All-Star Usasf Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If a uniform causes a safety concern, or a distraction to the judges-yes, we will say something. If your uniform tops are slipping off and I see ta-tas, I'm sure as heck going to write that on the score sheet.
As well as skirts that are so ill-fitting that they turn into belts (or start off as belts) that is distracting to a routine.

If a uniform causes a safety concern, or a distraction to the judges-yes, we will say something. If your uniform tops are slipping off and I see ta-tas, I'm sure as heck going to write that on the score sheet.
Is there a set deduction rate for visible ta-tas? ;)

that would be funny if there was. i'm not sure how often that happens, but it'd definitely give an incentive for the girls to make sure they aren't going to lose their tops :p
I'm not really sure it's the girls so much as the coaches/uniform companies designing and fitting these uniforms incorrectly. On almost every team there are the girls with the belt-skirts but there are also girls with skirts that fit properly and cover everything. I know if I received my uniform that fit like some of the girls out there, I would take it to my coach and have the company remake it. If I am paying hundreds of dollars for those few pieces of fabric, I want that fabric to cover enough of me.

but really, how many judges do you think are going to write on scoresheets, "get a more appropriate uniform." USASF just needs to prevent the companies from producing certain uniforms if they feel it's that big of a deal.

Ahhh, yes. But remember they put out image guidelines four months ago and people were in an uproar. I don't think TPTB can prevent companies from producing certain uniforms, but they certainly can restrict what is put on the floor. However, that goes back to actually getting EP's to go along with it, therefore potentially restricting cash flow. And we all know that ain't happenin ;)

I'm not really sure it's the girls so much as the coaches/uniform companies designing and fitting these uniforms incorrectly. On almost every team there are the girls with the belt-skirts but there are also girls with skirts that fit properly and cover everything. I know if I received my uniform that fit like some of the girls out there, I would take it to my coach and have the company remake it. If I am paying hundreds of dollars for those few pieces of fabric, I want that fabric to cover enough of me.

The fitting. Fittings last year, let me rehash how they went at our gym. Rep shows up, with no samples of uniform in the actual material we were using for ours. Some samples of certain sizes were full tops. How am I supposed to fit my very slim kid for a crop top if they only have full tops? How am I to know if the length of the top will be appropriate, or know that the chest will be snug enough, or too loose? Our uni bottom is shorts and guess what she had none of with her- shorts! She only had skirts!!!! She asked me what size skirt CP had the previous year, I told her an A waist. So she ordered an XS, which was far too small because my kid was tall for that waist size, so her bottom hung out. Not to mention that there is a seam around the waist with trim, that didn't stretch, so while the rest of the shorts fit due to the stretching (except length/inseam), the seam was tight. Then, I wanted to size my little one for shoes, but she didn't have a youth 10. Nothing under a 12 I believe. I'm sorry, but I can't go off of "that size is really small" to fit a 4 year old that still wears a toddler 7. I was not impressed. At all.

However, with that being said, I have definately seen some gyms, one in particular, that it is obvious that they fit their skirts to barely cover the bloomers. Everybody's skirts are micro-mini. I have also noticed a trend of rolling the waistband in to shorten the skirt. It starts to be very unflattering on a lot of girls unless they are stick thin, and it is quite obvious that it is rolled.

The fitting. Fittings last year, let me rehash how they went at our gym. Rep shows up, with no samples of uniform in the actual material we were using for ours. Some samples of certain sizes were full tops. How am I supposed to fit my very slim kid for a crop top if they only have full tops? How am I to know if the length of the top will be appropriate, or know that the chest will be snug enough, or too loose? Our uni bottom is shorts and guess what she had none of with her- shorts! She only had skirts!!!! She asked me what size skirt CP had the previous year, I told her an A waist. So she ordered an XS, which was far too small because my kid was tall for that waist size, so her bottom hung out. Not to mention that there is a seam around the waist with trim, that didn't stretch, so while the rest of the shorts fit due to the stretching (except length/inseam), the seam was tight. Then, I wanted to size my little one for shoes, but she didn't have a youth 10. Nothing under a 12 I believe. I'm sorry, but I can't go off of "that size is really small" to fit a 4 year old that still wears a toddler 7. I was not impressed. At all.

However, with that being said, I have definately seen some gyms, one in particular, that it is obvious that they fit their skirts to barely cover the bloomers. Everybody's skirts are micro-mini. I have also noticed a trend of rolling the waistband in to shorten the skirt. It starts to be very unflattering on a lot of girls unless they are stick thin, and it is quite obvious that it is rolled.
Like I said, the girls are not the ones to blame for ill-fitting uniforms. In that situation it was the reps fault. That would just tell me to never use that company again.

I went through a situation like this. We had open shoulder uniforms at one point that were full tops. Well, the lady gave me a medium because i "have broad shoulders" too bad that won't matter in an open shouldered uniform. and then because it was just a crop, it fit me fine. but when I got a medium in our actual uniform, it was huge and i was swimming in it. I ended up trading tops with a girl halfway through the season.

but really, how many judges do you think are going to write on scoresheets, "get a more appropriate uniform." USASF just needs to prevent the companies from producing certain uniforms if they feel it's that big of a deal.

They can't even get a universal scoresheet nailed down with EPs, so I don't think they're going to have much pull with uniform companies. Companies will design and sell uniforms in the style/cut that people request, so it really comes down to gyms choosing tasteful uniforms. It doesn't seem like it should be so difficult, but we have all seen the uniforms that make you say, "hmmmm."

As a coach/gym owner, if a rep shows up without the proper item for a fitting-I tell him/her to reschedule for a time when they will have the items we need for the fitting. It's a waste of my kid's time and it's a disservice to the parents who are shelling out $300 per uniform to be fitted for something that is not what you are buying. If I'm buying a car and I want the Mercedes, is it acceptable for me to test drive the Honda they have on the lot instead? No. So why would I allow my kids to be sized in full tops and skirts if our uniform is crops and shorts?

There are 2 issues: 1: reps that don't show w/ the right sizing items. 2: Gyms actually allowing things like this to happen.

No matter what anyone thinks of how "Cute" something is, it's not "cute" on everyone. Uniforms can still be fun, shiny, have certain cutouts, etc and be awesome. However, we want to be called Athletes and cheerleading to be called a "sport", well uniforms should be made like "uniforms" and people should be able to wear all proper undergarments with them. So tired of the we need a cheerleading costume mentality. If that is how you feel, stop thinking cheerleading should be a sport.

I think USASF is right in this, I wish there was a way to get set dedcutions. Also, you will never have a universal score sheet, it's a business... just like you can get cell plans from different providers or purchase uniforms from different places, EP's use this to their advantage too! And I KNOW on this board if there is a universal score sheet, everyone would hate that too!

I agree it is absolutely on the reps to bring what they need. Our new uniforms are through GK and Nancy was amazing. On the day of fitting, she came in with every size from Youth all the way up. She explained why she fit the way she did and what would be snug where. We have full top leos and shorts this year so fitting was critical as the kids aren't used to the tight fit of the leo. Kudos to GK on being prepared!