All-Star Number Of Crossovers/stacking Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I mean I'm on J2, and my gym asked me to cross over to S2 bc they didn't have enough girls. I think that is acceptable in my opinion at least.

Yes your reason sounds acceptable. However there would be those that would suggest that the S2 should of just gone with the less girls option than allow you to crossover. The issue is that there are so many acceptable possibilities that they do not want to pass a rule because of the unacceptable ones. It seems that the ones that are the most unacceptable to the majority:

- crossing over and down more than one level ie level 5 to 3, or level 4 to 2
- crossing over and taking "positions away from the kids who have been working at them all year. ie a level 5 flyer crossing to level 2 and being made point flyer for a major competition
- crossing over to change divisions from, a stronger division to a weaker division or from all girl to coed - basically avoiding competition
- crossing over to "stack" teams - (4 or more crossovers IMO) This is usually when they are not on the team in the first place and are only crossover for a certain competition.
-crossing over athletes from higher level to lower level when a gym already has enough athletes to make good teams.
-crossing over because of the perceived quality of the competition ie we are going against WC, Stingrays, SOT, etc at our next competition and we need our best athletes on one team to try to win this division. (Rarely works btw)

Most other crossover reasons (illness, injury, people quitting, cross training an athlete to get their skills on equal levels, just a fun team) the majority understand.

So I have a question...say you're gym has multiple locations does the small gym count go by location or is it total across all locations? Our gym is one of 3 locations but we only have 4 teams so we would be a small gym but I think we're considered large because of the other two. I am I correct?

An individual can compete on 2 teams at NCA nationals, no crossovers between levels, and a max of 5 crossovers on an given team.

Thanks for the clarification. No crossovers between levels is great for a large gym that has several same level teams, but still doesn't help the small gyms. :(

To add to the post asking if our gym turns away athletes so that we can stay a small gym... yes that is correct. We have a handful of girls on a waiting list but we prefer to stay a small gym. Even having the full 80 athletes for 4 small teams with no crossovers would have us competing with gyms that are much larger such as Cheer Athletics, SOT, Champion Cheer, etc., who are all in our backyard. :rolleyes:

I know from personal experience my cp is level 4 has crossed over to a lower level as fill in for someone that has gotten hurt on a few occasions. But I have also seen a level 4 crossover to level 5 due to injuries So I believe if the need is there go with it.
i think filling in for an injured athlete is completely OKAY....but the problem is having more than 3 athletes from a more advanced level permanently on the lower level team .. i really dont think thats fair to the other athletes on that level.... theres a reason why theyre not competing at a level 5.....because theyre not level 5.... so i just dont think its ok to stack a team like that.... its like having a worlds team do a level 3 or 4 routine... of course its gunna be close to impossible to beat them ... i just think the playing field should be even .....

tumbleyoda said:
After tryouts we had 2 crossovers with 10 teams. Unfortunately this past weekend we had to use several due to various sickness, injuries etc going on in the gym, but I love our little or none at all approach to crossovers. It works well for us just as I have seen gyms with massive crossovers do very well.

I've always tried to use none to very few crossovers. This is my first year having more than 1 or 2. It's a headache when registering for comps plus all of the other headaches it brings--if the crossover can't compete, you now need a fill in for 2 teams, if they're sick they may miss both team practices, etc.
I prefer none but it is nice to have the option when plan A doesn't work.

I gave my own personal experience with my cp as a crossover because it is just one example of the need for crossovers. As I have read thru the thread I have seen other needs for crossovers, so if it is something that is needed, then I say go for it.

It bothers me more when S5 kids cross down to J5, or J5 to Y5. There was one J5 team either last year or the year before, and at least 3-4 of their flyers were flyers on the senior team as well. Really? Way to take away from the actual junior aged kids.

So I have a question...say you're gym has multiple locations does the small gym count go by location or is it total across all locations? Our gym is one of 3 locations but we only have 4 teams so we would be a small gym but I think we're considered large because of the other two. I am I correct?
we have 3 gyms too. they are all the same name but 3 individual owners. 1 of our gyms is considered small gym. they only have 3 small teams, so they can compete small gym.

I agree that smaller teams with less then 20 athletes can be just as competitive, however we have athletes from our level 2 team that are are on our mini team as well as our Senior 3 and Senior 4 teams. If we didn't have crossovers then our level 2 team would only have 10 athletes. In my opinion, a team that small just isn't as competitive as teams with 16 - 20 athletes. As it stands, our level 2 team is phenomenal and it's a shame that NCA doesn't allow crossovers for small gyms.

THIS is something that I think needs to be fixed. Why oh why are there athletes competing on a MINI team and a SENIOR team? I am sorry but there is no reason someone who is in the age range for a mini team should also be on a team with senior age athletes. Heck they don't want high schools on teams with 26 and 27 year olds but it is ok for a mini athlete to be on a team with an 18 year old?

Sorry that sort of took the thread in a different direction but that right there seriously made me look like this :eek:

It bothers me more when S5 kids cross down to J5, or J5 to Y5. There was one J5 team either last year or the year before, and at least 3-4 of their flyers were flyers on the senior team as well. Really? Way to take away from the actual junior aged kids.
Just to play devil's advocate, don't they have to be junior aged kids to be on the junior 5 team? So maybe they are taking spots from actual senior aged kids (since the 15+ year olds have no where else to go?)

Just to play devil's advocate, don't they have to be junior aged kids to be on the junior 5 team? So maybe they are taking spots from actual senior aged kids (since the 15+ year olds have no where else to go?)
I personally think 15 is too old too be on a senior team, but that's a whole other issue. I'd argue that most junior5 teams are generally younger kids, so when you stick the 15 year olds on to beef up tumbling, it's pretty obvious. It's beyond me why the J5 age limit is 15 though. You age out in 3 years at 15, it's a little old to be with 8 year olds.

I personally think 15 is too old too be on a senior team, but that's a whole other issue. I'd argue that most junior5 teams are generally younger kids, so when you stick the 15 year olds on to beef up tumbling, it's pretty obvious. It's beyond me why the J5 age limit is 15 though. You age out in 3 years at 15, it's a little old to be with 8 year olds.
My daughter is 15 and is on J4. She turned 15 in November. A lot of girls on her team are 14 turning 15 and are freshman just like her. At our gym most of our 8yr olds are on Mini or Youth teams depending on birthdays. We don't have too many 8yr old on Junior teams (Correct me if I'm wrong King). I thought it was perfectly normal to be 14/15 on a Jr team since that is what the age bracket is. :-/

If a Junior team was all 8/9/10 wouldn't that be a youth team?

And our team has 8-15 yr olds since we did away with the youth 5 team and combined some of them with the Small Jr 4 to make a Large Jr 4 (some went to other teams in the gym)... We know that we have a "younger" jr team by most standards but its worked so far this season.. The "older ones" can be just as silly as the younger ones and vice versa..... I guess what helps our team and that a core of them have been together since youth 2, with the same coaches, so that have come up through Twisters together... :)

My daughter is 15 and is on J4. She turned 15 in November. A lot of girls on her team are 14 turning 15 and are freshman just like her. At our gym most of our 8yr olds are on Mini or Youth teams depending on birthdays. We don't have too many 8yr old on Junior teams (Correct me if I'm wrong King). I thought it was perfectly normal to be 14/15 on a Jr team since that is what the age bracket is. :-/

And our team has 8-15 yr olds since we did away with the youth 5 team and combined some of them with the Small Jr 4 to make a Large Jr 4 (some went to other teams in the gym)... We know that we have a "younger" jr team by most standards but its worked so far this season.. The "older ones" can be just as silly as the younger ones and vice versa..... I guess what helps our team and that a core of them have been together since youth 2, with the same coaches, so that have come up through Twisters together... :)
Our ages are about the same as yours. My daughter has been on this team for 3yrs now and this year is by far the youngest of the 3 years but the little ones are doing a great job!

If a Junior team was all 8/9/10 wouldn't that be a youth team?
Not insulting any older kids on junior teams! Just wanted to clarify that. Obviously, it depends on the gym, and what teams are available. I just see most junior teams not being majority 14/15 year olds, because usually once your older you go onto a senior team. Heck, even 12 year olds are all over senior teams now.
I'm mostly just ramblin now, but my main point is that if you're primarily on a senior team and then go down to juniors, it's obviously stacking. Being older and on a j5 team is totally different.

Back