OT Why I Hate 4.2.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 26, 2010
I hate 4.2 and the idea of it because I believe that a squad in 4.2 obviously trains and focuses more on stunting. Fair enough if you don't have the facilities to train tumbling, but otherwise I feel like it's cheating as in you've not covered all the areas.

It's just what I think, what are your opinions?

Shall we have a 6.1, or a 5.3 next?! It's madness! <3

I think there's been multiple threads on this in the past.

But honestly, I think it's a good option, especially for half year teams because many half year teams are also girls who cheer for school. It allows them to be able to compete on a competitive level due to the fact many middle & high school only cheerleaders don't have the higher tumbling skills, but are able to do higher level stunts, and this way they remain competitive while showcasing their skills.

I think this division is for the athletes who struggle with tumbling but excel at stunting so they aren't held back doing level 2 stunts.

Well my last squad entered L3 and we had L1 tumbling because we trained in a church hall. Just because we were clean we won nationals, so ya know, in my opinion it's not about the winning, but I think that creating a whole new division was just like 'wwhat?!'

I know this varies geographically - But in my area (Missouri) - If you have a BHS and can do level 4 stunts - Go cheer High School. Most of our High Schools in the area are 4.2 or 3.2 Level skills. Usually there is a squad or two that had a couple standing tucks and maybe one full - And maybe ONE of the stunts can double out of an aerobesque. My point is - Majority stunts in Missouri are straight up body positions with a full down and if you have a BHS you will make Varsity.

I know this wouldnt be the case in Georgia, Illinois, etc - Because their High Schools are level 5, and if you have a BHS, chances are you wouldnt be able to compete HS - But in Missouri - Go cheer High School if you want 4.2

Okay, so I don't think we'll have this division for a while in the UK, so can anyone give me info on this from the US ? Any 'big named' teams have 4.2's? x

Okay, so I don't think we'll have this division for a while in the UK, so can anyone give me info on this from the US ? Any 'big named' teams have 4.2's? x

4.2 has definitely become popular now. I'm on a 4.2 team and I think it's great! Some large gyms that have one:
-WC Infinity
-CEA Raleigh
-ECE
-Charlotte
There are more that are just slipping my mind right now too!

Hm, I'm actually starting to like this idea, it suits me- actual TANK of a base and L2 tumbling!

Wishing we had it now:L<3

When I first heard of 4.2 I LOVED the idea, I've had a mental block for so long I've almost forgot what its like to go backwards. But I've cheered for over 10 years and after a while you get tired of doing L2 stunts. The problem is that no one actually uses the hard L4 stints in 4.2. If you watch a 4.2 video and 4 video there isn't the same stunt quality. A lot of gyms who have 4.2 no longer have 2 so they put all of the girls that should be on 2 on 4.2. If they have never cheered before and can't do an elevator how can you expect them to do a kick full? I think gyms should keep L2 teams and put the girls who have cheered for a couple years on L2 on 4.2.

The reason I don't like it is because on my team, stunting is a privilege pretty much. Our team has had to take out some of our stunts because they're illegal, but that doesn't mean were going to want to create a whole new division to suit our team. I don't like this idea, because what happens when level 1 want to do level 6 stunts. 6.1 would be the stupidest thing ever, IMO. For my team, tumbling is something we def. have to work harder for and IMO if your tumbling doesn't catch up with your stunts, then go cheer for HS.

When I first heard of 4.2 I LOVED the idea, I've had a mental block for so long I've almost forgot what its like to go backwards. But I've cheered for over 10 years and after a while you get tired of doing L2 stunts. The problem is that no one actually uses the hard L4 stints in 4.2. If you watch a 4.2 video and 4 video there isn't the same stunt quality. A lot of gyms who have 4.2 no longer have 2 so they put all of the girls that should be on 2 on 4.2. If they have never cheered before and can't do an elevator how can you expect them to do a kick full? I think gyms should keep L2 teams and put the girls who have cheered for a couple years on L2 on 4.2.

I havent seen many smaller gyms with 4.2s. I know a lot of big gyms have strong 4.2 teams.
I also did choreography for a 4.2 team this season. They are doing full ups and inversions. They almost have team kick full baskets. the pyramid involves inversions, braced flips, twisting, switching groups. This gym only has about 6 teams i think and they do a great job with their teams.

Back