All-Star Recant

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

apparently I am, please explain. Thanks
I took it the same as you, I thought she was disagreeing that some rec teams are better than some allstar teams, which would be ridiculous. I guess I'm missing something too.

Let's just say that the OP has not always been so supportive and complimentary of rec cheer in other threads and basically said if your kid couldn't hang in all stars than they should go to rec cheer (not a direct quote).
I won't put words in anyone's mouth and will let @MOPSMommy1 speak for herself if she chooses, but from my own POV, @Tosh your comment was a little superior, although I am sure that isn't how it was meant. There are great rec programs with amazing skills. There are really bad programs as well. There are great all star programs, and there are some awful ones too. I don't think it needs to be a contest as to which is better. Both are valuable and serve a purpose. There is no doubt that the teams at Pop Warner Nationals could hang with and/or beat some higher level all star teams. But no one that you are quoting and responding to has made any negative comments towards rec cheer.

Let's just say that the OP has not always been so supportive and complimentary of rec cheer in other threads and basically said if your kid couldn't hang in all stars than they should go to rec cheer (not a direct quote).
I won't put words in anyone's mouth and will let @MOPSMommy1 speak for herself if she chooses, but from my own POV, @Tosh your comment was a little superior, although I am sure that isn't how it was meant. There are great rec programs with amazing skills. There are really bad programs as well. There are great all star programs, and there are some awful ones too. I don't think it needs to be a contest as to which is better. Both are valuable and serve a purpose. There is no doubt that the teams at Pop Warner Nationals could hang with and/or beat some higher level all star teams. But no one that you are quoting and responding to has made any negative comments towards rec cheer.
Thank you and I did not mean to be superior to anyone. You are correct the OP did make an off comment about Rec cheerleading and later made an appoligized to which I simply accepted on behalf of all Rec teams and made note that not all rec teams are bad, as not all AS teams are good.....basically the same point you made. My little rant did not come up until @MOPSMommy1 seem to (or at least what I preceived to be) make my comment that they are Rec teams that are better at the sport of cheerleading, a joke. So yes, I got a bit hot under the collar and just wanted to share some facts about Rec cheerleading that clearly some are completely unaware of....my appologies to all that take offense to my comments.

Sidenote: The Northeast (particularly NJ and MA) has some impressive rec leagues/teams. See also: Pop Warner. Check out Youtube.

Most of the formidable Jersey teams down the Shore left Pop Warner 4 years ago to form the NJAYC. The region went on to win 33 first place titles at Nationals in their first year and, iirc, nearly 100 Jersey teams placed in the top 3. The skill level is very impressive. There is also many National Champions in this area from Pop Warner too.

To be honest, I was surprised when I started attending all star comps (which I admit that my daughter's team only competes in a B circuit, for lack of better words) that while some gyms shined, others struggled, The divide is much more evident in all star. I have seen AYC Nationals be decided by tenths of a point many times. They are bred to hit ;) one mistake and you loose the title and the craziest thing is that their POP would be insanely high (if they were scored that way).

Tosh is rightwhen she said after aging out of the programs, most get placed at level 4 or above in all star or go straight to Varsity in High School. There is amazing talent everywhere in cheer, especially in NJ. I am not saying that one style of cheer is better than the other or the athletes are better; but I will always stand by the fact that many rec cheerleaders could hold their own if they started doing all star.

My daughter preferred all star because she prefers a heavier comp schedule, and loves the glitz. She was never a fan of the "cheer" part of the routine ,so we switched to AS solely after three years of rec and all star.

disclaimer..I am discussing NJ because I am the most experienced with that region. Great cheer can come from anywhere. But out here, it tends to be a way of life- lol!

and I am still not sure how I ended up in the midst of it-LOL

Disclaimer also... My cp started with Rec cheer and it was nothing like AS, when she made a team at AS the coaches would tell her that she wasn't in Pop Warner and to lose the scary facials! [emoji15] Our pop Warner was horrible, yes we did win all the time but that was because everyone around our area was also just as bad, I think the reason they were so bad was because of the volunteers running the show. They were a bunch of drunk mama's living through their children, YES I said drunk mama's. The Cheer Director was the worse one, she would be drunk at away comps and leave her child in the hotel room while she was man hunting! I've seen some amazing Rec teams but they certainly not from our area. How does it work for Rec Worlds? Do they only compete against their area? I saw a video of rec worlds awards and when they announce it, they said West, South etc, wondering how come all the areas don't compete against each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the formidable Jersey teams down the Shore left Pop Warner 4 years ago to form the NJAYC. The region went on to win 33 first place titles at Nationals in their first year and, iirc, nearly 100 Jersey teams placed in the top 3. The skill level is very impressive. There is also many National Champions in this area from Pop Warner too.

To be honest, I was surprised when I started attending all star comps (which I admit that my daughter's team only competes in a B circuit, for lack of better words) that while some gyms shined, others struggled, The divide is much more evident in all star. I have seen AYC Nationals be decided by tenths of a point many times. They are bred to hit ;) one mistake and you loose the title and the craziest thing is that their POP would be insanely high (if they were scored that way).

Tosh is rightwhen she said after aging out of the programs, most get placed at level 4 or above in all star or go straight to Varsity in High School. There is amazing talent everywhere in cheer, especially in NJ. I am not saying that one style of cheer is better than the other or the athletes are better; but I will always stand by the fact that many rec cheerleaders could hold their own if they started doing all star.

My daughter preferred all star because she prefers a heavier comp schedule, and loves the glitz. She was never a fan of the "cheer" part of the routine ,so we switched to AS solely after three years of rec and all star.
NJ rec is insane. My college roommate used to show my old videos of Toms River teams. Nuts.

We too had a terrible rec cheer experience before coming to allstar. They weren't part of any kind of national organization,mans the only competition was within the organization at the end of the season. No building, only jump, tumble, dance. And cheer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First off, if you were/are trying to educate someone on your sport you could start by losing the attitude. It is not very flattering and just makes people want to not continue reading. Your first post was more than a little superior and the follow up post about all your awards was down right rude. You have no idea how many jackets are hanging in my CPs closet or how many awards she has won and I refuse to get in a pissing contest with you about it.

Second of all, where I live Rec cheer is a joke. That is the only experience I have. I am sorry I didn't spend hours educating myself before posting a comment, but thank God you were there to steer me straight! Just like Allstar cheer is more popular/advanced in some areas than others, the same goes for Rec cheer. For every amazingly awesome Rec cheerleader you can show me from your area, I can show you at least five who can barely cartwheel and have been cheering Rec for at least 3 years from my area.

Third, I do apologize for personally offending you because that really wasn't my intention. I don't think one form of cheer is necessarily better than another, just different. The same can be said for HS versus Allstar. There are HS teams that can easily kick some Allstar team's butts and then there are HS teams who can't put a prep up to save their lives. We could go round and round for days but that isn't going to do us any good. I honestly just love to see good cheerleading, no matter where it comes from.

I am not sure if we will ever see eye to eye, but I can appreciate your passion even if you came on a little strong.

So kids who are a "failure" in progression (i.e. their tumbling skills only?) are supposed to quit allstars and join rec and vice versa?
My personal opinion: That attitude from parents/coaches/industry in the long run will kill all of the positive side affects this sport definitely has and for what I pay (more or less) and what I expect to be taught besides technique when I decide which program to choose (be it AS/HS/rec/...).

Latest posts

Back