All-Star Why Have Coed Stunt Only Reward In Coed Divisions At Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I was thinking about the amazing two days I had in the milkhouse during worlds, and came to a realization, after watching all of the senior divisions there (leaving international coeds out for this one) I saw to the best of my memory only one maybe two guys do actually coed stunting with double downs unassisted. (I saw lots of toss hands extensions) If memory serves me correctly I saw between 3-5 girls do entire stunt sections unassisted and popping their own double downs. However, the coed divisions will get rewarded more for the same basic coed stunts (toss extensions) than the girls would, virtually in my opinion negating the need to take risks and have girls do there own stunts in the all girl divisions.

While I don't want this to turn into a sexist argument, I was wondering what the thoughts were as to why it was this way? Why not let girls at least attempt to get the bonus points from coed stunting that the coed divisions get. There doesn't seem a reason not too, but I'd love to hear some.

Can you call it "coed stunting" if the group is all girls? I agree that they should be rewarded for stunting "coed style" but I don't think you can call it coed stunting on an all girl scoresheet when they are not a coed team. Time to come up with a new name.

Can you call it "coed stunting" if the group is all girls? I agree that they should be rewarded for stunting "coed style" but I don't think you can call it coed stunting on an all girl scoresheet when they are not a coed team. Time to come up with a new name.
It should be called partner stunting.

It isn't that they aren't rewarded for it, it is just that they aren't required to do it to get into the top category.

In the "Q and A" sessions with Les online he said girls who did "coed-single based stunts" would be rewarded just as the males who do them...The reason you saw so many toss hands extensions, etc (and not more difficult stunts) is because they added the "coed stunt" section to the Worlds scoresheet in NOVEMBER. Therefore, teams had not been practicing it all year,and were forced to figure out way to add something to get any points at all....I think it will be different this year now that people know from the BEGINNING that this will be an expectation. I imagine more boys will be taken onto teams to stunt (instead of just tumble)--so it should ultimately bring the "stunt/tumble" issue a bit a more into balance.

It isn't that they aren't rewarded for it, it is just that they aren't required to do it to get into the top category.

Do you think it is rewarded enough to justify risk? Ie if you had 3 or 4 girls that could do a toss hands arabesque double (even if parts or some of it is assisted would you have put them in panthers routine? (assuming you could work it in and not neglect the other areas of the scoresheet). It would be a nobrainer in small coed IMO but would it be worth it in small senior?

I would say that technically it is/was rewarded. The large senior scoring breakdown says to score in the 19-25 category one of the things used to determine it would be "stunts that use minimum number of spotters required" i.e. 2. So it was technically rewarded.

Do you think it is rewarded enough to justify risk? Ie if you had 3 or 4 girls that could do a toss hands arabesque double (even if parts or some of it is assisted would you have put them in panthers routine? (assuming you could work it in and not neglect the other areas of the scoresheet). It would be a nobrainer in small coed IMO but would it be worth it in small senior?

With different weightings for the different divisions (like is done at Worlds) you will have a change in risk/reward decisions for different divisions.

Back