OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@Just-a-Mom @njallday thank y'all so much! I'm ready to give up my social life for those two classes I'll be taking together (A&P and Micro) because I know when (or if) I get into nursing school I wont have a life so it'll be good practice ;) lol. I'll come to you two if I have any questions in the future! (If that's okay)

It was the hardest class of my life. To give you a frame of reference, in my various times in college and various majors, I've taken the majority of the classes that are notoriously difficult - with the exception of statistics (I don't know how I've gotten 120 credits and not taken that yet, but voila!)

I found micro to be harder than organic chem, physics, anatomy & physiology, pharmacology, etc.

I will say that I took it at a school that goes in quarters rather than semesters, so I had to learn it in 10 weeks, not 16. We did 28 chapters in a 10 week (really 9 because finals are week 10), 6-hour a week class. My 89.4 was the highest grade by 5 points. :(

Sorry to be negative Nancy but that class was a nightmare. Interesting, and a lot of really useful information but it was hard to learn.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Was the class more like Biology (stupid question I know) or more like A&P in the sense that you have to really understand the material rather than memorize it?

Was the class more like Biology (stupid question I know) or more like A&P in the sense that you have to really understand the material rather than memorize it?

It's both. A ton of memorization but you also need to understand it. Hard to explain.

Example antibiotics chapter: we had to learn the names of basically every antibiotic known to man (and I swear they all have the same names, with like one letter different), and then understand how they work (eg "inhibition of cell wall synthesis"). The way our teacher would test was she'd name the disease (from another chapter) and we'd have to remember what bacteria caused it, and how that bacteria "attacked" and figure out which method of action would kill it, and then choose the antibiotic that used that method. I'll never forget that test as long as I live - I studied a total of 31 hours for it and got an 88. :'(

I actually only took it a year ago so I will probably be able to help you. It's an interesting class, and truthfully as long as you go into it knowing that you have to put in the time, you should be fine. I think where people struggle is that they're a third of the way into the course before they realize that they need to be putting in at least double the work the normally do, and by then it's too late.

Update on the townhouse we were interested in. It's now been on the market for over a month. Our realtor got a call from theirs and apparently they're going to have to go into a short sale, which means we'd be dealing with the bank.

We still have 8 months left on our lease, so time isn't an issue, but I know that buying a short sale can be a huge pain in the butt. Hopefully we can get a good deal for it if that's the case.

I tried AP Calc AB last year...hahahahahahaha...this year I went to finite because they wouldn't let me just not take a math class even though I could have stopped after sophomore year. Currently in a 2 hour study hall...destroyed my AP gov and finite final! :shimmy: About to go do the same for APES!

I tried AP Calc AB last year...hahahahahahaha...this year I went to finite because they wouldn't let me just not take a math class even though I could have stopped after sophomore year. Currently in a 2 hour study hall...destroyed my AP gov and finite final! :shimmy: About to go do the same for APES!
I could've stopped in 9th grade but my parents want me to take math every year of high school. Boo. Not sure what I'll take next year, either stat or calc 3 through mizzou.... That is if I can get through calc bc

GUYS i found the gal who made cheetahs, panthers, GBE lime, ice, and ua, and top gun 005 bows <3 im super excited cuz she has a store that is only like an hour and a half from me!! although she cant recreate the bows id love a few bows from someone whos that creative cuz all of those teams bows are so pretty!! lol But now i have to find a friend who would go with me to a store and hour and a half from home for cheer bows lol also her facebook page is Get Your Bow On! - Poplar Grove, IL - Cheerleading | Facebook

It's both. A ton of memorization but you also need to understand it. Hard to explain.

Example antibiotics chapter: we had to learn the names of basically every antibiotic known to man (and I swear they all have the same names, with like one letter different), and then understand how they work (eg "inhibition of cell wall synthesis"). The way our teacher would test was she'd name the disease (from another chapter) and we'd have to remember what bacteria caused it, and how that bacteria "attacked" and figure out which method of action would kill it, and then choose the antibiotic that used that method. I'll never forget that test as long as I live - I studied a total of 31 hours for it and got an 88. :'(

I actually only took it a year ago so I will probably be able to help you. It's an interesting class, and truthfully as long as you go into it knowing that you have to put in the time, you should be fine. I think where people struggle is that they're a third of the way into the course before they realize that they need to be putting in at least double the work the normally do, and by then it's too late.

Thank you so much! Are there any books that help with the class? Like in a&p I have the anatomy coloring book to help reinforce bones and all that jazz. I know who I'll be pm-ing next year ;) lol

Thank you so much! Are there any books that help with the class? Like in a&p I have the anatomy coloring book to help reinforce bones and all that jazz. I know who I'll be pm-ing next year ;) lol
That coloring book was priceless. I used it constantly during my A&P of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism class and well as during Neurolinguistics. I wish I could have had more classes to use it in!

That coloring book was priceless. I used it constantly during my A&P of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism class and well as during Neurolinguistics. I wish I could have had more classes to use it in!
Haven't used it much (I'm taking a&p in the spring) but have started coloring it. Seems very useful from what everyone tells me!

@ashscott41 Thank you for your sweet words. I just fixed my schedule so I can retake it next semester. Hopefully everything works out, and if it doesn't then I guess med school just isn't for me. There are plenty of other things I can do with a psychology degree. Honestly, the hardest part was telling my mom. I've never heard her so disappointed. :( I was always the one with the amazing grades, and now I feel as though I just let her and my dad down.

I know your mom is super proud of you regardless. I agree with the post above - she was probably just caught off guard. So you take it again. I know you're disappointed but this is not the end of the world. Some of the smartest, most successful people I know had to retake classes in college, including some docors. Sometimes things just don't click the first time.

It's ok to be upset and disappointed, but after break you dust yourself off and get back on the horse.

Ya'll I just feel awful. I studied my butt off for that organic final and I ended up with a D. There goes med school. :( I hate that class because the only grades were tests. I don't know what I'm going to do...
I had many friends that struggled with orgo in nursing school. One of them took it at a local community college before taking it at her university. Seemed to work well for her. Maybe that's an option for some of your other classes? It beats the price of taking it twice at your university.

Just got out of my calculus final. I think it went well? It was really similar to the review and I spent about two days studying and learning how to do everything on the review so I'm pretty sure that I at least passed. I just feel uneasy about it.

Okay, back to studying because I have my accounting exam in an hour and I have an economics one tomorrow morning!

@U.E. Cheer don't hesitate to ask if you need help! can't guarantee i'll be the most helpful, but worth a shot :p you seem like a dedicated student, so i have no doubt you will do great! good luck!

so i'm getting one of those vinyl wall decal quotes to go over my bed in my apartment since i can't put any nails into the wall to hang things... but i am having such a hard time choosing which quote i want. who knew it was such a hard decision? i have too many "mantras" i guess. off to re-read my entire pinterest quote board...

Back