All-Star What Is This Rule Proposal About The Usasf Age Change

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just a thought but couldnt this rushing 10/12 yr olds on senior teams be address if there was a rule into place like you must compete 1 season on levels 3 and one season lvl4 before a coach can move an athlete to a level 4/5 team. If there was some type of athlete registry required, that kept track maybe coaches /athletes wouldnt be able to place "Sally" on "humble 5" just because they need a small flyer. I dont see how these young girls age 10/12 who go from youth/ jr 2 /3 can have as much body control on a level 5 skilled team as a 16 yr old who has been through propper progression going through levels 2, 3 & 4. Its pretty scary when you see a young flyer being whipped through pyramids with no body controll. I dont even want to start on janky tumbling. (which Ive seen on all ages) if its not comp ready and isnt technically right, dont put that athlete at risk just to get another full on the team.

Problem is sometimes girls walk in who have strong, clean high level tumbling because of their background in gymnastics or from taking years of tumbling classes/privates.

Or...you could have Jrs at Worlds again. Move the Sr. bottom age up and let the gyms who can, field a great Jr. Worlds team (remember Starlites from back in the day?) and those who cannot, take the extra two years to mold your current athletes into the Sr. Worlds team you've always dreamed of taking to Worlds. Also, a 12 yo who wins all the medals on a"Senior" team, can get burned out, or distracted by boys at 16 and quit. I think she is more likely to quit than Suzy who is still waiting to go to Worlds at 14. The big win, the big comps like Dallas and Worlds - those are the carrots. If I win them all by the time I'm 13yo, why am I killing myself in the hot gym? Some parents and kids will ask themselves that question.

My 2 cents. Give more money to Disney and the USASF...Seriously???
Oh Brother!!! Who would have thunk it!

Back to retirement!

Last edited:
I agree with moving the Senior bottom age up to 12-13 and keeping Junior too age at 14. I'd also like to see the tiny age raised to 6. I don't think a 10 year old belongs on a Senior team. Not when they are still youth and junior aged. Setting the Senior bottom age at 12 still allows forntbose really exceptional young kids to advance.

I keep hearing peoples' arguments on why 10 year olds don't belong on a senior team. The reason I believe this decision should be left up to each individual gym: Every team is made up differently. Where Gym A might have fifteen 17 year olds and five ten year olds...I could see this as not being a healthy environment for the 10 year olds. Gym B, however, might have 4 girls that are senior aged and the rest are junior aged and below. That team is essentially a junior team forced to go senior because of 4 kids. That is a very different environment altogether than Gym A. Gym B is MY senior 3 team for the past 2 years. Therefore I say it should be left as is and let the gyms and coaches decide what is best for their athletes.

Back