless to say, but there are no special flyer or flexibility classes and no privates that I know of.

It is the closest gym and is about an hour away.

Small gym (5 full year teams the past season). Flying, jumps, leveled tumbling (I think there are 4 tumbling classes weekly), and stunting classes.

"Mega" gym. All locations put out their own calendars but the two locations I deal with (Kville and Charlotte) both have regular tumbling classes divided up by tumbling level. Flyer flex classes are regularly scheduled as well as conditioning classes.

During "crunch times" (this happened prior to nca) every Sunday in Kville was repeating multiple "boot camp" classes for specific skills, running tumbling, standing tumbling, flexibility, strength, jumps, conditioning, baskets etc. Every kid got a report card with three areas to work on and were expected to be at those classes where they took attendance.

All of those (except the flyer flex classes) are included in tuition.

Over holidays and weekends coaches will sometimes do clinics and tumble camps as well. Those carry and extra fee but are usually 2-4 hours long and cost significantly less than what a private lesson for that time period would cost. There are also open gyms scheduled especially when many coaches are at a competition with other teams and there's some open floor time in a gym.

Between locations you could be at the gym in some class (outside of your team practice) basically everyday and some kids are.

Each gym my CPs have been at have offered tumbling classes, even the small gym we started with years ago. I can't imagine a gym NOT offering classes. 2 of the gyms charged extra for classes, current gym includes tumbling classes in their tuition. It is done more by skill vs. level. I think they have a beginner class, BHS/tuck class, beginning level 5 skills class and fulls/doubles class (standing and running for all classes).

At both of cp's gyms (current and former) they offer tumbling (multiple times per week), stunt classes, an occasional flight class, jumps and conditioning.

Kids get one tumbling class per week included in tuition (not sure of the rest) and are encouraged to attend more than one session.

Kids can also stay after practice or come in at random times to just play around and coaches will keep an eye on them. No limit on what they can work on as long as they are ready to progress. Lots of tumbling skills are developed during these play times.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Where Banberry is not just a drink

We have more than 15 teams. There is a flyer class during the early season for flyers. tumbling classes are by skill: intro, BHS, series BHS, tucks, layouts, fulls, and then there are elite level and specialty tumbling classes. jump class, too.
i think our other location has a stretch class. There are also 2 open gyms per week. Open gyms are just that: can literally go there and sit on your butt, or stunt or work on any skill you'd like.

Old gym had less than 10 teams, with stretch class and there was intro, intermediate and advance tumbling classes. open gym was once per week, but was run just like a tumbling class and you had to work on the skills you were currently working on. tumbling only.

We also tumbled at a small gym that had a stunt class and just offered a TON of regular tumbling classes. They were not by level, but they capped it at 10 kids/2 coaches and were 90 minutes long: 30 min running tumbling, 30 min standing tumbling and 30 minutes conditioning.

Old 'mega' gym had every class imaginable broken into skill they were working on, but no age restrictions. None were included in tuition, but AS kids paid $50/mo and non-AS paid $65 (I think? Maybe $80?) per month plus registration fee. Unlimited open gym (unstructured with no spotters). Privates are available but hard to get into (see other thread about that - Ha!)

New 'large' gym includes two classes per week. None are required. You don't sign up for a skill, just pick a time you can be there. Then they have different coaches at stations and you go to what you are working on. Great for busy HS kids whose schedule changes each week. Unlimited open gyms (unstructured with no spotters). Privates are available but I don't use them so not sure of the process.

Small gym with less than 10 full year teams.

Tumbling classes offered Mondays and Wednesdays, divided by levels. There was a Level 1/2, Level 2/3 and a level 4/5 class offered but if one class worked better into your schedule you could attend that one instead (which is what cp did this season) and they still work on the skills they should be working on. They are not included in tuition however are 1/2 price to full year athletes and very reasonably priced.

Open gym two nights a week.

Stretch/flex class one night a week.

Stunt group class one night a week but you needed to come with stunt group; you could not just come if you were looking to work on flying.

Privates varied times throughout week and weekends.

Kids could also come in before practice if they wanted/needed to work on something pertaining to that team. Cp went in a few times this season an hour before practice to work with her stunt groups on specific skills.

During breaks sometimes clinics offered - we had a 3-day stunt/jump/tumble one over the February break. 9am - 3 pm; $100 for full year athletes.

For June - all skill classes divided by levels, no teams or other classes. Athletes allowed to attend their level of most past season team(s) as well as one level up, but a level 2 athlete could not attend the level 4/5 stunting night. Kids pay either for the month and attend as many classes as they want or come in when they want and pay by the class.

We have 1. Tumbling 2. Flyer 3. Jumps 4. School cheer practices at our gym 5.cheer 101 6. Jr and tiny tumbling 7. From around January to April we have jr high and high school cheer tryout classes. The 2013-2014 season we had a) less then 10 teams but for the 20-4-2015 season we will have b) 10-15 teams!

We have 1. Tumbling 2. Flyer 3. Jumps 4. School cheer practices at our gym 5.cheer 101 6. Jr and tiny tumbling 7. From around January to April we have jr high and high school cheer tryout classes. The 2013-2014 season we had a) less then 10 teams but for the 20-4-2015 season we will have b) 10-15 teams!

And btw the teams I commented above is NOT including our 2 allstar prep teams, 2 dance teams and show team. Including those, we had b) 10-15 teams last year and this year we will have c) teams!

Cp is at a young medium sized gym with 13 teams total. (7 full year, and 5 prep and 1 for kids with special needs)

They have level specific tumble classes, which are also open to the public. They just started doing a combined Level 3-5 class which everyone is raving about.

They also just started "intensives" for the all star members. Beg and level1 athletes , lev 2 and 3, and the elites meet in their appropriate classes and work on everything except for stunting.

Also available during season to all stars is Flight School .

There are a few open gyms throughout the year and at least 4 special clinics (usually coed ones).

I would love to see a stunt class and a jump class on the schedule.

eta: several local highschool and rec teams rent space. Some even use our coaches as heads or for clean-up. Privates are also available, but you need to be registered for a tumble class

Last edited:
Back