All-Star 3 Year Old Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

JocelynsMama1 you should consider the information that was given above. I've been coaching for a long long time and it's been a standard rule that children that young are not to do bridges and or back handsprings. Your daughters long term physical development is at stake here.

I know that's not the answer you are looking for but it's a very real concern.

I have coached gymnastics and cheer for 18 years. I am safety certified through both USA Gymnastics and USASF. I have taken numerous exercise physiology classes. Due to concerns for the spine, hips and knees, little ones should not be jumping off of anything higher than their knees (till about 5 years old). In addition, it's recommended that no inversions take place (in addition to the concern for the joints, they also lack the strength/muscle tone to hold the proper body positions during the skill to stay safe). Also, kiddos that age lack the maturity and attention span necessary for doing the skill properly or safely.

Keep arguing with the knowledgable experts here. You're in "Susie's mom" territory.

I'm just curious what routine she could be possibly doing at 3 that would benefit from a bhs being put in.

This whole thread disturbed me from the start. Please JocelynsMama1 consider the advice the coaches have given you on here (if you want to ignore the opinions from the rest of us cheer parents that's fine, no hard feelings). You do not want to cause long term damage to your child by pushing her to do something she is probably not physically ready for. And while I understand it makes her (and you) happy when she does it, that does not mean it's good for her. Sometimes when people do not give you the answers that you are looking for it just means you are asking the wrong question.

Sometimes when people do not give you the answers that you are looking for it just means you are asking the wrong question.

Or, it means you're pimping your toddler's skills on a message board and people feel that it's probably a good idea to insert some sensibility before a child gets hurt or burned out.
I don't think the OP asked the wrong question, she just expected an entirely different reaction than the one she got.

Or, it means you're pimping your toddler's skills on a message board and people feel that it's probably a good idea to insert some sensibility before a child gets hurt or burned out.
I don't think the OP asked the wrong question, she just expected an entirely different reaction than the one she got.

That's what I was thinking. Based on her reaction, I think she thought we were all going to be impressed instead of concerned.

I think CheerBank meant that the OP should have asked "is it ok for my peanut to work her BHS" or " why do i want her to get her BHS" instead if "how should she work her BHS". Meaning that she's thinking about it all wrong.

Not all gyms teach a BWO before a BHS....i never learned a BWO.....doing a BHS and a BWO are completely differentit takes more muscle and body control to do a BWO or bridge kick over....she can do her bridge and hold one leg up for a while but cant pull it over on her own...where as a BHS is much faster
Then why are level ones doing BWO and level two's doing BHS? Because that is the natural progression of skills.

Y'all should take a walk over to Chalkbucket sometime...these parents are a dime a dozen in gymnastics. You can't even compete USAG at level 1, it's a marketing scheme by gyms to make money pure and simple. If she is truely "that close" to doing it herself why isn't she up training since it is a level 4 skill?
And just because a kid gets happy doing somethig doesn't mean it's good for them also. My cp loves to mainline pixie sticks and you should see her jumping up and down...it makes her so happy:rolleyes:
No parent likes to hear that what they are doing may be wrong but sometimes it's worth taking a step back and reevaluating.
BTW I honestly believe that kids that gain these skills early have a shorter career in any sport they do. Not due to injuries but out of boredom.

Ok.. My cp wanted a BHS really early too. Her coaches told me if she insisted on it, then she needed to be able to hold a perfect handstand for like 30 seconds and have a backwalkover first. She was persistent enough to meet the requirements, and had a RO BHS when she was a little over 5. Please take my advice! I have a highly motivated young athlete, who doesn't like boundaries and hearing no. Conditioning is essential to good technique. If she wants skills quickly, she better be super strong!! My cp is level 5 working on elite combo passes, and still has to work on basics. I think that is partially to blame on the fact that her technique varies, because she rushed through getting her basic skills......
But to answer you question. Handstands will help. Lots and lots of handstands....

Safety and long term health should always come first. This doesn't mean it is safe or good, but you can youtube 4 year olds doing bh, 5 year olds doing standing back tucks, 6 year olds doing standing fulls. It is crazy what some very young children are able to learn. I would guess Kiara Nowlin had a bh at a very early age.

Back