All-Star What Is So Big About The Dallas Competition ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Since we are not on the subject, I have question about UCA nationals. I'm dating myself, but when I was in high school UCA nationals was the end all be all of competitions. this was for high school cheer and before all star really became popular. Think about 20 years ago. How does UCA compare now to NCA nationals in the all-star world? Is it still popular for high school cheer or is NCA the way to go now for that too?

My daughters in her 3rd year in AS cheer. I only ever cheered and competed in HS so this is all still pretty new for me.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well, my cp cheers at a big gym and what I distinctly recalled about NCA, the gym pulled out all the guns and they had important Parent Meetings, extra practices a full month before competition and they even had athletes stop taking privates and any extra tumbling classes and not work on any new tumbling before NCA, to minimize any athletes from getting hurt. (I cannot speak for all the teams in the gym -But for my daughter's team, the Coaches instructed them in this manner, I guess, because of the strict Crossover Rule) The gym had closed practices and practice at least 5 times a week instead of the regular 3(including Sat&Sun)... More importantly, the gym keeps the trophy and displays the banner in the gym instead of giving them away. Lastly, the winning teams were given special treatment and the whole gym stopped and the teams who won were given a special award ceremony.

Contrast that to UCA, there were no extra practices, and everybody were only excited about going to Disney. UCA was treated as any other competition on our schedule and there were no pressure placed on the athletes to win or else. The gym does not keep anything from this competition and they give away that huge 1st place trophy and banner, if a team win...

*All in all, there is a big difference in how NCA and UCA are perceived and treated....

Last edited:
Since we are not on the subject, I have question about UCA nationals. I'm dating myself, but when I was in high school UCA nationals was the end all be all of competitions. this was for high school cheer and before all star really became popular. Think about 20 years ago. How does UCA compare now to NCA nationals in the all-star world? Is it still popular for high school cheer or is NCA the way to go now for that too?

My daughters in her 3rd year in AS cheer. I only ever cheered and competed in HS so this is all still pretty new for me.

I feel that now, UCA High School Nationals is the NCA All Star national comparison. Does that help?

Me too! People ask me if I was ever spanked or grounded lol it never got that far because my moms eyes and looks were scary enough hahaha

I think my Mom knew she had to instill fear in us children while we were young and small in stature because when I reached 13-14 yo, I towered over my mother in height... My Mom is only like 5'1" but believe me, she still had that 'Madea' effect on us kids.... I mean it never happened, but I could just imagine my Mom taking out my knees and breaking me down to her height, easily... I know this, because she told me this when I started 'smelling myself' and appeared that I wanted to challenge her rules.

Last edited:
That makes total sense. So UCA is still "it" for high school cheer?

No, there are some AS gyms that go all out for UCA, but I am only just speaking about the gym I am at now... In fact, at my daughter's 1st gym, they treated UCA like the 'Holy Grail' competition and that might be because this gym bought all of their teams to UCA and only like 1 or 2 squads to NCA... JMO

That makes total sense. So UCA is still "it" for high school cheer?

Yes. TBH, NCA HS Nationals feels more like a really big TX state cheer comp, since the vast majority of the teams that show up are from in-state.
Plus, NCA has Novice, Intermediate and Advanced divisions. Just like in all-star, your stunting and and tumbling abilities are limited by your level. That is not a good thing for schools that are strong stunters and weak tumblers (or vice versa). UCA doesn't have those limitations, and teams from all over the country attend. Also, UCA has a very traditional feel that lots of middle and high school coaches love.

Last edited:
THIS.IS.AWESOME

but you'll have to poop out a CP to get into the Parent Section, sorry. Kinda unfare of @mstealtoyou to get your hopes up.

NOTE: SHARKWEEK STARTS IN 4 DAYS

Hard *ss!

But considering I get slapped down for even joking about being in the coach's section, fair is fair. LOL!!

:sharkchase:

THIS.IS.AWESOME

but you'll have to poop out a CP to get into the Parent Section, sorry. Kinda unfare of @mstealtoyou to get your hopes up.

NOTE: SHARKWEEK STARTS IN 4 DAYS
:p Sharkweek is coming up, I love watching my town on tv!

I really don't want to poop out a cp though ;)

Latest posts

Back