OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
That's so interesting! My county is super small but my school is on the border of two different counties, so there's a major road close to our school. I can't think of any major accidents in the past six years connected to my school and our open lunch.

All the HS's in my county have some sort of Senior requirement to graduate. My school has Senior Project and it's a class period built into the school day, you're allowed to leave during this period in the second quarter. Most use the time to complete some service or internship requirement but you can also just use it to go home early or come to school late, or get a late lunch as the period is 1.5 hours long. The other school in our county has 'senior experience' where Seniors use the last month of school to intern/work. About three years ago, a kid died during this period because his friends were driving a car and pulling him along on a skateboard. They debated changing the protocol because the students weren't using the time the way they were supposed to but I don't think they did. At least with our version of Senior Project students still are required to be in school for most of the day.
Depending on your schedule, as a senior you could have "early release" which means you would be done and allowed to leave during the last period. Some seniors even have "double early release" which means they have the last two periods free and can go. The kids in the IB program have "Senior Project" as well, which basically means once their IB exams are all finished in May, they only have to show up for a certain number of hours each week to help a designated teacher.

In case anyone cares....it appears that Girl Meets World is going to be cancelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Girl Meets World didn't belong on Disney Channel. It need the ABC Family treatment for sure. ABC is pretty congested with it's programing right now but I'm sure it could find a home there too. Disney only lets shows go on for so long, and I imagine they felt the pressure of BMW fans who wanted Riley to handle more age appropriate issues which never happens on Disney shows.

Depending on your schedule, as a senior you could have "early release" which means you would be done and allowed to leave during the last period. Some seniors even have "double early release" which means they have the last two periods free and can go. The kids in the IB program have "Senior Project" as well, which basically means once their IB exams are all finished in May, they only have to show up for a certain number of hours each week to help a designated teacher.

Our projects were legit year long requirements to graduate. If you didn't successfully present your project you'd get to walk but you wouldn't get you diploma sent to you unless you went to some sort of summer school to fix and re-present. Everyone completes it at different times. I got my project approve at the end of Junior year so I got to present pretty early. I had some friends present in May/June. The only issue with this is that many people bail on school once senior project is done because it's normally in the second semester, when colleges acceptances are rolling in and if you're passing the two requirements to graduate you're basically done.

Girl Meets World didn't belong on Disney Channel. It need the ABC Family treatment for sure. ABC is pretty congested with it's programing right now but I'm sure it could find a home there too. Disney only lets shows go on for so long, and I imagine they felt the pressure of BMW fans who wanted Riley to handle more age appropriate issues which never happens on Disney shows.

Our projects were legit year long requirements to graduate. If you didn't successfully present your project you'd get to walk but you wouldn't get you diploma sent to you unless you went to some sort of summer school to fix and re-present. Everyone completes it at different times. I got my project approve at the end of Junior year so I got to present pretty early. I had some friends present in May/June. The only issue with this is that many people bail on school once senior project is done because it's normally in the second semester, when colleges acceptances are rolling in and if you're passing the two requirements to graduate you're basically done.

There's a petition to move it to Freeform. The ratings were falling and it seems that they cast expected at least another season. Me thinks it's because they never focused on the correct target audience

10 years don't care or get BMW nostalgia

our high school was the same way, you could have a 4.0 but if you didnt fully complete and commit to the senior project you failed and had to come back during the summer.
they were really lax on senior project at our HS because we were one of the first graduating classes to be required to do one. They had a loophole to where you could say screw the senior project and still graduate and all you had to do was retake english over the summer which didnt require you to redo senior project. The school eventually nixed that idea after a year or two after i graduated to prevent kids from doing it.
the school also hammered down on what was acceptable and what wasnt acceptable senior projects as well after i graduated. I volunteered at a animal rescue group every weekend and "tried" to raise money at the end. No one gave me anything expect my parents and a few neighbors, ha. I also made the mistake of asking for a donation from the animal shelter once, and they told me i had to cease and desist because apparently i was making them look bad :confused: ??? lol
im gonna be honest looking back, my senior project was the laziest of lazy you could possibly pull off and still pass and graduate. (Granted i was taking 2 AP classes and an honors class, so i had no time in reality to do anything extra) i had a guy friend who painted his car as his senior project, lol. They dont let you do these kinds of things anymore, class of 2007 ruined it for everyone LOL.

There's a petition to move it to Freeform. The ratings were falling and it seems that they cast expected at least another season. Me thinks it's because they never focused on the correct target audience

10 years don't care or get BMW nostalgia

Exactly! I think Disney overestimated how many older millennials actually watch their programing. They probably realized they get the most out of that age group from airing older programs. Girl Meets World was fine on Disney as middle schoolers, but to follow the legacy of BMW, it needs to be in a space that allows it to be true to the teen girl experience. It's sad bc girls need a show like GMW, where the protagonist is a little more complex than what they're giving us.
Nickelodeon, even Cartoon Network all took risks in what it had in their programming, I wish Disney would get this message.

they were really lax on senior project at our HS because we were one of the first graduating classes to be required to do one. They had a loophole to where you could say screw the senior project and still graduate and all you had to do was retake english over the summer which didnt require you to redo senior project. The school eventually nixed that idea after a year or two after i graduated to prevent kids from doing it.

Our SP is kind of a big deal, in fact the Gov. of Virginia just signed the bill that makes Senior Project a statewide thing at my school because of all of it's success. We get our projects approved either at the end of Junior (if you start in the summer) or September of senior year. You have to journal and have an outside advisor sign off on entries. You get also present the project on a panel with your SP teacher (who's main purpose is to make sure you're keeping up), a student of your choice, your advisor and a retired staff member. They each grade on a criteria and how many hours you put toward your project. You can either pass, pass plus or get an Outstanding. You can also invite people to come to your presentation-I always went to my friends presentations with food.

Projects varied but essentially you could do it on anything. My friend's sister did hers on pole dancing (??), some do it on the college process, their sport, heritage. Sports ones are kind of cop outs and now if you do it on your sport it has to have a little flair to it, normally coaching kids, getting certified. Mine was on "marketing" a better reputation for my school's in the community. I essentially made an events from cheer and student government objectives. Minimal effort but really made an impact. Helped that my teacher was also the Senior class advisor, and I had a marketing internship. These projects are really cool and serve to help students explore something they care about. I actually was apart of two different Senior Projects growing up in my county, because students would volunteer in classrooms or help out with clubs.

Is Beaches the one that Idina Menzel is going to star in? (If it is, no, thank you.)

Also, I'm a little weirded out and also impressed by how accurate the Broadwayworld.com message board has correctly guessed the replacements for Hamilton/the Chicago cast. Although I wish the Chicago Burr was going to be in the Broadway show instead....
Yes that's the movie. I love that movie. I just can't see someone else other than Bette Midler playing CC.

So someone explain to the foreigner what the heck a senior project is please? All I've gathered is that it is community service.

So someone explain to the foreigner what the heck a senior project is please? All I've gathered is that it is community service.
its a useless project to torture yourself with all senior year..... :p
... urban dictionary has some funny descriptions of what it is.

my high school had a smoking area for those over 18.

My older brothers had something like that but I'm not sure how official it was or if the school just turned a blind eye to it.

**j'applaudis avec mes cuisses de tonnerre**

It varies at different schools. My friends at other school districts just had to complete a certain amount of community service. Some schools require a work-study at the end of the school year. Mine, like I said, was an actual 'experience' project where you picked a topic or goal and four objectives to help accomplish your project. My friend wanted to learn more about scuba diving so she went diving when she travelled to the Philippines summer before senior year, took a certification class, read a book, etc. But some are service base, like mine where I worked with community members.

Back