A Year To Tumble?!?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughter has taken the year off of All Star this year. She is a level 4/5 stunter and has a standing tuck and a ro/bhs/tuck, but doesn't have a layout. She is 15 and has done All Star for 5 years. She is doing high school cheer this year both sideline and competition and has several girls on her team that are previous All Star cheerleaders with level 4/5 skills. She was burned out mainly because we made the switch last year to a big gym that is an hour commute both ways and with her heavy first year high school work load and the commute time, it was very rough. Between the commute and the 3 hour practices, taking tumbling in addition to that was just too much. They were not allowed to tumble anywhere else and the gym didn't offer tumbling on weekends. So she has focused on tumbling 3 times a week since the season ended and is making real progress, doing layouts on the floor with a spot. I don't know what next year will bring and what decision she will make, but she has said that she didn't want to go back to All Star unless she could be on a level 5 team. For us, taking the year off seems to be the right decision.

where does she take her tumbling and is this just the beginning of the routine for you?

Can potentially see this working for your CP since she is still remaining active overall in cheer and not just focusing on one aspect.

Well I will say I understand completely where your coming from and although only a month ago I was thinking the same thing.

The only difference is my kid has solid level 4 tumbling and working level 5 she only wanted to be placed on level 3 and was put on level 2. My kid thought it was the end all because she wasn't going to get to throw her tuck that she got almost 2 years ago. However, being at practice with this level 2 team my kid did not want to be on she is so appreciative. She and one other are the youngest on the team however my kid feels so special and like she can be a leader in some aspects and tumbling being one of those. It's not all about age and ill assure you my kid is not holding anyone back on that team, although she is the youngest.

I know your daughter feels most of them are younger and mini aged but it also doesn't mean they can't bring something just as amazing to your daughter can.

I will also share a post with you from my Facebook the day we posted Jaylen wanted to quit its not the exact same circumstance as yours but I really felt what she said
yvaqa7u9.jpg

Good luck in whatever decisions are made, I guess this part of cheer leading is something a lot if people most go through! If she really works hard this year and doesn't quit I have no doubt she will move up next year.. If she does quit then I think she may stay right where she left off! But trust me I know how hard of a decision it is to make when it's your kid!

Good luck in whatever decisions are made, I guess this part of cheer leading is something a lot if people most go through! If she really works hard this year and doesn't quit I have no doubt she will move up next year.. If she does quit then I think she may stay right where she left off! But trust me I know how hard of a decision it is to make when it's your kid!
That is something that would be going through my mind as well. Also, if she goes back to the program that she is so loyal to who didn't place her where you thought she should be this time around, do you think that might be taken into account next season in a negative way (that she left because not happy with placement) ?

where does she take her tumbling and is this just the beginning of the routine for you?

Can potentially see this working for your CP since she is still remaining active overall in cheer and not just focusing on one aspect.
She takes her tumbling at a local gym where her high school also practices and another gym on a hard floor with just mats so she can get used to doing skills there instead of just on a spring floor. Oh, yes, she wouldn't of taken the year off if her school didn't compete, she wanted to be with her friends that cheer also and like I said she needs to improve her tumbling skills and once school is out she will be tumbling twice a week in the morning with school and 3 nights a week on her own, so hopefully she will progress.

I would say go ahead and let her! I did the same thing, I barely had a round off back handspring and I took a break from allstars just to gain tumbling and I came back with new trick passes and my tuck. Just be patient and willing to listen to her. Also, be careful with tumbling instructors and classes. You want to put her in an environment that will boost her confidence and skill level.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back