All-Star What's One Thing You Would Tell A Newbie World Competitor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 20, 2010
I'm sure there are a lot of newbies at Worlds this year, so what advice do you have for parents/athletes new to Worlds? ....talking about things other than, relax, enjoy the moment, meet new people.....

It's really not a scary as you think. I was really nervous back in warm ups but the second I stepped out on the mat I got the feeling of "wow this really isn't that bad...let's do this". Really, just relax.

I'm sure there are a lot of newbies at Worlds this year, so what advice do you have for parents/athletes new to Worlds? ....talking about things other than, relax, enjoy the moment, meet new people.....

Meet and become friends with someone from another country, preferably that doesn't speak your language.

Meet and become friends with someone from another country, preferably that doesn't speak your language.

Great idea! Any recommendations how it's best to do that? Might be intimidating for a 14-year-old to know what to do...

oh man its my first time going this year and ive heard that theres a lot of waiting around before and during warmups... can anyone tell me if this is true?? and how do you deal with that.... one thing i hate doing at an important comp is just wait around... i like to get through warmups smoothly and go right onto the comp mat....

Great idea! Any recommendations how it's best to do that? Might be intimidating for a 14-year-old to know what to do...

Come with t-shirts and bows to give to athletes from another country. It will break the ice and beyond that I don't think kids need much to make friends.

christina3655 said:
oh man its my first time going this year and ive heard that theres a lot of waiting around before and during warmups... can anyone tell me if this is true?? and how do you deal with that.... one thing i hate doing at an important comp is just wait around... i like to get through warmups smoothly and go right onto the comp mat....

Not much waiting at all in warmups. Teams aren't allowed in too early. Once you're in the warmup room you have time to finish stretching on the side then it's right on a mat for your time. From there you head back stage.

trust me most internationals are just so excited to be there they talk to anyone!! i took my mum with me to worlds several years back, she was probably just as hyper as me. I went to compete and came back and she'd made friends with a bunch of parents from stingrays (thinking she was super cool because she knew who stingrays were).
tell them to just say hi, i know lots of scottish cheerleaders going across this year that cannot wait to meet all the american teams!

trust me most internationals are just so excited to be there they talk to anyone!! i took my mum with me to worlds several years back, she was probably just as hyper as me. I went to compete and came back and she'd made friends with a bunch of parents from stingrays (thinking she was super cool because she knew who stingrays were).
tell them to just say hi, i know lots of scottish cheerleaders going across this year that cannot wait to meet all the american teams!

Ooohhh, I love your mom!!! And tell your friends to say hi to us too!! :)

Have fun and don't worry too much! Worlds is such an amazing expierience. You will meet so many new people and the competition is extremely well run. No long wait, and no blinding lights!! For performing, my advice is to focus on your routine and team and not worry about the people around or anything else. Just believe in yourself:)

Definetly bring shirts to trade and bows! And don't be afraid when people ask to take pictures in different languages. We all want the same thing: to meet new people and perform our best!

Make sure you leave room in your suitcase to bring lots of things home!! And if you want worlds gear, go to the Allstar resort as soon as you can so they have your size:)

If you are staying at the Disney resorts, pack your own healthy snacks... Fruit, granola bars, nuts etc. The meal options at the Allstar hotel was very minimal and super expensive!

Back