All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All I have to say is social media ruins a lot of things. Common sense is something new generations lack. If you aren't supposed to do it. Don't post it. It leaves a trail. They don't understand that.

Then you have their Parents Mr. And Mrs. "My child is golden" which typically(at least in my area) end up being the ones with kids that constantly post underage stupidity.

So many problems would be solved if they had the common sense not to post it on social media. Especially snapchat. But they do not sadly.

Then it looks bad on a gym because it's like "oh so and so Allstars is allowing their kids to post this" which leads to parents not wanting their kids around them and a big ol' train of gossip creating a negative image for a gym. All because Becky sue posted one thing.

Common sense is all I'm asking for these kids to have.

I'm going to be 21 and I don't even post things like that. I may post food 24/7 and selfies because my eyebrows are fleek to the max that day and my highlight can be seen by zenon in her space shuttle but never that.

So much going on in this thread, but my 2 cents are:
No one is going to drug test my child unless I allow it. There are VERY FEW people in this industry I would trust to implement such a task. This is a voluntary "children's sport"...not the Olympics, NCAA, or professional sports. Parents need to be more vigilant, along with coaches, owners, and EPs. If these people work together, and do what is right when they encounter drug/alcohol usage, we can alleviate a huge portion of the issues.
It is NOT USASF's job to parent these athletes in this area nor "sheriff" them to make sure they don't use drugs and alcohol. USASF's job is mostly about safety and while this could border on safety, this is better handled by the individuals who are in closer proximity to the athletes.

Two years ago my old high school implemented drug testing for athletes/band/ anyone wanting a parking pass, one at the start of the year and then ransoms throughout. Parents were furious that their child would be tested. Same deal with breathalyzers on the way in to homecoming and prom. My little sister had no issue being tested, and my mom had no issue consenting. It's amazing how many parents have the "not my kid" denial and don't want to face the possibility that it could be there kid.

To save from another post, it also amazes me how many high schoolers parents allow them to visit their college friends constantly, especially for things like Halloween, St Patty's and spring "fests". Said high schoolers also have no problem posting pictures of them drinking on social media, my mother would have killed me. She also would have killed me for what I see these girls wearing out, but that's a whole other topic...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CP's eventual highschool is the one who fought for their right to drug and alcohol test all the kids who do extracurricular activities. It went all the way to the Supreme Court and they randomly test the kids all the time including doing everyone as they enter Prom.

The one thing that I found strange is that the loners were exempt. If they weren't involved, they didn't need to be tested.

Can someone please link me to anywhere where consequences are taken into action when athlete/ or team is found with alcohol or drugs via social media or in person? Thanks! So any forms or things like that from USASF or competition brands.

I'm hoping that there is something that is in the topic of this especially for underage children.
Policing a child's behavior begins at home. Parents are responsible for monitoring social media accounts and taking action when evidence shows their minor child engages in illegal activities. If the parent condones or facilitates the activity, a concerned third party can alert Social Services to intervene.

Gyms are responsible for providing a safe environment for the athletes. If the gym knows or should have known that an athlete took the practice or competition floor under the influence of drugs, that gym may be held liable for any injuries caused by that athlete. The gym should also be at risk of losing any accreditation to compete at USASF or brand sanctioned events.

USASF and/or competitive brands should not monitor SM unless the athlete posts a picture clearly showing an image of the brand in the presence of drugs/alcohol. In that case, they can order the SM site to take down the picture. If an athlete is at a competition or a brand sanctioned event with drugs/alcohol, call security and the appropriate authorities to remove the athlete from the event.

To be clear, athletes are responsible for their behavior and should accept the consequences.

I would leave any of the responsibility for punishing bad social media behavior to the USASF... they aren't exactly known for following through on consequences for rule-breaking.

My opinion on drug testing is that we want to be considered as a athletic activity and frankly being under the influence of anything when doing cheer is dangerous so I think it should happen.

I think a good place to start as a trial would be international divisions at worlds as all are at least 14+. I personally would also breathalyze athletes to try and stop the drinking issue at worlds but that not be easy to do. Maybe trial a system for a year on international teams see how it goes then first pass it down to all worlds divisions, then senior divisions at national comps then juniors.

Do they drug test at Worlds? Of all places, that to me makes the most sense.
Not that I have heard of, but again, I will say that I would NEVER allow them to drug test my athlete. With all of the other mistakes, issues, etc, I definitely wouldn't want them having that kind of power. Not to be snarky, but the typos on the Worlds package do not instill confidence that they could get drug testing correct.

Back