All-Star What Is The Best Cheer Advice Someone Has Given You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 25, 2011
I'm curious to know what the most memorable / useful piece of cheer advice that someone has ever given you?

As a coach I'm always trying to think of different ways to quickly and easily explain things or to make ideas/techniques click for kids who don't understand a certain concept.

My favourite would be 'make a T to the front' before any sort of full down or double down. I think it just creates a nice mental image of what they need to do.

(This is my first post on here so please don't shoot me if there's something similar in another thread, I couldn't find one).

Don't know if this will be helpfull, and i only use it with senior teams:

If a flyer is not doing her job (not pulling a body position, not initiating her twist, not fighting for a stunt) i give them this picture:
Your group did this stunt 5 times now, and you're still not even trying to do your job. Imagine a base would decide in the middle of a stunt/cradle/basket to not do her job (hold you up, catch you no matter what) any more because "something" doesn't feel right.
See? They have a job and you trust them to do it no matter what. You as a flyer have a job and they trust you to at least try no matter what.

Most times - it helps.

I found that telling the kids to "look for the wall" or "look for the trophies" in back bends and BWOs helps them to arch more and prevent the pancake flop to their head/neck. They actively look to the wall behind them as their bending, which causes them to arch harder. My little ones now say "wall wall wall wall" or "trophy trophy trophy" outloud when they're bending backwards.

Another trick for BWO's helps the kids to put the correct foot down first. When my little ones are switching feet while upside down or bringing both feet down together out of BWO's, I stop them upside down in the split position and rock them back and forth. It helps them to understand what I'm asking for when they tap that correct foot a few times.

"They get yelled at enough on the floor. You don't have to do it in the car after practice. If they have a tough practice, just be a parent. Stop and get them a Frosty on the way home." And...
"There's nothing you can teach your child about cheer. That's what you pay other people to do. Keep your mouth shut."

I found that telling the kids to "look for the wall" or "look for the trophies" in back bends and BWOs helps them to arch more and prevent the pancake flop to their head/neck. They actively look to the wall behind them as their bending, which causes them to arch harder. My little ones now say "wall wall wall wall" or "trophy trophy trophy" outloud when they're bending backwards.

Another trick for BWO's helps the kids to put the correct foot down first. When my little ones are switching feet while upside down or bringing both feet down together out of BWO's, I stop them upside down in the split position and rock them back and forth. It helps them to understand what I'm asking for when they tap that correct foot a few times.
OH NO. My editing time is up, but I used the incorrect they're/their/there. The English major in me wants to cry.

For flyers, I've found being super specific about which exact muscle to keep tight (as opposed to just "squeeze your abs" or "tighten your quad") helps. I often poke them until their tightening correctly.

Also, for keeping core tight, I always tell them to sit in a V-sit for 60 seconds or so, then tell them thats what keeping their core tight feels like.

They tell me the best advice I give before full outs and competitions is "make good choices". It just reminds them to keep thinking.

One piece of advice I always disregarded in my head without realizing was "Literally just do exactly as I say and you'll be able to do it. It's not that hard right?" Seems silly but once you actually start doing every detail the coach says to help correct yourself it's amazing how much faster you can progress.

One piece of advice I always disregarded in my head without realizing was "Literally just do exactly as I say and you'll be able to do it. It's not that hard right?" Seems silly but once you actually start doing every detail the coach says to help correct yourself it's amazing how much faster you can progress.

Think you can come to my practices and repeat this to my team?

"They get yelled at enough on the floor. You don't have to do it in the car after practice. If they have a tough practice, just be a parent. Stop and get them a Frosty on the way home." And...
"There's nothing you can teach your child about cheer. That's what you pay other people to do. Keep your mouth shut."

Oh this is so good-another one that my daughter's previous coaches told me recently and helped me keep things in perspective:

" The reality is your daughter may never do a backhandspring (or tuck, or full) by herself. She may be scared to death of tumbling and never get over that fear. Does that mean she doesn't have something to offer a level 2 team? Or a higher level team? No. If she's giving it 100%, then you support her in that. Don't add to the pressure she's already putting on herself."

Back