All-Star Woodward 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lol... I meant school year, not season... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotshots camp (if it were late summer) yes,..for Woodward probably not. That first week is essential in finding a rhythm for the whole season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus, our kids have homework on day 1 of school so it's not necessarily a blow off week.

My 2 CPs went 3 times last year. Each time they came back with confidence and added skills. They attend the Woodward West location. Malcom Buffington the Cheer Director is awesome. The guy not only knows his tumbling as a coach, but he makes the camp so much fun for all that go.

If you have the ability to take time off from work, you can request to be an "employee" at the camp. A background check, application and approval process must take place, but it will give you a considerable discount if you can work. It also allows for you to be somewhat present during the camp. Seeing first hand gives even more credibility to the camp in my eyes.

An awesome experience for any child to go to. I've seen one CP go to the cheer camp and a sibling go to the BMX camp during the same week.

For TAP week they say that you can compete to win future discounts and free weeks. Now I think that is more on the BMX, Skateboard side. The BMX/Skateboard program there are always a lot more promotions, give-a-ways and sponsorships. I am going to give her a week to get settled back at home and see if she still wants to go back week 11 or just put that money to the side so she can go two weeks next summer instead.

From what I have read and can tell, TAP (Talent Advancement Program) use to invite athletes back for a free week, then it went to half-price, then the current$300 off. Also, from the girls I know that were tapped week 1, it looks like they are tapping a lot more knowing only a few will return. In my daughter's cabin of 12, all but 2 were tapped and those 2 are there for 2 weeks so they can be tapped week 2. In her gym group, 4 of 12 were tapped. I don't know if the remaining girls are there for additional weeks. It seems like they are tapping more kids?

By the way, the TAP letter says you can NOT combine the $300 with additional discounts.Although I read this on the letter, I also e-mailed and asked on Saturday if I can combine the $300 with either the $100 military discount or $100 returning camper (same summer) discount and was told no that you can not combine discounts. So the total discount would be $300 max. Good news is fights have went down from over $400 back to around $190 round trip on Southwest. If I were to get the total combined of $500 off, I probably would have already registered her to return.

With my daughter's age, an adult has to fly up with her because the airlines only allow unaccompanied minors on direct flights or connecting flights through specific airports and the available flights I checked have layovers at non-approved airports for minors. So for us, it is three airline tickets. 1 roundtrip for DD. 1 round trip to drop her off, 1 round trip to pick her up. :( The least expensive route we have found is to fly into Baltimore and rent a car with my military or employee discount, then drive 3 hours to camp. Perhaps next summer I can volunteer to work at the camp. I wasn't able to get the time off this summer.

My CP was in the same cabin with your daughter and was one of the 2 not tapped that was staying for 2 weeks. She and her friend were both tapped during their second week. They were told that if you are staying for mutiple weeks you will only get tapped during your last week. They were happy to get the recognition, but they won't being going back. We already gave them 2 weeks!

Not to sound suspicious but it just seems to me this tapped thing is just a chance to get the kids to come back. Sure they give you a discounted rate but it's still gonna cost you a lot.
Speaking for a coaching standpoint it just means missing another week of practice.
I personally find that our kids that go don't get a whole lot from Woodward. It's more of a fun experience meeting other kids. We have kids get a lot more when we have Debbie love come to our gym for just a few days. And it's a fraction of the cost.

Not to sound suspicious but it just seems to me this tapped thing is just a chance to get the kids to come back. Sure they give you a discounted rate but it's still gonna cost you a lot.
Speaking for a coaching standpoint it just means missing another week of practice.
I personally find that our kids that go don't get a whole lot from Woodward. It's more of a fun experience meeting other kids. We have kids get a lot more when we have Debbie love come to our gym for just a few days. And it's a fraction of the cost.
It is. Although it is exciting for the kids to be chosen, that is exactly what it comes down to.

I wish they would have Debbie Love come visit us! I have never met her, but she seems amazing!!!!!! :)

It is. Although it is exciting for the kids to be chosen, that is exactly what it comes down to.
I would be more willing to send her back if it was more elite/selective. Now that I know how much the TAP program has changed, we will wait to send her back next year. I really hope Woodward would see that parents know what is going on and go back to being selective and giving the 50% or more discount.

My CP was in the same cabin with your daughter and was one of the 2 not tapped that was staying for 2 weeks. She and her friend were both tapped during their second week. They were told that if you are staying for mutiple weeks you will only get tapped during your last week. They were happy to get the recognition, but they won't being going back. We already gave them 2 weeks!
Thank you for the update. It just confirms my thoughts already. I am sure we will see your girls around this season! :)

Thank you for the update. It just confirms my thoughts already. I am sure we will see your girls around this season! :)

I think the girls have already determined which competitions they will all be attending!

My CP was told that 5 kids are selected from each mandatory class. If that is accurate, than it is selective, but a lot of kids are selected.

I know you all ready made your decision and with the way the TAP program has evolved I totally agree with that decision. I just wanted to say that I think it is fine for your child to miss school for whatever reason you want. You all ready stated that she is a good student and I am sure you are not worried about her making up the work. I know that every kid is different, but their childhood is so short and there is more to life than sitting in a classroom. I also think attendance policies are stupid when they are lorded over kids who are successful in school but miss school for things such as athletic competitions. The attendance policies were put in place to catch those kids that need extra support in many different ways, not to punish kids that excel both in and out of the classroom. I know we have debated this before so I apologize for bringing it back up.

*stepping off my soapbox - sorry*

My two cents on woodward, as a former camper. Now, I didn't attend camp while I was young, I only went for the summer before my junior and senior years of high school. I never excelled at tumbling by any means, heck, I was barely even mediocre at tumbling at times. But by going to woodward I did feel that I gained a new perspective towards my skills. It was always really nice to have a new coach's perspective and critiques towards your tumbling. Also everyone from staff to campers were incredibly encouraging, maybe I got lucky with that aspect, but I find it to be true. My first year I went for one week and had a blast and insisted I go back the following summer. So the second summer I went for two weeks, during the first week I received the Target award as well as the TAP award. And while it wasn't possible to go back to TAP week for me, I was going in to my senior year-taking several AP courses as well as on two teams at my gym, and due to financial reasons, it was still really nice to receive some sort of recognition for all my hard work. TAP awards typically went to those that pushed themselves 110% during mandatory hours, but were also pushing themselves at optional open gyms and conditioning sessions to become better well rounded athletes. I also really enjoyed woodward because it was the only summer camp experience I would ever have. I made some good friends that I remember meeting up with throughout the season, and just have that camp experience-from talentshow nights, to campfires, to hanging out at the canteen. To me, those few weeks spent at woodward will be cherished and something I'm so grateful my parents allowed me to experience.

Incredibly sorry for such a long-winded rant.

I know you all ready made your decision and with the way the TAP program has evolved I totally agree with that decision. I just wanted to say that I think it is fine for your child to miss school for whatever reason you want. You all ready stated that she is a good student and I am sure you are not worried about her making up the work. I know that every kid is different, but their childhood is so short and there is more to life than sitting in a classroom. I also think attendance policies are stupid when they are lorded over kids who are successful in school but miss school for things such as athletic competitions. The attendance policies were put in place to catch those kids that need extra support in many different ways, not to punish kids that excel both in and out of the classroom. I know we have debated this before so I apologize for bringing it back up.

*stepping off my soapbox - sorry*
Agreed, as long as a parent you understand that with those attendance choices come consequences, and the older the kids are and the more advanced in grades in school they are, typically the greater the repercussions for missing school, whatever the reason may be.

Back