OT Why I Hate 4.2.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
before this season i was thinking about joining a 4.2 team, then i was convinced it was for lazies. but this year i'm 4.2, and it has saved me. i'm getting around to do standing tucks now, but i dont think i would've done well in the early beginning of the year. the purpose of it was for older kids to excel in stunting and atleast get their backhandspring, thats sort of where we're at now for most of the team. we also don't have 8 year olds flying, so im quite happy with it :)

this topic has been brought us so many times. Its either you love it or hate it. I personally love the idea, im not on a 4.2 team but I can understand what the athletes feel like. Im a great stunter but tumbling is just so hard for me. This is a great division for highschool girls crossing over to allstars, which is a great way to bring new people into this industry.

I think level 4.2 is a good level because you have to stunting ability but not the tumbling this gives a chance to the kids who cant tumble to show there stunting skills..

Both the Charleston and the Columbia gyms have a 4.2 team, and im not sure about the Columbia gym, but Charleston stuns level 4 for sure!
I think its a good level for people who just CAN'T tumble or highschoolers (especially here in South Carolina)
but at the same time, i think it could lead to people getting lazy.
Now they can do the elite stunts, only a step away from level 5 stunting, and only have to do handsprings.
for smaller gyms without a level 5, a lot of kids might not even know exactly what is capable, so they start to settle, knowing that as long as they get their handspring, they can stunt level 4.

I havent seen many smaller gyms with 4.2s. I know a lot of big gyms have strong 4.2 teams.
I also did choreography for a 4.2 team this season. They are doing full ups and inversions. They almost have team kick full baskets. the pyramid involves inversions, braced flips, twisting, switching groups. This gym only has about 6 teams i think and they do a great job with their teams.

we did kick fulls too... but they didn't look as good as the L4 team. I have seen all of the 4.2 teams doing team kick fulls, inversions and all of the L4 Legal stuff...but it's just not done as well as the L4 teams do it. I feel like if you took a video of a stunt done by a L4 team and a video of the exact same stunt done by a L4.2 team you would be able to identify which level did which stunt (if you didn't know from the beginning of course).

I think 4.2 is a really good idea. I was on my team's 4.2 last year and I have always had terrible mental blocks with tumbling and I really struggle with it. But i'm a really good stunter, so 4.2 was perfect for me. And now i'm on my team's level 3 team because i have gained more strength and willingness to tumble. So i think it's a really good sort of transition team for girls whose weakness is tumbling.

And last year my team had level 4 tick tocks and full ups for the people who said 4.2 didn't have the advanced level 4 stunts.

I know this varies geographically - But in my area (Missouri) - If you have a BHS and can do level 4 stunts - Go cheer High School. Most of our High Schools in the area are 4.2 or 3.2 Level skills. Usually there is a squad or two that had a couple standing tucks and maybe one full - And maybe ONE of the stunts can double out of an aerobesque. My point is - Majority stunts in Missouri are straight up body positions with a full down and if you have a BHS you will make Varsity.

I know this wouldnt be the case in Georgia, Illinois, etc - Because their High Schools are level 5, and if you have a BHS, chances are you wouldnt be able to compete HS - But in Missouri - Go cheer High School if you want 4.2

Not all cheerleaders have high school teams to cheer at, or they don't have a good program. Also it isn't all about the skills. Some girls like the "razzle dazzle" of All Star cheer... crop tops, longer dances, no cheers.

Also, 4.2 is great for small gyms that have a wide variety of talent and not enough teams to break by level.

I havent seen many smaller gyms with 4.2s. I know a lot of big gyms have strong 4.2 teams.
I also did choreography for a 4.2 team this season. They are doing full ups and inversions. They almost have team kick full baskets. the pyramid involves inversions, braced flips, twisting, switching groups. This gym only has about 6 teams i think and they do a great job with their teams.

Northern Elite All Stars in MN has a meann 4.2. Low to high stretch and tick up scorps. we are a VERY small gym with only 2 senior teams. you would think they are a regular level 4 team until you get to the tumbling section. i love fury :)

FAME All Stars- 007
South Jersey Storm- Vortex

Personally, I am okay with this division because it welcomes in cheerleaders who are maybe stronger stunters, but not as strong tumblers-pretty common nowadays...and I think it even makes the team more competitive. For example, a team would be far less competitive with strong level 4 stunting but then level 2-3 ish tumbling almost as a team and maybe a handful have level 4 requirements, but not nearly enough to max out on scoresheets. What do you do? I think a LOT of programs are running into this issue and in the past it as resulted in team splitting (half go higher, half go lower) or it results in simply a smaller team (take only the level 4 athletes) I have no problem with this division...but going off what King said above about tumbling..athletes still need to be challenged in tumbling and work skills besides just level 2--and work towards being on a level 3 or level 4 team. IMO there is rarely a cheerleader who perfectly meets/exceeds requirements for a particular division whether it be in tumbling or stunting..this division is the perfect combo and I really wish they had it when I was back stuck on a level 2 team when I had severe mental blocks, yet I was a level 4/5 flyer & base :rolleyes: This type of issue depends a lot on the program itself, but I'm glad several gyms/"big" gyms are giving this new division a shot!

^^sorry I know this is why I hate..but I felt I'd address the opposition and not going to lie, at first I thought this was the dumbest idea ever and cheerleaders would be stuck in 4.2 for life...but thats for athletes/coaches to determine.

I hate 4.2 because it discourages kids from taking tumbling classes.
That's what I think! When kids know are like "Oh well, I have my bhs, I'll get put on 4.2" it makes me soo mad. Like, it makes kids not want to try as hard in tumbling because, IMO, most kids prefer stunting, so they just think "Oh well".
eh, sorry if that didn't make sense.

Back