All-Star How Come There Is No Jr. World But Dance?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2014
How come there is JR. Dance worlds but not Jr. Cheer? Please don't say it's harder because they both have their challenges.

Juniors used to be able to go to the Cheerleading Worlds but they got rid of that division when the senior divisions got much bigger. There was hardly enough time for all of the senior divisions at Worlds...adding jrs back in would be chaos! Thankfully with the Summit, they still have a high title to reach for. The Dance Worlds is not as large as the Cheerleading Worlds so there is still room for junior aged teams. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's because you have the Summit for non-Senior/Open teams to compete at.

That's not the reason. They eliminated juniors at Worlds well before Summit came into play. 2010 was the last year they allowed Jr cheer at Worlds. Summit has only been around since 2013.

If I remember correctly, at the time, people were saying it was because they didn't want the younger ones (under 12) at Worlds. If that is the case, it doesn't seem like a valid reason since dance junior teams still attend and would still have the under 12 kids attending with them.

Maybe someone else has more insight into the true reason why they eliminated cheer juniors from Worlds.

Juniors used to be able to go to the Cheerleading Worlds but they got rid of that division when the senior divisions got much bigger. There was hardly enough time for all of the senior divisions at Worlds...adding jrs back in would be chaos! Thankfully with the Summit, they still have a high title to reach for. The Dance Worlds is not as large as the Cheerleading Worlds so there is still room for junior aged teams. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tbh, if you look back at past history, there weren't THAT many junior 5 teams that competed at Worlds. They used to have to earn bids based on video submissions and they competed in international junior 5 divisions. I want to say there were only the two divisions, all girl international J5 and coed international J5 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Even now, the number of junior 5 teams in the country isn't anywhere near the number of senior 5 worlds teams. So, I wouldn't exactly say it would be chaos if they were added back in.

I will say this, J5 is the ONLY true Level 5 (non-restricted) division that does not get to compete at Worlds. They are competing routines with just as much difficulty and high level of execution as all the Worlds teams. Many of the top J5 teams in the country are consistently outscoring the vast majority of the Worlds teams out there. Because of that, IMO, I feel they should be given the same opportunity to compete on the Worlds mat with all the rest of the level 5/6 teams out there. Summit was an amazing experience, but still is not the same as Worlds.

Tbh, if you look back at past history, there weren't THAT many junior 5 teams that competed at Worlds. They used to have to earn bids based on video submissions and they competed in international junior 5 divisions. I want to say there were only the two divisions, all girl international J5 and coed international J5 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Even now, the number of junior 5 teams in the country isn't anywhere near the number of senior 5 worlds teams. So, I wouldn't exactly say it would be chaos if they were added back in.

I will say this, J5 is the ONLY true Level 5 (non-restricted) division that does not get to compete at Worlds. They are competing routines with just as much difficulty and high level of execution as all the Worlds teams. Many of the top J5 teams in the country are consistently outscoring the vast majority of the Worlds teams out there. Because of that, IMO, I feel they should be given the same opportunity to compete on the Worlds mat with all the rest of the level 5/6 teams out there. Summit was an amazing experience, but still is not the same as Worlds.
They only had to submit videos one year (2010 I think?). That is because they were phasing the juniors out of the Worlds experience. Prior to that, they received bids as well. There are a few more reasons why they removed the juniors from Worlds that I can't seem to remember, but if you search for threads relating to the subject, I know there were discussions where industry professionals explained the reasoning behind it.

How come there is JR. Dance worlds but not Jr. Cheer? Please don't say it's harder because they both have their challenges.

It might be because 1 is dance and the other is Cheer could be the reason, duh... Okay, good question, next question! Tick-Tock!:D

Last edited:
Back