All-Star 3 Major Changes To Address 3 Major Problems

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't buy it. How many people attend cheerleading events that don't already have an affiliation with the sport? Almost none. So, why does it matter if a kid is walking around with their belly showing at a cheer event? The negative media attention is a problem, I'll agree, but I also think it's drastically improved in recent years- Jersey Cheer, CNN special, Cheer Nation, The Cheering Life, and the documentary on Bangkok, to name a few.[/quote]

Comparable wear to gymnastics, swimming and ice skating - I believe they cover up when not performing. Its the respectful thing to do not only for yourself but others.

I kind of agree with covering up when you aren't performing especially because some girls wear their uniform top with short shorts and uggs and their cell phone in their skirt it just looks tacky. Professional sports don't care what they look like when at a competition. Gymnasts put their warm ups on the minute they get off the apparatus. It's professional. JMO

I don't buy it. How many people attend cheerleading events that don't already have an affiliation with the sport? Almost none. So, why does it matter if a kid is walking around with their belly showing at a cheer event? The negative media attention is a problem, I'll agree, but I also think it's drastically improved in recent years- Jersey Cheer, CNN special, Cheer Nation, The Cheering Life, and the documentary on Bangkok, to name a few.

Comparable wear to gymnastics, swimming and ice skating - I believe they cover up when not performing. Its the respectful thing to do not only for yourself but others.[/quote]

I guess my opinion is a bit biased, as I grew up with a mother who competed in triathlons.... those people walk around in next to nothing on a regular basis, because it's ATHLETIC and it serves a purpose. She thinks a sports bra and shorts is acceptable to go grocery shopping in lol. I think what makes cheer uniforms inappropriate, as opposed to athletic, are all of the other accoutrements- the whore make-up, for instance. I think if it were a little less theatrical. and more athletic-looking, the bare midriff wouldn't be such an issue. Also, in terms of those other sports, the "warm-up" is exactly that- used to keep your muscles WARM before/between your event. For cheer, I could see an argument being made for why warmups should be on until you hit the warmup area, but after? Once they're done competing, there are often many hours to wait. Sometimes, those kids compete at 10am and don't leave until 8pm. Why shouldn't they be comfortable? I'm usually sweating my arse off at these competitions, so I see no problem with letting a kid walk around in their uniform, as long as there are cheer shoes on their feet, and not UGGS or CONVERSE:eek:

I will agree that injuries caused in cheerleading is due to lack of knowledge from coaches. However, I also believe it's the nature of our sport to throw less than perfect skills in a routine. A rush to get majority +1. This happens because event producers reward teams for these skills (incomplete doubles, bent legged fulls, pike overs). I keep seeing us compared to gymnastics. Gymnasts don't throw unperfected skills because they're not rewarded for them. Coaches in gymnastics push perfection before perfection because the sport demands it.

That is supposed to say perfection before progression. my bad.

kingston - I don't know if the filter has changed and will accept certain words instead of others, but for a while a couple words got through the filter. I would test it but don't want to get in trouble :p

I have been saying this for months. High school needs stronger restritions. That will help allstar and be safer

I remember discussing in a thread awhile back. School should be limited to what is similar to level 3 (possibly 4). Dead mats and grass don't play if you make a mistake. Anything more advanced should be done on spring.

I remember discussing in a thread awhile back. School should be limited to what is similar to level 3 (possibly 4). Dead mats and grass don't play if you make a mistake. Anything more advanced should be done on spring.

Exactly! Outside of everything else I believe the surface dictates what you can do.

I would say death and paralysis are catastrophic injuries. Anything that takes months to recover from is major.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Well, in your above post, you said USAG may ban a skill that results in a CATASTROPHIC injury, not a major one. So it still doesn't match up. And an ACL tear can happen in activities OTHER than tumbling. Like stunting as was the case in a girl I know. Saving a stunt, caught her flyer, BAM, torn ACL and a ton of other damage. NOTHING to do with tumbling. Just saying.

I kind of agree with covering up when you aren't performing especially because some girls wear their uniform top with short shorts and uggs and their cell phone in their skirt it just looks tacky. Professional sports don't care what they look like when at a competition. Gymnasts put their warm ups on the minute they get off the apparatus. It's professional. JMO
I will agree, that as a male coach, when girls change in front of you is extremely uncomfortable. But here is my thing in regards to this whole thing. They can't police the rules they already have in play, how will they enforce this? One of the girl coaches at my gym made a GREAT point in regards to all of this in regards to "Improving Sportsmanship" Gym A - Wins, Gym B - Loses and has a line of parents with pics on their phone showing a girl on Gym A not wearing a t-shirt to cover. I think this rule has merit but is stupid. As much as I don't like it, I take the pro-active role and make sure my kids don't do it. If one of my girls from ANY team walks around with their cell phone in their skirt I take it away from them and give it to their parents (bc I just can't stand it and they know it's a rule) just an example. But you know what if Gym XYZ doesn't want to train their coaches, allows their kids to walk around in tube tops, hot pink flip flop with a fuzzy bell on it and a belly ring with a chain connected to their ear, so be it, that SHOULD BE THEIR CHOICE. It just makes my gym look better. There are no rules in place now that require me to hold my kids to the standard I choose and their shouldn't be. Not USASF's place, its gym owners and parents. I don't like a lot of things I see, so what, not my place to go up to XYZ and say "your kid looks trashy" same thing they shouldn't be allowed to walk up to me as a coach and say "I don't like your beard, it's too long, you look trashy" ( I have a long beard and many don't like it ) I don't care I like it and haven't lost a kid because of it. Be pro-active if you don't like it and hold your kids to a higher standard, if not, don't I really don't care what other gyms do off the mat. I care about what they do ON the mat bc that's ALL that should be able to BEAT my team. That's my job, I choose to do more off the mat but if I don't want to then I shouldn't have to.
Now if there is a "fashion police" required at comps and USASF is going to pay more money (that they keep saying they don't have) I vote ACEDAD

I think the pure subjectivity of these guidelines opens the door to more obvious favouritism. Now a judge can say - your skills were just as good, but I liked their music/uniforms/... better.

NCA has been following this and enforcing this rule for years. Both music and uniform

Well, in your above post, you said USAG may ban a skill that results in a CATASTROPHIC injury, not a major one. So it still doesn't match up. And an ACL tear can happen in activities OTHER than tumbling. Like stunting as was the case in a girl I know. Saving a stunt, caught her flyer, BAM, torn ACL and a ton of other damage. NOTHING to do with tumbling. Just saying.
Do you think the extent to which we push athletes in tumbling could lead to injuries in other aspects of cheerleading due to wear and tear on their bodies?

Do you think the extent to which we push athletes in tumbling could lead to injuries in other aspects of cheerleading due to wear and tear on their bodies?

I think dumb coaches and weak athletes may in order to please those coaches. I don't think banning a few skills will change this fact one bit, especially when I don't necessarily think upper level tumbling is the main culprit. I think track does that too. And gymnastics. And hockey. And football. And etc.

I don't buy it. How many people attend cheerleading events that don't already have an affiliation with the sport? Almost none. So, why does it matter if a kid is walking around with their belly showing at a cheer event? The negative media attention is a problem, I'll agree, but I also think it's drastically improved in recent years- Jersey Cheer, CNN special, Cheer Nation, The Cheering Life, and the documentary on Bangkok, to name a few.

Comparable wear to gymnastics, swimming and ice skating - I believe they cover up when not performing. Its the respectful thing to do not only for yourself but others.[/quote]

My daughters senior year of wc the shooting stars were invited to the united nations to perform in front of the general assembly. They were named the united nations cheerleader of peace.

Although they were recognized as such they never had the opportunity to perform or meet the ambassadors as no country could agree in what they should wear. Some countries wanted them to be completely covered including their faces as it is a custom and law in there countries.

Image is everything and what we think is ok or normal there are many that do not

Just thought I would share

Now if there is a "fashion police" required at comps and USASF is going to pay more money (that they keep saying they don't have) I vote ACEDAD

Well, if they're going to make this a paying position, I might do it.

Can I tell someone to "make it work"?

:D

Comparable wear to gymnastics, swimming and ice skating - I believe they cover up when not performing. Its the respectful thing to do not only for yourself but others.

My daughters senior year of wc the shooting stars were invited to the united nations to perform in front of the general assembly. They were named the united nations cheerleader of peace.

Although they were recognized as such they never had the opportunity to perform or meet the ambassadors as no country could agree in what they should wear. Some countries wanted them to be completely covered including their faces as it is a custom and law in there countries.

Image is everything and what we think is ok or normal there are many that do not

Just thought I would share[/quote]

For real? That's insane.

Back