OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
unpopular empirically derived scientific data coming through...

(this isn't meant to look down upon greek life, but it's something that prospects and current members should be aware of)

Two different longitudinal studies have shown that fraternity men are three times more likely to commit sexual assault than other college men (Foubert, Newberry, & Tatum, 2007; Loh, Gidycz, Lobo, & Luthra, 2005.)

Research has shown that fraternity men are significantly more likely than other college men and the general population to approve of coercing women to engage in sexual behavior (Boering-er, 1999; Foubert et al., 2007; Murnen & Kohlman, 2007).

Research has shown that fraternity men report greater support for anti-female behaviors (Sanday, 1996)

According to multiple studies, fraternity men endorse rape-supportive attitudes at a significantly higher rate than non fraternity members (Bleecker & Murnen, 2005; Boeringer, 1999).

so it's not surprising, because sorority members associate with fraternity memebers the most, that...

Women in sororities are 74% more likely to experience rape than other college women, and those who live in the sorority house are over three times as likely to experience rape ((Minow & Einolf, 2009; Mohler-Kuo, Dowdall, Koss, & Weschler, 2004).

Multiple studies have identified greater alcohol use as a cause for the staggering prevalence of sexual assault incidents involving sorority women (Abbey, 2002; Benson, Gohm, & Gross, 2007;McCauley et al., 2009).

Even after controls are included for alcohol consumption and attendance of Greek-hosted parties during which alcohol is served, research has shown that sexual assault experiences are reported by sorority women at a rate four times that of non-sorority women. Additionally, despite widespread use of alcohol among the female college population, sexual assault incidents remain higher among sorority women (Minow & Einolf, 2009)

all of this can be found in the introduction of this study, as well as the references: Sorority women’s and fraternity men’s rape myth acceptance and bystander intervention attitudes | John Foubert - Academia.edu
Oh...

That_Escalated_Quickly.jpg

Only about 40% of rapes are reported, so data is obviously skewed. If anything, I would say members of a sorority are more likely to report since they're constantly surrounded by their peers who could urge them to report.

All of this is just me speculating, I'm not an expert on rape statistics and I'm not a sorority sister.

I would definitely agree with you. It states in the first few lines of the study that these are "reported" rape case numbers from a sample of 4,400 something women. The article shared also states that it is speculated that only 5% of rape cases are reported.

I would venture to say that the results of this report are skewed, and that members of a sorority or fraternity would be more likely to report a rape case. I believe that sorority/fraternity rape victims may be more likely to have witnesses present and a strong support system to back them up in a rape trial or case.

This is all speculation, however my best friend was raped in college and refused to report the case. No matter how much I begged her to go to authorities, she was embarrassed, ashamed and scared. It was not my choice to make for her. Neither of us have ever been involved in greek life.

I am also no rape expert, however I have been personally affected by this and take it very seriously.

I've never been a part of Greek life but I think I can say that at their best sororities/fraternities can be the most rewarding, positive experience for many college students. At their worst they could be a complete nightmare.

Lots of things can be that way and you do your research and make smart decisions when joining any group. One of my daughter's criteria for college is to have a strong Greek life and I completely support her in that search.

I actually hope to have my daughter meet up with @cheerKT for lunch in the next year or two because she's seriously considering USC and I love her sorority stories. @cheerKT just doesn't know it yet! Ha!

I've never been a part of Greek life but I think I can say that at their best sororities/fraternities can be the most rewarding, positive experience for many college students. At their worst they could be a complete nightmare.

Lots of things can be that way and you do your research and make smart decisions when joining any group. One of my daughter's criteria for college is to have a strong Greek life and I completely support her in that search.

I actually hope to have my daughter meet up with @cheerKT for lunch in the next year or two because she's seriously considering USC and I love her sorority stories. @cheerKT just doesn't know it yet! Ha!
PERFECT! I love USC! And my sorority! AND LUNCH!

I don't have time for this right now, but I'm sure any disagreement I may have will be taken as accepting rape.

no, but any disagreement that may be said will be assumed to, and should, present statistically valid and reliable empirically derived scientific data that can provide evidence to refute the 14 scholarly studies that were cited.

So basically if you're in a fraternity you're a rapist, and if you're in a sorority you'll be raped... Right ok.

No offense but I don't know why you would post that in a thread consisting of all Greeks.. BYE.

for the first statement, i really hope, judging by your interpretation of the presented findings, that you are a high school senior or a first year college/university freshman.

for the second statement, scientific data isn't here to tip-toe around those that it may offend or disagree with. by your logic, if data doesn't represent a population well, it shouldn't be discussed in the presence of that population? why? the topic of this thread was to go greek or not. all data that is available should be presented to those interested in joining, so that they may make an informed decision for themselves. hiding data that may influence their decision, especially if it has to do with their safety, is highly unethical. so, no, you may not say bye and make someone go away just because you don't like the facts that were presented. what was stated wasn't some emotionally derived opinion.

no, but any disagreement that may be said will be assumed to, and should, present statistically valid and reliable empirically derived scientific data that can provide evidence to refute the 14 scholarly studies that were cited.

for the first statement, i really hope, judging by your interpretation of the presented findings, that you are a high school senior or a first year college/university freshman.

for the second statement, scientific data isn't here to tip-toe around those that it may offend or disagree with. by your logic, if data doesn't represent a population well, it shouldn't be discussed in the presence of that population? why? the topic of this thread was to go greek or not. all data that is available should be presented to those interested in joining, so that they may make an informed decision for themselves. hiding data that may influence their decision, especially if it has to do with their safety, is highly unethical. so, no, you may not say bye and make someone go away just because you don't like the facts that were presented. what was stated wasn't some emotionally derived opinion.
I'm a 20 year old educated college junior actually. I just find those statistics and findings idiotic. I'm a social work major so I would like to think I know what I'm talking about here when I say there's no way those findings are accurate and not skewed.

I'm a 20 year old educated college junior actually. I just find those statistics and findings idiotic. I'm a social work major so I would like to think I know what I'm talking about here when I say there's no way those findings are accurate and not skewed.

are you trying to say that, in one day, you, as a sophmore with 60 units majoring in social work, were able to dissect the findings of 14 scientific papers published by 20+ PhDs? and what evidence do you have to back up your claims? claiming to be a social work major isn't a valid argument. what is it about the statistics that you find idiotic? what were the limitations of the statistical tests? what would you have done differently to have made studies and statistics more reliable and valid?

are you trying to say that, in one day, you, as a sophmore with 60 units majoring in social work, were able to dissect the findings of 14 scientific papers published by 20+ PhDs? and what evidence do you have to back up your claims. claiming to be a social work major isn't a valid argument. what is it about the statistics that you find idiotic. what were the limitations statistical tests? what would you have done differently to have made studies and statistics more reliable and valid?
I never once said any of that... But as a social worker I know that those are EXTREMELY high numbers for rape statistics. Rape is so underreported.

Back