Who Is Tired Of Flyers Getting All The Credit For Amazing Stunts?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

true but when a flyer falls its always her fault. when i stunt doesnt hit solid the flyer gets introble. flyers get most attiition because everyones looking at them the judges arent looking down at the bases saying ' oh well that bases has a great grip on that flyers shoe let me give them first place. ' they look at the flyer to see the flexibility and presintation of the stunt. thats just me, a coach AND a cheerleader. i also do both positions at cheerleading.( base and fly)

As the mother of a base who usually backspots, I understand your frustration. My daughter works very hard and swears no fly of hers will hit the ground (or if she does my daughter will be between her fly and the floor). However, flying is not easy and it takes a lot of trust in your bases because the fly is the one with the most potential to be seriously hurt. (Yes, my daughter has come home banged up by catching a fly who didn't come down right, but the fly is still the most at risk.)
Since my daughter started competitive cheer I have always been grateful she was too tall to ever even be considered for a fly. Bottom line, it takes the fly , the bases and the backspot for a stunt to work and that is what competitive cheer teaches the best in my opinion - it's a team effort, you win as a team - you lose as a team, but no matter what --you're a TEAM.

As the mother of a base who usually backspots, I understand your frustration. My daughter works very hard and swears no fly of hers will hit the ground (or if she does my daughter will be between her fly and the floor). However, flying is not easy and it takes a lot of trust in your bases because the fly is the one with the most potential to be seriously hurt. (Yes, my daughter has come home banged up by catching a fly who didn't come down right, but the fly is still the most at risk.)
Since my daughter started competitive cheer I have always been grateful she was too tall to ever even be considered for a fly. Bottom line, it takes the fly , the bases and the backspot for a stunt to work and that is what competitive cheer teaches the best in my opinion - it's a team effort, you win as a team - you lose as a team, but no matter what --you're a TEAM.

I COULDNT OF WORDED IT ANY BETTER!!! KUDOS!!! LOOOVE IT
I HAVE BOTH A BASE AND A FLYER.. :)))) I LOVE IT

I completly agree! Im a flyer for my squad, and sometimes flyers do get more credit than the bases, but the bases are always the first to get credit from me. Lets face it, no one in a stunt group has it easy, but it does make it easier when everyone understands that in order for the group to work, everyone has to put an equal amount of effort in.

It's true flyers often do get more credit than they deserve when a stunts hit, however they also get more of the blame when it does not hit as well. It takes every person in that stunt group to make it work and all participates should feel the same accomplishment when it hits.

I used to have a flyer who wouldn't squeeze her butt and she wasn't as flexible as the others. It was really hard to keep her up! The girls on my team would be like, "Make sure she hits it and doesn't fall!" So I appreciate that my team recognizes the hard work of all cheerleaders.

I call my daughter a "super base" shes 12 and shes 4'9". shes super strong and can even lift me. But she is short and her coaches are not liking her base flyers taller than her. She would rather base than fly. Shes got the "you lift weights, i lift people" syndrome. Anyway, as she is learning to fly. i always tell her to remember the bases. I posted it before and i'll post it again...

A Flyer's Thanks

Thank you to my bases for always being there
It's all because of you that people see me in the air
Thank you to my back spot- I've alot to thank you for
You've landed flat on your back- but never let me hit the floor

For all those times I smacked you- trying to twist down
For all the times I spazzed out- and couldn't get around
For all the times you yelled, "Lock out! LOCK YOUR KNEES!"
For all the times you said ok when I said, "one more time, please?"

I didn't catch your shoulders- its my job as your flyer
You said ok and didn't kill me when I said,"uh, could you catch a little higher?"
When ready to give up- "Stick it!" you would scream
And I could, because of you and the faith in our team.

For all the times you were tired- your muscles were so sore
With a sigh, you toughed it out and let me stunt some more
When trying new stunts and I was scared of what to do
You calmed me down and promised, "Relax- you know we've got you"

Bruises, pain and knuckle scrapes- my basket tosses brought
Backwards, forwards, sideways- I still knew that I'd be caught

I know it can't be easy- catching all my weight
You make it look so easy- we make our stunts look great
And even when we drop one- I know its not the end
You always catch me safely and we put it up again

So for all the times you caught me- you never let me fall
I know that backs and bases work the hardest of us all!!!
You do all the work and I get so much glory
I know it isnt fair that people don't see the full story
Just know once more I thank you- for everything you've done
Without your work and friendship cheering wouldn't be as fun
And every time someone says they're amazed by what I do
I thank you and know that it my heart
Its all because of you.

This is awesome!!! my older daughter is a Junior base and she works just as hard as the flyers. IT is a TEAM effort to make those stunts stick. One cannot do it without the others!!!!! My younger daughter flys and wants to do more of it but she needs her big sister base to help her practice!!!

I back and my flyer does nothing, but every time she hits it's great job flyer and when it falls it bases what did you do wrong! It's so annoying!

I agree that yes, flyers do usually get recognized first if it is an amazing stunt. That is because they are the ones mainly being seen and the ones who really do the showmanship of the stunt. Those bases and backs deserve the credit too! BUT the flyers are also the ones to be blamed first, I find this totally wrong. My stunt has fallen at competition, and you can hear people "Oh my gosh (flyers name) fell." The first thing I do when we get off the mat is grab my flyer and say, "Your an amazing flyer, we've hit that stunt a million times. We just messed up today, I would then tell her what went wrong and how the WHOLE stunt group is at fault, not just her. The thing I love about my coaches is that they make sure to give credit to ALL of the girls of the group. I feel this is a team sport and nobodys job is harder than someone elses. EVERYBODY works together to make or break a stunt. Everybody deserves credit, and everybody should be held accountable for a mistake.

I believe everyone should just DO THEIR JOBS!!! The team will succeed or fail based on their collective mindset. The most painful moment I remember was my daughter being cursed at by a mom because her daughter, the flyer, fell. That was the closest my daughter ever came to quitting this awesome sport. She never received an apology but continued to work with that flyer. I remind my daughter prior to every practice and every competition to do just do her job and have fun. I hope this helps.

I think flyers get a bad rep sometimes for being lazy and glory hunters...sure there are a few that don't work to hold themselves, and get all the credit, but the majority out there are amazing.

I am a back/base, and my flyer is awesome - she is always tight, always working, and on the few occasions a stunt has come down funny, she is the first to check everyone is ok and apologise if she landed on someone, whether or not it was her fault. If someone takes a knock, she's there offering hugs. We've been working pony up to cupies, and I have popped her down awkwardly a couple of times, and caught her any way I could. She never complains if she gets hurt and just says thanks I caught her at all. She fights for every stunt, and even when I know she is terrified she gets up there, holds tight and does it. Basically, she rocks, and is a pleasure to work with.

I know my flyer is extra special and super talented, but I bet most flyers are...I think the hardworking ones are the norm, and as with everything in life, it's just a few who give everyone a bad name.

I call my daughter a "super base" shes 12 and shes 4'9". shes super strong and can even lift me. But she is short and her coaches are not liking her base flyers taller than her. She would rather base than fly. Shes got the "you lift weights, i lift people" syndrome. Anyway, as she is learning to fly. i always tell her to remember the bases. I posted it before and i'll post it again...

A Flyer's Thanks

Thank you to my bases for always being there
It's all because of you that people see me in the air
Thank you to my back spot- I've alot to thank you for
You've landed flat on your back- but never let me hit the floor

For all those times I smacked you- trying to twist down
For all the times I spazzed out- and couldn't get around
For all the times you yelled, "Lock out! LOCK YOUR KNEES!"
For all the times you said ok when I said, "one more time, please?"

I didn't catch your shoulders- its my job as your flyer
You said ok and didn't kill me when I said,"uh, could you catch a little higher?"
When ready to give up- "Stick it!" you would scream
And I could, because of you and the faith in our team.

For all the times you were tired- your muscles were so sore
With a sigh, you toughed it out and let me stunt some more
When trying new stunts and I was scared of what to do
You calmed me down and promised, "Relax- you know we've got you"

Bruises, pain and knuckle scrapes- my basket tosses brought
Backwards, forwards, sideways- I still knew that I'd be caught

I know it can't be easy- catching all my weight
You make it look so easy- we make our stunts look great
And even when we drop one- I know its not the end
You always catch me safely and we put it up again

So for all the times you caught me- you never let me fall
I know that backs and bases work the hardest of us all!!!
You do all the work and I get so much glory
I know it isnt fair that people don't see the full story
Just know once more I thank you- for everything you've done
Without your work and friendship cheering wouldn't be as fun
And every time someone says they're amazed by what I do
I thank you and know that it my heart
Its all because of you.

This is amazing!!! I'm printing it right now and pinning it somewhere on one of our gym's walls!

We don't have bigheaded flyers tho, they're all really nice and humble, especially my partner stunts flyer. And everybody gives ME credit for the partner stunts, to the point that I have to defend my flyer against other guys who laugh about how easy her job is. Big news buddies, it's not. I can lift you if you want, try to stay up there more than a few seconds... ;)

Back