All-Star 2016 Summit Crossover Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nothing in the rules prevents, say, a senior level 2 team from winning a wildcard bid and then replacing the entire team before summit with level 4 athletes (if the athletes are not on a level 4 Summit team). The alternates/roster rule similar to worlds is what is missing here.

I don't have a problem with the timing of the rule. It is a Varsity event and technically nothing to do with USASF. It shouldn't affect team placements except for a select few roster spots - and if it did I'm side-eyeing.
This. And ultimately it only has the potential to impact athletes for this one competition (that you still need a bid for). The rest of the season and comps aren't impacted. Suzy can still compete on the 2 4 and 5 teams ;)

The timing to the rule is probably due to the 2015 summit was only held less than a month ago. Varsity had to listen to feedback and take some time to make sure that they could address the situations appropriately rather than just throwing things together. I think they got this out rather quickly actually, good job to them!

Because not everyone creates teams the same way. Like I said, I have no issue with the rules, but why are we waiting until May 20th to release them? Why couldn't this have been released before most gyms had tryouts and placed teams?

I do understand at least waiting until this years Summit was over. Goodness knows people get confused with one set of rules I could see the hot mess of posting new rules right before and people arguing after the fact saying well the rule is such and such but no those are the new rules or old rules. And while I feel this is not a knee jerk reaction to the HUGE threads on teams that were taking advantage of some of these rules not existing this last year I imagine that Varsity did indeed want to get some feedback from the end of year 2 before moving forward with rule changes. Yes, for teams that are formed with a plan that the new rules have now eliminated this poses a quandary and one that gyms who were taking some advantage of the lack of these rules will now need to deal with. The good thing about that we are still really early but it is doable - not easy but doable.

Nothing in the rules prevents, say, a senior level 2 team from winning a wildcard bid and then replacing the entire team before summit with level 4 athletes (if the athletes are not on a level 4 Summit team). The alternates/roster rule similar to worlds is what is missing here.

Forgive my ignorance but, if that's the case, then how will the crossover rule work? If they can move a whole team from level 4 to level 1, then why could they not continue to do that with crossovers? The only problem I see with the roster rule is many parents will not pay for their kids to be an alternate on the lower levels, and with the timing of College tryouts, HS tryouts, Proms, AP testing, school projects, confirmations, parents Disneyed/traveled out etc. etc. several parents often decide not to let their kids go. Also, unlike World's teams where the kids already have their level 5 skills, levels 1-4 are often trying to push the envelope to get their skills in that last month and so many injuries happen in April as a result. I'm all for tightening up the rules but, I don't want them to be so restrictive that they can't replace athletes level to level or up or down a level, if necessary.

For comparison, imagine the At-Large Worlds bid winners all getting straight into finals.

WHAT.

It is actually kind of the equivalent of the highest scoring at large bid winner from prelims going right to finals instead of having to make the top 10 of semis. Kind of a fun thing that would make prelims more interesting if they did this at worlds.

I was JUST looking to see if this had already been discussed:
2016 Summit Crossover Policies
3. NEW- All Level 4.2 athletes may only crossover to levels 2, 3 or 4.
4. NEW- Athletes can only cross up or down a level at The Summit. Level 5 athletes that competed at Cheerleading Worlds can only cross to level 4 & 5 Summit divisions (Excludes Level 4.2).

This came up last night. I read rule 4 as Level 5 worlds athletes cannot compete on 4.2, another person read this as 4.2 is excluded from this rule. Thoughts? Also, what are the rules for a level 6 team (ie can level 6 compete on 5, are they treated as level 5 and can compete on 4)? Yes the old rules do allow a level 6 (IO6 or IOC6) to cross to any senior team, provided they meet the age requirement, and yes I have seen this placement. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
It is, and that's why it's not a huge deal, but I'd hate to be the one to tell a kid their off the team;) That, and it annoys me that this happens all the time. Just wait till the USASF decides to finally announce their rule changes...then I'll really go nuts:p

Does anyone know what those reported USASF rule changes are going to be, or what they are going to address? Honestly interested.

I read the rule about the 5 Worlds crossovers to be the same as it has been. It has been that you couldn't have more than 5 Worlds crossovers on any 1 Summit team. Is that how y'all are reading that?

I read the rule about the 5 Worlds crossovers to be the same as it has been. It has been that you couldn't have more than 5 Worlds crossovers on any 1 Summit team. Is that how y'all are reading that?
I read the same, but it is not clear if those athletes who competed at Worlds on a level 6 team can cross to a level 4 team or are they only allowed R5. It is a very select few who would be affected given the age range

I was JUST looking to see if this had already been discussed:

2016 Summit Crossover Policies

1. Only 5 athletes can crossover from The Cheerleading Worlds to The Summit.
2. NEW- Athletes can compete on no more than 2 cheer teams at The Summit.
3. NEW- All Level 4.2 athletes may only crossover to levels 2, 3 or 4.
4. NEW- Athletes can only cross up or down a level at The Summit. Level 5 athletes that competed at Cheerleading Worlds can only cross to level 4 & 5 Summit divisions (Excludes Level 4.2).
5. No crossovers will be allowed to compete on both a cheer and a dance team at The Summit. However a Cheerleading Worlds athlete may compete at the Dance Summit and a Dance Worlds athlete may compete at The Summit.

It seems like the Varsity bigwigs actually listened. I am surprised and please at how aggressive these changes are!

Now I wish they would adopt and enforce the same rules at other major Varsity events. And yes I'm talking about Cheersport nationals because when half of your JR2 team isn't at awards because they are competing SR4/5 is an issue.

Back