All-Star [1/17-1/18] Beast Of The East Atlantic City, Nj

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All this makes me wonder now if a EP would be biased towards a large program when handing out their bids. Like does that one really good team traveling 600 miles to compete just their level 5 team have a shot against all these programs that brought 17 teams when there is a rule such as this in place. The EP would probably have to put up w/ a lot of animosity if a gym w/ one team got the bid (and essentially all the level 1-4 comp fee money that the large gyms were FORCED to spend).

This is making me realize cheer isn't so much unlike competition dance where there are some comps that have "reputations" for giving out the top overall awards to whichever studio brought the most numbers.
I would be ignorant if I didn't think politics were involved in cheerleading. I grew up in a ridiculously political sport, so I guess I am somewhat immune to it. However, your example can (and has) actually worked the opposite. I remember a few years back there was a lot of talk that an EP who was trying to increase attendance at their competitions invited and paid for a mega gym's hotel rooms to get them to attend their competition, and that team ended up getting the paid bid. They may very well have deserved it, but the manner in which things happened made the situation seem shady.
As @Ashley stated, AC always had a 50% minimum team rule up until last year when a well know gym traveled to come. I think the exception to the rule is unfair. There should either be a rule for everyone or no rule. We have to drive 325 miles for this comp so gyms in our area who are attending (there are several) have to bring the majority of their teams, while gyms that live 75 miles further away only need to bring one team. This is a good comp so I think our gym would bring several teams even if they lived 401 miles away, but it is unfair to to be required.

Last edited:
All this makes me wonder now if a EP would be biased towards a large program when handing out their bids. Like does that one really good team traveling 600 miles to compete just their level 5 team have a shot against all these programs that brought 17 teams when there is a rule such as this in place. The EP would probably have to put up w/ a lot of animosity if a gym w/ one team got the bid (and essentially all the level 1-4 comp fee money that the large gyms were FORCED to spend).

This is making me realize cheer isn't so much unlike competition dance where there are some comps that have "reputations" for giving out the top overall awards to whichever studio brought the most numbers.
I think it was Brandon that came to Providence last year? Or some other northeast comp?

Last edited:
If you brought one or two really good level 5 teams from 400 miles away and there was no exception, the EP would not look too credible giving out bids to the third or fourth place team. The big gyms can't make their level 1-3 teams do too much expensive travel, it drives away customers who go to rinky dink gym until they are old enough or good enough for a level 5 team at shiny big gym. If the EP thinks they can make more money by attracting a big famous program to their event, it's worth a few bucks of incentive. It's all business, and it's a delicate balance.

I just think the closeby gyms would bring close to their entire programs anyways (like if it's a 3 hour drive, they may skip the mini's and youth level 1/2's, but still you know, for the most part most gyms like to compete the majorty of their program in the same comps), so to me the rule seems a little like it is drawing attention to the fact that the EP wants as much money as possible from you when its really not necessary.

Couldn't the EP just make the comp fees higher for the level 5 teams and accomplish the same thing? - get the money directly from the people who are hoping to benefit from the bid and leave the innocent bystanders out of it?

I think it was Brandon that came to Providence last year? Or some other northeast comp?

It was Brandon. I had "the Brandon rule" in my post, but ended up removing it.

If you brought one or two really good level 5 teams from 400 miles away and there was no exception, the EP would not look too credible giving out bids to the third or fourth place team. The big gyms can't make their level 1-3 teams do too much expensive travel, it drives away customers who go to rinky dink gym until they are old enough or good enough for a level 5 team at shiny big gym. If the EP thinks they can make more money by attracting a big famous program to their event, it's worth a few bucks of incentive. It's all business, and it's a delicate balance.

With the exception of Cheersport or NCA, they wouldn't travel 400 miles in the first place to go to the comp if they couldn't get a bid without more of their gym.

Re: this distance rule, a level 5 team getting on a plane and traveling 1000 miles to try and get a bid by themselves does sit a lot better w/ me than an entire program *having* to drive 4-5 hours just so the same level 5 team can get a bid at a closer comp. I'd imagine that in some cases that rule drives away business from the gyms w/in the distance range cause they'd chose the further comp and just send one team.

Last year, I parked at a lot across the street near the outlets. No big deal, and I think it was maybe $15? If you're willing to get even closer to the boardwalk area, there are $10 lots. You just need to walk through 4-5 seedy blocks to get back to the CC. Travel in a pack and you're fine.

I think its great for well known respectful gyms to travel and fight for the bid. If it makes the home town teams fight harder so be it. Thats what World's is about the best of the best. I saw Brandon and they were amazing and my 11 year old niece got to take pics with them because they were uber approachable unlike some of the home town athletes.

Did someone say "twice as big" this year?? Oy. Two years ago we had a 5:30am report time and a 7:15 performance time for our J2 team. Last year the comp started at 8 so it was somewhat more tolerable. Sounds like it's going to be early again this year. Glad we are at the Sheraton....and I'm bringing breakfast with me!

they most likely will set up a second arena so the schedule will work. even a third if needed.

they most likely will set up a second arena so the schedule will work. even a third if needed.
they already had 2 arenas so hopefully a 3rd will be added if it is as big as predicted!

there's also a gymnastics competition in the convention center that weekend, so not sure they can set up another arena.

they have the cheer comp as an estimated 22,000 people and the gym comp only an estimated 3,500, but that's still a decent number of people and required space.

there's also a gymnastics competition in the convention center that weekend, so not sure they can set up another arena.

they have the cheer comp as an estimated 22,000 people and the gym comp only an estimated 3,500, but that's still a decent number of people and required space.
ugh I was hoping the gymnastics competition wasn't the same weekend. It was really crowded and ran dark o'clock am to dark o'clock pm. If it is as big as they say then I don't know where they are going to put everyone! I thought the comp would be a mess the first year they moved from Hartford to Atlantic City and they put on a great comp, so I will keep my faith in them!
cheer >> gymnastics. Numbers don't lie :D

Back