Who Is Tired Of Flyers Getting All The Credit For Amazing Stunts?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So while watching cheer extreme in Indy I was amazed by their ball up 360 tick tock stunt (as usual), but my girls and i were thinking: why do flyers get all the credit for such amazing stunts? Everyone wanted to get a picture with Maddie. She does a great job with her stunts, but theres no flyer without a base! We wanted to figure out who her bases were so we could get pictures with them. Flyers are the pretty face of stunts but theyre not the only member of the group! What does everyone else think?

you cant really have a stunt group without a flyer either. I will give bases a lot of credit.(used to be one((frustrating))) It is way eaiser to base than to fly. Learning to base take no time at all and learning to fly takes a while.(I used to fly for 5 years then based for 2 and now I fly again) flying is alot harder than basing, and I dont really hear bases giving there flyer a lot of credit either sometimes.

you cant really have a stunt group without a flyer either. I will give bases a lot of credit.(used to be one((frustrating))) It is way eaiser to base than to fly. Learning to base take no time at all and learning to fly takes a while.(I used to fly for 5 years then based for 2 and now I fly again) flying is alot harder than basing, and I dont really hear bases giving there flyer a lot of credit either sometimes.
easier or not, everyone deserves credit. i’ve flown and now i’m a base, and its really not that much easier. i guess it depends on the type/difficulty of the stunt that your doing, but in all reality, nobodies job is easier than the others.

I think if you're good enough, you will get the recognition from your team and coaches. I was ALWAYS given the new flyer or the one who struggled with stuff, because my coaches knew I would keep her in the air at all costs. I may not have been the star of all the pictures, but it made me feel amazing that the flyers would literally beg the coaches to let me to be their back. Any time a stunt wasn't working, it was like "oh, can you try it and see if it works?"... I was like a freak of nature/show&tell lol... everyone wanted to try new skills with me, show their friends or parents what we could do, etc.

When you really put everything you have into fighting for your stunts and getting your flyer down safely, they trust you enough that you're THEIR rockstar. I never really cared if other people noticed.... I was well-appreciated by my flyers, teammates, coaches, and even other parents.... the only people who matter:)

Moral of the story: You ARE recognized if you're doing your job, just not in the way of being mobbed by obsessive cheer paparazzi.

I think if you're good enough, you will get the recognition from your team and coaches. I was ALWAYS given the new flyer or the one who struggled with stuff, because my coaches knew I would keep her in the air at all costs. I may not have been the star of all the pictures, but it made me feel amazing that the flyers would literally beg the coaches to let me to be their back. Any time a stunt wasn't working, it was like "oh, can you try it and see if it works?"... I was like a freak of nature/show&tell lol... everyone wanted to try new skills with me, show their friends or parents what we could do, etc.

When you really put everything you have into fighting for your stunts and getting your flyer down safely, they trust you enough that you're THEIR rockstar. I never really cared if other people noticed.... I was well-appreciated by my flyers, teammates, coaches, and even other parents.... the only people who matter:)

Moral of the story: You ARE recognized if you're doing your job, just not in the way of being mobbed by obsessive cheer paparazzi.

Perfectly put!!
I'm a base and even though I'm not the person, the audience sees, I don't feel like I don't get any recognition! It means a lot to me, when my flyers trust me enough to do stunts that scare them!

Personally, I'm also looking (and admiring) at the bases of stunts I love a lot! Like for example with "Maddie's" 360 Ball Up, I'm like holy crap those are some fierce bases!!
eek.png

In the end, it only looks great, if all members of a stunt group are fierce. And pretty much everyone in cheerleading knows that, I guess. So that's enough for me. :)

It is way eaiser to base than to fly.
Oh hell no, it certainly ain't! I'm not saying it's the other way round but honestly, try a 1 1/2 up scale tick tock to stretch, a rewind or fullaround as a base and you'll notice that it takes quite some hard work.

Besides, there is (as with flying) a difference between "managing to make the stunt work" and "working the stunt"!
You could probably quite quickly teach someone a couple of basing skills but until they really work it out AND can perform those skills with any given flyer... it'll take time, hard work and most likely a number of bruises.

I agree that backspots don't get a lot of credit! I backed for a while over the summer, and I gained respect for backs! I'm back to basing now, thank goodness, and I definitely give people under the stunt a ton of credit. Not that the flyers don't work hard too!

Last year at worlds me and the two other girls I was with got a picture with Ricchara from Senior Elite. She is one of, if not, THE sickest base on the face of this earth. She was the main base of the 360 tick tock, and the girl who one maned a very much "normal sized" flyer in the back of their tumbling. I love her. She was so nice and funny, too! Needless to say, I joined this group as soon as it became existent when I came home from Worlds: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ricch...ALL-UP-TO-TICK-TOCK-AT-WORLDS/119275531435769

i have to say ive flown before and the stress level of being a flyer is insane!and that was level 4.i would pick basing any day!and my group likes to give credit to each other we all know that we wouldnt be where we are without the work of all the individuals.in the end its a group effort.my mom has always said that a flyer is only as good as her bases and the bases are only as good as their flyer :)

YES it always seems to happen that i get the new flyer or the not so light girl or the one struggling to stay in the air and it's 'cause my coaches know i can keep her up better than x, y and z can.
and it's true that if ypu're good you will be recognized.
when a girl in another group is having a problem they ask for me (sometimes they use it as the easy way out, like, when their stunt doesn't hit "i could do it with you" or they don't trust another base "tell them to switch with you") or my coaches have me try it with them because they know i can do it.. even the other bases mention how i'm "...a really good stunter..."
people know you're there it might not be shown the same as it is with the flyer but there was even that facebook group for maddies bases last year when she did her specialty stunt at worlds.."props to ... for beasting that 360...at worlds" or whatever
how many flyers have groups about how amazing they are? i haven't seen one. haha

You said it perfectly! This is exactly how my daughter feels about being a backspot! The harder the stunt the better. She likes the challenge of figuring out how to make it hit rock solid! She's proud of the fact that her coaches and flyers trust her and could care less about the glitteratti. I'm really proud of what she does and she's taught me to appreciate good stunting technique when we watch other teams perform! It's really about being a "star where you are". Whether in the front, or side, flying, basing or backing...if you are giving your all, you're hard work will be recognized on some level, by someone!

Same here! It's like everyone giving credit to a pitcher or a quarter back, when every position serves a purpose! It's like yeah you might see the girl up in the air smiling but look below here at who is holding her up!

So while watching cheer extreme in Indy I was amazed by their ball up 360 tick tock stunt (as usual), but my girls and i were thinking: why do flyers get all the credit for such amazing stunts? Everyone wanted to get a picture with Maddie. She does a great job with her stunts, but theres no flyer without a base! We wanted to figure out who her bases were so we could get pictures with them. Flyers are the pretty face of stunts but theyre not the only member of the group! What does everyone else think?

Personally I would rather get a picture with Richarra! That girl is fierce

bases and backs should most def get more attention they are just as important to the stunt and is just as hard! i agree i would love to get a pic with maddie g's stunt group they are amazing:) but i do think that flyers also have the most pressure on them aswell

Back