All-Star Where's The Loyalty?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When did you learn short and SWEET? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

** I don't always cite facts but when I do I make them up**
Hey, @Cheer Dad , you know, when you get my age, I have so little time, little patience and little money!. Loyalty is least on my list of what I need and want...

Exactly! Winning isn't everything. You shouldn't switch gyms unless you have a valid reason.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be on a winning team and chasing a globe. And wanting to win is a valid reason to switch gyms. I don't understand this making-people-feel-guilty-for-chasing-success that's been a thing the past few years. If I'm paying lots of money, devoting lots of my time to something, and working my absolute hardest, you better believe I want to be on top at the end of the day (or close to it). You think I'm gonna be happy because even though I got 17th place I learned how to work as part of a team? No. I want to win and I'm not sorry about it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be on a winning team and chasing a globe. And wanting to win is a valid reason to switch gyms. I don't understand this making-people-feel-guilty-for-chasing-success that's been a thing the past few years. If I'm paying lots of money, devoting lots of my time to something, and working my absolute hardest, you better believe I want to be on top at the end of the day (or close to it). You think I'm gonna be happy because even though I got 17th place I learned how to work as part of a team? No. I want to win and I'm not sorry about it.
I was meaning that it's not okay to leave a gym because you aren't winning if you're aren't contributing your part on the team. I've seen many athletes complain about not winning, but don't do anything to help their team reach success.

My problem was I wanted to do well but I couldnt contribute apart from stunting as I was rubbish. I wasn't given the tools to be better and trust me if I had a chance I would have grasped them.

I am now glad I am out of cheer. I was just taking this season off until I move to a more cheer saturated area in September but I am thinking of just leaving cheer behind. I am so much happier in the ballroom dance world and it comes easier and the best bit is I can practice safely at home

If the coaches asked someone to cross up due to a need I assume the coaches chose said child because they knew child had the capability to learn the new skills not that he/she would have the skills the first day of practice.
Sometimes it is out of desperation and someone needs to fill the spot. I don't think at smaller gyms there is often a choice. If you only have say three stunt groups and you lose a person the spot has to get filled. I have seen children moved up 1-2 levels and it is a very difficult move for them. I think it is certainly harder for a small gym when this happens.

When you get a chance, can you link me to the book entitled, "Valid Reasons to Leave a Team," so I can check it out.

I know you're not the only one saying this, but I have a very large issue with anyone telling anyone why they can or can not leave a team.

I completely agree. My reasons may seem valid to me and to others they would seem ridiculous. I know it is a team sport but again if those decisions do not include what is best for my child or my family then I would consider other options. I have friends who want their child to be on winning teams so to them that is a valid reason. My child may not see this as important but I am not here to decide how their money is best spent.

This may not exactly fit the loyalty topic, exactly...
At the last gym, I do remembered parents being all bent out of shape because their darling cp (flyer) got passed over because the team had too many flyers and finding a strong under 11 backspot became the priority or holy grail... I felt bad for these parents, buttt, definitely, not sorry! Tbh, to have backspots feel appreciated and needed does not happen enough...js

That I DO agree with which is why the coaches at our gym don't make those kind of promises. It's when they leave because they thought they should be on a level 5 team when they are barely level 3.

I guess my question is why would you want that type of athlete and family other than for money? If they fully believe they are better than they truly are how coachable will they be? Would they be the type of family to stir up trouble in hopes to improve their own position to get to the team they want?

Also I would take a step back and look at your program objectively or even better from a parents perspective explore other reasons they may be leaving. Loyalty is a 2 way street. Simple things that make a difference. Clear information as early as possible (don't let things leak and the rumor mill start or share with a few before your ready to share with all). Do you work on building the relationships between teams and do you, other owners, and coaches take some time before and after to touch base with families. Take a cruise through the parent area and just say hi. Small talk with parents will help loyalty and let you possibly see potential issues before they become real problems.

As a parent I'm very worried about the direction our society has taken. My child is priority and loyalty involves a lot of definitions and situations. My issues stem from commitment. When you join a team you have made a commitment and it should be honored until the season is over. What an athlete and their parent choose to do after that is not of my concern, HOWEVER, I do believe that when that decision is based solely on winning and losing or the fact they think they are better is not always a valid and true reason. Now I'm not saying that this is NEVER a valid reason. I have seen some very poor programs on many levels that yes I would have left and I had stated previously that my child is a level 5 tumbler at the age of 9 and is on her 3rd season on a level 3 team because we only have senior level 4&5. Not enough younger athletes with those skills to form a team and the only gym to have these teams is 2 hours away. We stay because 1 she has been able to gain those skills at her gym so she's not being held back. 2 she loves her team and her coaches. They are family and she competes with confidence because she's consistent in her skills. I see too many kids that don't perfect a skill before trying to progress. The parents don't understand there is a progression that should be followed for success and when anyone tries to push that progression they think their child is being held back or stifled. I see parents get mad because their child is struggling in their pass or in a stunt and the coaches make a change but the parent doesn't see that change as what's best for the team to win and maybe give the child a chance to relax and work on the skill without the stress and pressure of doing it in competition. This world has turned into selfish and i want it now mentality and raising our kids this way is very dangerous. I wish parents would take a step back, curb the emotions and think about all aspects of the sport and what's really going on before making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE this!!! Absolutely spot on.

Back