All-Star Where's The Loyalty?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Stunting-wise, I have noticed that bases pick up/work up to L5 basing quicker than a flyer can pick up/work up to L5 flying.

There are gyms out there who even start some new-to-cheer kids out on 4.2 instead of 1 or 2 because of that.

I was going to say almost the same thing... For a flyer it may not be true at all. My cp has been a full level ahead in tumbling compared to flying. I see this among many of the younger flyers at the gym.

I agree with this as well. We left a gym several years ago because of some things going on behind the scenes I didn't want my child getting caught up in or even hearing about. It's when people leave because they don't like where they are on a team or the level team they were placed on. I have just seen a lot of people in my area leaving gyms for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

While it is extremely frustrating to be a coach or an athlete and have someone on the team up and quit it isn't my place to judge what is or is not a valid reason for leaving. I think everyone should try to honor their commitment to the team but I have seen more than a few examples of behavior I would not let my child endure. I have been on both sides of this and it certainly causes you to question team loyalty.

I get that. I guess I just see the short term. We've had to pull up 2 lower level athletes to help our stunts because a few of the kids struggled basing. Then the parents got frustrated that these lower level athletes were tainting the team. It's just hard to see parents become elitist. I don't care if someone doesn't have all the skills if the coach needs them on the team the parents shouldn't be putting them down. One of the athletes overheard a parent complaining about their lack of tumbling it was devastating for the girl. Especially since she was so excited to be asked to cross over. It just breaks my heart to see kids being treated that way by adults who know better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It isn't the place to talk about other athletes in the gym but I do see the other side of this as well. Would you not be frustrated if your child had all the skills necessary for level 3 and then they move up a child who can't throw a back handspring? It isn't elitist to be disappointed that athletes are not on a level appropriate team. It is however immature to take it out on a child when the concerns should be directed to the coaches.

It isn't the place to talk about other athletes in the gym but I do see the other side of this as well. Would you not be frustrated if your child had all the skills necessary for level 3 and then they move up a child who can't throw a back handspring? It isn't elitist to be disappointed that athletes are not on a level appropriate team. It is however immature to take it out on a child when the concerns should be directed to the coaches.
If the gym moved up a child to base level 3 who didn't have level 3 tumble skills as long as they were doing their "job" basing the lack of tumbling wouldn't bother me. One child without the tumbling skills wouldn't affect the scoresheet if the remaining original team members had the necessary tumbling skills.

If the gym moved up a child to base level 3 who didn't have level 3 tumble skills as long as they were doing their "job" basing the lack of tumbling wouldn't bother me. One child without the tumbling skills wouldn't affect the scoresheet if the remaining original team members had the necessary tumbling skills.

I agree if the child has the skill necessary for the job. I have seen kids move up without level skills due to necessity and it is difficult to be on either side. Last year my cp was asked to cross up due to an opening on the team and I'm sure some parents were disappointed. It is understandable but she was supported by the other athletes. It is often the parents that fuel this message!

I honestly don't have a problem with a child who doesn't have all the level appropriate skills as long as they are contributing to the team. If we were apart of a Cheer program that had been around for years I may feel differently. But our gym is only in its 2nd year, a majority of our senior tumblers come from gymnastics and learning stunting for several of these kids has been very difficult. Not to mention the amount of athletes we have lost throughout the season. People not paying their bills, athletes missing practices, injuries/illnesses (parents running their kids in to the Dr. for a sore throat or the slightest pain) or getting butt hurt cause they were replaced in a spot they weren't being successful in. I'm over it. I wish people would just pay their bill, attend every practice, stop running to the Dr. for every sniffle or ache & let the Coach coach. [emoji12]

I honestly don't have a problem with a child who doesn't have all the level appropriate skills as long as they are contributing to the team. If we were apart of a Cheer program that had been around for years I may feel differently.

(Quote edited for size)

Do you honestly think a kid with Level 2 skills is going to be of a big benefit on a level 5 team? All that it really does is make the more level appropriate kids work harder to compensate for the scoresheet, especially in tumbling.

This is a scenario I have seen established gyms do so they can claim to have a Worlds team and try to retain the true upper level kids. In my opinion they are alienating the upper level kids.

Are those upper level athletes supposed to remain loyal or possible find a team/more suitable to their needs or abilities?

** I don't always cite facts but when I do I make them up**

I agree if the child has the skill necessary for the job. I have seen kids move up without level skills due to necessity and it is difficult to be on either side. Last year my cp was asked to cross up due to an opening on the team and I'm sure some parents were disappointed. It is understandable but she was supported by the other athletes. It is often the parents that fuel this message!
If the coaches asked someone to cross up due to a need I assume the coaches chose said child because they knew child had the capability to learn the new skills not that he/she would have the skills the first day of practice.

I think this is an area that causes too many problems when the parents try to understand why coaches moved or put certain athletes on teams that the parents don't agree with. I trust they know what they are doing and I'm confident that our coaches make choices and decisions to make the team successful as a whole. Often we forget this is a team sport and it's not solely about tumbling. If you have 19 athletes with level 3 skills but need 1 more base its not out of the question to look at a lower level athlete that can fit the bill! I agree that it is often the parents fueling the message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you honestly think a kid with Level 2 skills is going to be of a big benefit on a level 5 team? All that it really does is make the more level appropriate kids work harder to compensate for the scoresheet, especially in tumbling.

This is a scenario I have seen established gyms do so they can claim to have a Worlds team and try to retain the true upper level kids. In my opinion they are alienating the upper level kids.

Are those upper level athletes supposed to remain loyal or possible find a team/more suitable to their needs or abilities?

Ok so maybe what I'm thinking is not what you see in your area. No one is leaving our gym to cheer elsewhere there isn't anything for a good 3 hr. Drive. I'm not thinking about a gym having a level 2 going up to a 5. However a level 2 going up to a 3 doesn't seem unreasonable or 4 to a restricted 5. Especially in a small gym that has maybe 50 athletes total to cover 4 teams. When you have varying skill levels it's too hard to build a team with 100% skill appropriate athletes. I guess I just don't get a parent who comes to a brand new program & expects to see a team full of level appropriate athletes when it takes a few years for the program to grow. Some of the biggest complainers are the former gymnast parents.

Ok so maybe what I'm thinking is not what you see in your area. No one is leaving our gym to cheer elsewhere there isn't anything for a good 3 hr. Drive. I'm not thinking about a gym having a level 2 going up to a 5. However a level 2 going up to a 3 doesn't seem unreasonable or 4 to a restricted 5. Especially in a small gym that has maybe 50 athletes total to cover 4 teams. When you have varying skill levels it's too hard to build a team with 100% skill appropriate athletes. I guess I just don't get a parent who comes to a brand new program & expects to see a team full of level appropriate athletes when it takes a few years for the program to grow. Some of the biggest complainers are the former gymnast parents.

Gym isolation is the best method of athlete retention [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Honestly jumping kids from 2 to 4 can be an issue if you do it with too many kids, but I agree a small gym will have to do it on occasion to help satisfy everyone but why force a level 4 team where half the kids are L2 instead of fielding a L3 where the more experienced kids can help the lower level kids grow and feel confident and not overwhelmed or useless because they cannot fully contribute to the team?

I don't know how it is everywhere else but the past few years it appears the loyalty has slowly faded away in this area. Kids and parents are willing to jump ship at anytime when things don't go their way. I'm tired of hearing about kids leaving one gym to go to another just because they won NCA or did well at Worlds / Summit or got a Worlds / Summit Bid. Even more is they assume they will make one of those teams! Ok, rant over.
Exactly! Winning isn't everything. You shouldn't switch gyms unless you have a valid reason.

Exactly! Winning isn't everything. You shouldn't switch gyms unless you have a valid reason.

When you get a chance, can you link me to the book entitled, "Valid Reasons to Leave a Team," so I can check it out.

I know you're not the only one saying this, but I have a very large issue with anyone telling anyone why they can or can not leave a team.

Back