All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have absolutely no words for this. It is actually laughable. My kid has done standing whip pass to full in the routine for two years now and because of her age will now not be allowed to move up or continue at least the same skills.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Non restricted J5 can still do it? If she's at least 9 years old. There will be some 8 year olds with full level 5 skills who will not be allowed to compete them.

Pretty sure the J5 rules haven't changed. She can move up and progress.

J5 teams are very rare to come by. Like I’m old and don’t have kids so I don’t really have stock in this either way, but I think saying “Just put her on a J5” is kind of a ridiculous point unless you’re in one of the Cheer Mecca’s. I’ve cheered in KC, Denver, and STL and idk if any of the gyms around me have ever fielded J5 teams, even though there were many very good programs in each city.

R5 is very common to come by.

Edit: Regardless of wether or not you agree with her I think her frustrations are valid frustrations and I don’t think she at all deserves being the butt of everyone’s jokes. I completely understand how she’s feeling and she and many other people are probably feeling the same way for the same reasons.

I have absolutely no words for this. It is actually laughable. My kid has done standing whip pass to full in the routine for two years now and because of her age will now not be allowed to move up or continue at least the same skills.

Why can't she continue the same skills and even more? She just can't throw them in the routine if R5 but can on J5, right? Be thankful that J5 and R5 are options where you are... many places in the country they are not - been there lived that with a kid that only missed the new cutoff by TWELVE days!

J5 teams are very rare to come by. Like I’m old and don’t have kids so I don’t really care either way, but I think saying “Just our her on a J5” is kind of a ridiculous point unless you’re in one of the Cheer Mecca’s. I’ve cheered in KC, Denver, and STL and idk if any of the gyms around me have ever fielded J5 teams, even though there were many very good programs in each city.

R5 is very common to come by.
I don't disagree but in this particular case I'm pretty sure the gym she's at has a Jr 5 team.

Everybody is talking about J5 and I'm over here wondering what happened to S1? I know plenty of older kids without any tumbling at all. Will they have to compete as a novice Senior level 2? And isn't that going to make for a ridiculous amount of divisions? At comps I'm already seeing a lot of divisions with one team in them.

Pretty sure the J5 rules haven't changed. She can move up and progress.
Well not progress...She can move to j5 and tumble what she has been for standing tumbling. I can't imagine these ridiculous changes will stick. It doesn't make sense...a 12/13/14 year old would likely not fly on a j5 team, so a flyer would move to a worlds team from restricted without standing tumbling to a twist or a j5 tumbler (maybe base) would move to a worlds team with a year or more of not flying level 5 skills. This is not progression it is just crazy.

Why can't she continue the same skills and even more? She just can't throw them in the routine if R5 but can on J5, right? Be thankful that J5 and R5 are options where you are... many places in the country they are not - been there lived that with a kid that only missed the new cutoff by TWELVE days!
I think the issue might be some of these larger gyms might now have too many kids that will fit into a j5 skill set. Will be interesting to see if they do multiple variations of j5 within same gym- like small or large, coed and all girl.

Everybody is talking about J5 and I'm over here wondering what happened to S1? I know plenty of older kids without any tumbling at all. Will they have to compete as a novice Senior level 2? And isn't that going to make for a ridiculous amount of divisions? At comps I'm already seeing a lot of divisions with one team in them.
CU clarified that it's still there.

Well not progress...She can move to j5 and tumble what she has been for standing tumbling. I can't imagine these ridiculous changes will stick. It doesn't make sense...a 12/13/14 year old would likely not fly on a j5 team, so a flyer would move to a worlds team from restricted without standing tumbling to a twist or a j5 tumbler (maybe base) would move to a worlds team with a year or more of not flying level 5 skills. This is not progression it is just crazy.

When it comes to the standing tumbling progression, it does make sense. level 3 is standing multiple handsprings. then you jump to level four and you see whip-layouts because kids didn't learn to properly set into their tucks in standing tumbling, and they need layouts for the higher bracket ranges. jumping from 3-4-5 has always had a point of contention around the ways of skipping and lumping together tumbling skills (3-4 in standing and 4-5 in running basically). Just because your kid was coached right in her progression and can do it, along with having the natural talent for it, doesn't mean that all kids are/do...most kids are pushed to progress before they perfect just to max out difficulty and we see those teams that shouldn't be at worlds because they get outscored by j5 teams and everyone comes on here to complain about them.

ETA: this is a way of trying to bring together that standard of progressing along all the scoresheet at the same time, and because it hasn't been in place for years, kids are going to get stuck in less than desirable situations, but in the long run, it's better for the sport, and that's what we need to remind ourselves of...we all want safety and betterment. We can't complain because it sucks for a couple years for a few kids while needed changes are implemented.

Back