All-Star 3 Year Old Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I tried to do a forward roll on time at a lock in and my body literally said "Are you outta your mind! Our bottoms never go over our heads!!" I was having a mental block on a forward roll....
One time I did a round off on the tumble track and thought I was going to die.
Now if CA started an adult hip hop class I would all over that in a heartbeat!

I tried to do a forward roll on time at a lock in and my body literally said "Are you outta your mind! Our bottoms never go over our heads!!" I was having a mental block on a forward roll....
One time I did a round off on the tumble track and thought I was going to die.
Now if CA started an adult hip hop class I would all over that in a heartbeat!
forward roll I think I could handle, but not sure about much more.

I got mine at 29, RO BHS at 30, RO Tuck after that. I'm still working on Standing tucks and lays now. Nobody is going to tell me I'm too old. On tumbling class lists, most other gyms in the city put 12-18, or 17-25 etc. for age ranges. My club always have 17+ or similar cos I"m in those classes too.

I hate the I'm too old to learn excuse. Maybe you never will BHS, but at least try and get some other skills (cabaret at least??), some body awareness and strength and you never know how you might surprise yourself

There does come a time that your body is too old to do the moves safely. I used to be a competitive trampolininst but I haven't training in over 4 years, I'm 34. Yesterday I went on and tried to do simple somi's and crash dives, what happened...I put my back out! I feel about 64 now and I'm in agony. I suppose if your 'older' body is in top condition and you train properly it is *never* too late, but for a lot of people there is that cut off age - I think I've passed mine :/

There does come a time that your body is too old to do the moves safely. I used to be a competitive trampolininst but I haven't training in over 4 years, I'm 34. Yesterday I went on and tried to do simple somi's and crash dives, what happened...I put my back out! I feel about 64 now and I'm in agony. I suppose if your 'older' body is in top condition and you train properly it is *never* too late, but for a lot of people there is that cut off age - I think I've passed mine :/

I don't think there's an upper limit- if you continue training your body should stay working wayyy past 18! I think there's an Olympic gymnast who can still do her bars routine aged 70-something! Or you can even start at what cheerleaders would determine "old", provided you use the same progressions you would use with anyone else. But I think trying to jump back in at a relatively elite level (what a person who has had very little experience in that discipline couldn't handle) once you've been out for a few years is likely to make you feel like you're too old!

Edit: I apologise for the grammar in this post- it's shocking! But I should have left for training already and don't have time to proofread :p

I do agree that the older you get, the harder it is to learn new stuff and jump back in, but I'm talking about the "You're too old so don't even bother" line. Don't tell me what I can or can't do, cos stubborn me will try to find a way to prove you wrong (Not you specifically Hodiestoe, but whoever is saying that in general). I hope your back gets better quick. Being injured sucks big time

I think we all remember @kris1boo 's experience with punch fronts ;)

Omg, so supposedly we are having a parent team this year.
I'm so excited I want to throw a punch front to my butt or a BHS to push up position. That would be so awesome! I shared my video again a little over a month ago and tagged all the coaches and asked if could be last pass:)

Every time I'm in the gym and there is a tumbling class going on it never fails for the coach to call out to me and be like are you ready Kristen do you want to demonstrate?!

Omg, so supposedly we are having a parent team this year.
I'm so excited I want to throw a punch front to my butt or a BHS to push up position. That would be so awesome! I shared my video again a little over a month ago and tagged all the coaches and asked if could be last pass:)

Every time I'm in the gym and there is a tumbling class going on it never fails for the coach to call out to me and be like are you ready Kristen do you want to demonstrate?!
Ok you so have to send me that video LOL

@hodiestoe , my kindred spirit, I was about to post the same thing you posted. I would love to keep showing my athletes more advanced skills but I'm definitely limited now. Doing a toe touch will hurt me even if I stretch but I can still do it. Don't ask for much more than a round off on the floor either. The trak I'm cool with though bc the cushioning is a bit better hehe.

After 3 kids and lacing up my Asics for the last time 12 years ago, I can only push my body so far. I know if I had kept training as hard as I did then I could still do it all and probably more just based on what I can still do now. It would be a challenge to just find the training time to try to recapture all of my former fitness and skill levels.

I'm not old and out. Just not 22 anymore.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I haven't thrown any kind of tumbling (intentionally, anyway...hehe) since about 1994. ;) I used to be able to do round offs, which, let me tell you, were fierce back in my heyday. (Think...uhm...1982-1988) I think if I were to try anything now, I'd need some EMT's with an ambulance standing by. Props to you, Kris10boo, for having the guts to try! :cheering:

Back