OT Where Were You 13 Years Ago Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 2, 2014
On the anniversary of 9/11, my heart aches for all those affected by this tragedy. I don't recall most of the actual day; I was in pre-k. I remember another teacher coming into the classroom shakily telling mine she needed to see this right now. I remember my mom picking me and my brother up from school early and some of the were teachers crying. About a week later I remember everyone at school brought little American flags and we all prayed (catholic school) for what felt like forever to a 4 year old. And for me, that's it. That's all the memory I have and I will still cry thinking about it. Where were you?
Edited because I left a word out.

Last edited:
I was at work and heard something on the radio. The place stood still as we tried to watch on the TV. Was a very somber day

I was at preschool and my sister was in 1st grade and I remember my mom coming to pick us up from school. We lived just outside of DC then and my dad worked in a building next to the pentagon, so it was a very scary day.

I got my braces that day. We came home late afternoon, I turned on the TV, expecting regular programs, but almost all chanels were broadcasting emergency news feed. And it was (still is) my mother's birthday. Needless to say we didn't really feel like celebrating...
And I also remember the next day, at my high school, and the panic everybody was feeling.

At a corporate breakfast with about 300 people, one of the servers came in and told us and we all filed into the small bar to watch the news. When the second plane hit, all 300 of us grabbed each others hands and shoulders and I recall it as the day of tears and prayers.

I was in 5th grade. I lived very close to Arlington and my best friend at the time's dad worked at the Pentagon, thankfully he was ok but it was very scary. We didn't have "school" the rest of the day and just sat there in the classroom with our teachers watching the news all day. I also remember that there were about 5 of us left at the end of the day because everyone's parents came and got them early. My mom worked at my school so I stayed.

We lived in Queens at the time. Had just dropped 4 year old former-cp off at her first day of her new pre-K and was planning on taking 14 month old cp shopping. Dh called me right as I got in the car and told me a plane had hit one of the twin towers. I assumed it was a small plane that somehow flew too low and started wondering how the heck they would be able to fix those windows and building structure once they assessed the damage. You could see the black smoke from the top of the towers from the Grand Central Parkway as you drove west before they collapsed. It is still very raw 13 years later.

ETA: I just sobbed in my car on the way to work listening to beginning of the memorial service. I always feel an obligation to listen to at least some of the names being read.

Last edited:
My grandmother missed the second fight out of Boston. We were running late that day to drop her off. I remember her crying because she missed the flight. Then I remember being back at home watching it all on t.v. I was in kindergarten.

I thank God all the time that my Grammy missed that flight.

I remember my kindergarten teacher getting up from her desk running to the tv to turn it on. From there everyone was speechless. At the time, I wasn't too far from the twin towers. So it was a very frantic moment and I don't remember much, I was just in kindergarten, but I will never forget the look on my teachers face after we watched the second tower get hit. We got released very early from school shortly after that. I never understood what was going on at the time. All I knew is that some building just got blown up. Never understood why the twin towers were so important to NYC and so forth.

But when I got older, and I understood more. Every year I get scared that it's going to happen again. Especially this year with all ruckus going on in the Middle East and the threats we received and how Obama handled it. I don't think that was a smart move of him.

I was in second grade. I remember watching it on TV before going to school and my mom was on the phone with my dad the entire time.

I just got home from school and my dad called home to make sure we turned on the tv. Still remember everything.

I was in 11th grade. I'd just gotten dressed for weight lifting class (so basically a class with 4 girls and 20 boys). And I heard a guy say "They got the World Trade Center " and I thought "gah what a stupid video game, I'm so sick if them talking about stupid video games"

Then we went in the weight room and turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit. I remember crying and I remember all of the guys being really nice about it (me crying).

Also. I remember some girl complaining about her NYC trip for the weekend being ruined and I remember distinctly wanting to punch her in her entire face.

I also remember we had a Thursday night football game that week so we were the first school to have a game after 9/11 on Tuesday. Reporters from local stations were hounding all of the students asking if we felt it was right to have a football game this week.

Late beach trip with family friends - My daughter was 2 and we stayed in the little condo crying and watching the tv all day. We had another 2 year old and a 1 year old there as well. They knew from our reactions that something bad was going on and they played quietly all day.

I was in 11th grade. I'd just gotten dressed for weight lifting class (so basically a class with 4 girls and 20 boys). And I heard a guy say "They got the World Trade Center " and I thought "gah what a stupid video game, I'm so sick if them talking about stupid video games"

Then we went in the weight room and turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit. I remember crying and I remember all of the guys being really nice about it (me crying).

Also. I remember some girl complaining about her NYC trip for the weekend being ruined and I remember distinctly wanting to punch her in her entire face.

I also remember we had a Thursday night football game that week so we were the first school to have a game after 9/11 on Tuesday. Reporters from local stations were hounding all of the students asking if we felt it was right to have a football game this week.
I hate girls like that. I probably would have punched her. You're always show companionship in a time like this. Not worrying about if your trip is ruined or not.

I was home - just found out that morning that I was pregnant with Idp. I was watching the Today show with my then-husband and watched the whole thing unfold.

I was working at Dillards back then, and they were the only business in our mall that stayed open. So I had to pull it together and go to work at 1pm, when all I wanted to do was stay home and hug cp (7 at the time).

We were in Norfolk, VA (all military), so everyone was scared and worried about loved ones - but my boss kept wanting us to call customers and confirm appointments. We finally walked out on him at around 3pm, when I went home and just cried. I was really scared about the world I would be bringing a new baby into.

Back