All-Star Worlds 2012 Deductions...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I greatly appreciate what the judges do and how they give their time to this sport, some people may see a problem with the fact that certain things that happened just didn't make sense. I think the judges got it right in all but the one division, but I don't even want to get into that here because there is alread a thread for that.

Also many people were confused about the out of bounds thing, but the lovely @ACEDAD let the twitter world as well as us here on the board know the real rule.

The one thing I was looking for and couldn't find was a list on the USASF of how much each deduction is worth. I could have swore at one time it was on the website but now I can't find it. Am I completely missing it or is there a list posted somewhere?

You only need them in opposite corners, and as @ztaprincess just stated, deductions were only taken if you touched the green. Stepping on the white line or red border did not result in a deduction.
And you need them in every corner because a judge cannot watch two sides of the floor at one time if synchronized tumbling is being thrown around the floor, i.e. top gun with 16 punch front to doubles happening at the same time.

Is it easy for them to blink for an entire routine so that they don't see illegal elements?

I didn't think out of bounds was that big of an issue at worlds. It was stated that it would not be called until they stepped completely on the green. From the VOD I didn't see anyone do that except for I believe Georgia Semi Coed. Maybe I am missing something though.

It was just an example of one of the many things they can "miss".

For anyone to say, imply, or think the judges at an event like Worlds don't care about the sport is absolutely absurd. As a judge you know that no matter what the outcome you are going to get bitched at for it. "The judges got it wrong", "the judges are blind", "the judges are idiots", "what the hell were they watching", "were they watching at all", "how did they miss that", "do they know the rules" etc, etc. All for taking a day or 2 off from our real jobs to make the Worlds experience the best that we can for YOU.

Worlds for us means at least 14 hours days with 90 minutes of breaks if we're lucky. For those of us in the warmup room it means getting cussed at by coaches because we let them know THEY have something illegal in THEIR routine and trying to fix it before it's performed on the main floor and point are taken. Getting looks and rolled eyes from teenager after teenager because they think they are the special one that can be in the warmup room without their uniform on, tumble on the mat before their time starts, or do their stunt one more time after their time has ended.

For those on the judges stand it means meticulously watch routine after routine with barely enough time to eat or drink or use the restroom if you dare take a drink. Having fans and parent walk by the judges stand to yell or throw things at you because their team that has won every rinky dink competition they've attended got a score they thought was too low or finished someplace other than first.

We could easily skip the weekend and spend time with our families or girlfriends, or not taking time of work, or sleeping in our own beds, or any number of things. But instead we take the trip to Orlando because we know we are good at what we do and would rather do our part to make sure the event is the best it can be, which will make the sport better.

As someone who's worked as a soccer tournament official and referee, I can say that I certainly appreciate anyone who takes time out of their lives to help officiate any kind of youth sport. It is an often thankless job.

Hopefully as cheer matures, folks like you will get more tools and resources to improve rule enforcement and judging.

And you need them in every corner because a judge cannot watch two sides of the floor at one time if synchronized tumbling is being thrown around the floor, i.e. top gun with 16 punch front to doubles happening at the same time.

Suggest that to the USASF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEPUW8jtkc
please watch 1:24, the front right corner, and then the next set of girls at the front left corner....two girls out of bounds

Part of the reason I said that's basically what done earlier, when comparing to how gymnastics handles out of bounds, is because the line judges in cheer don't raise anything immediately. Instead they tell the scoring table later. I haven't looked for scores to see if the team was given any deductions. Do you know for certain if they were called or not?

Part of the reason I said that's basically what done earlier, when comparing to how gymnastics handles out of bounds, is because the line judges in cheer don't raise anything immediately. Instead they tell the scoring table later. I haven't looked for scores to see if the team was given any deductions. Do you know for certain if they were called or not?

CEA small senior had only .5 in deductions.

Ok so, if your team stepped out of bounce, dropped a stunt, and won with zero deduction, would you get on this board and complain? Probably not. Only when they get 2nd or below do people whine about the winners. Train harder!

Ok so, if your team stepped out of bounce, dropped a stunt, and won with zero deduction, would you get on this board and complain? Probably not. Only when they get 2nd or below do people whine about the winners. Train harder!
Training harder has nothing to do with deductions not being called.

I'm not a USASF employee, just a contractor for the weekend just like the scoring judges. In order for something to change I suggest letting the USASF know.

figures the "contractors/judges/whatever you call it" would not care to change anything to better the sport, as long as you guys get your paycheck, youre happy.

Andre's post was explaining that he knew and understood his task and the authority he had.

Your post shows that you don't understand either of those things or anything about the person you are talking to.

Andre's post was explaining that he knew and understood his task and the authority he had.

Your post shows that you don't understand either of those things or anything about the person you are talking to.

If you say so "sharky" .

First @lolsmileyface_backAGAIN - Really? Are we Minis? Act your age, not your shoe size, please.

Anyways... Is there any sort of instant replay that the judges use? I always have though deductions should be checked against a replay of the routine by a separate set of judges. Watch it is slow-mo, just a double check to make sure the judges didn't miss anything, and didn't count anything that shouldn't been counted. Everybody makes mistakes, it's good to double check

First @lolsmileyface_backAGAIN - Really? Are we Minis? Act your age, not your shoe size, please.

Anyways... Is there any sort of instant replay that the judges use? I always have though deductions should be checked against a replay of the routine by a separate set of judges. Watch it is slow-mo, just a double check to make sure the judges didn't miss anything, and didn't count anything that shouldn't been counted. Everybody makes mistakes, it's good to double check

I wasn't at the scoring table, but I know there was a replay monitor for the rules people at the scoring table. I don't know if deductions people were allowed to use it and I'm pretty sure the scoring judges were not allowed to use it.

Back