All-Star Acro&tumbling Vs Traditional Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The NCAA has rules regarding athletic participation and is determined by playing season. A and T has a definitive declared playing season. A and T's pre-season is in the fall. The start day for competition is in February. The post-season play (National Championship) is last week of April. An athlete would not be prevented from participation by the NCAA rule book if their sport/activity/club sport did not interfere with the start of competition for the sport they are recruited in. Your example of a football player and a track athlete would not be an NCAA rule violation if their actual start date for competition season does not cross (although NCAA football and basketball have different rules vs "other" sports.) However, the likelihood that the football coach (or vice versa for track coach) allowing a player to essentially not have dedicated down time might be a personal choice (think academic standing and injury overuse) would (I am guessing) be a discussion between both programs. For instance if a recruited female soccer player also wanted to participate in A and T many scenarios need to be discussed. Soccer would be out of season during A and T's actual start of competition declaration. However, would an A and T coach want to share that player's injuries (as an example). Secondly, some sports are classified as either a head count or equivalency sport. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_(NCAA) If that soccer player had a scholarship and A and T also offered a scholarship, the "countable aid" would be combined per their equivalency quotas. So if Soccer had countable aid out for $20,00.00 dollars and the shared sport had countable aid out for $ 20,00.00 those numbers would be combined and assumed by each program. There is alot up for consideration when "sharing" an athlete especially since the NCAA has an academic standard for eligibility to play. As for a cheerleading athlete being shared with any NCAA varsity sport program, it would be difficult. Cheerleading typically spans the entire year if they have both football and basketball duties. Cheerleading also has no regulation, and though many Universities DO provide trainers and other resources to their cheer teams...many do not. If I were to "share" a cheerleader as a part of my program ( I would not because we have the same season), I would want to know that the coach of the activity shared a philosophy in safety. Concussion management for one. My athletes do not tumble on days that our strength and conditioning staff has facilitated exercises for lower body strength and allows a day for recovery to prevent injuries. We have a very regulated program and a training regimen for injury prevention based on science which takes in the entire season as a whole. Most varsity sport teams also have other "imposed" NCAA rules or university specific rules that many cheer teams do not. I would want to be certain that anyone I were to roster understood compliance rules across the board (not just while in season) and on my team. Assuming double duty is alot to manage for the athlete at the collegiate level. I don't think across the board in collegiate sports one can find a ton of individuals who participates on several teams, and while it can be done, in my opinion it is rare.

This doesn't make it sound like the NCAA would stop so,done from participating in both. Is that correct?

This doesn't make it sound like the NCAA would stop so,done from participating in both. Is that correct?

Again, most collegiate cheerleading teams report for training in August and go all the way through March for basketball sideline cheerleading and maybe a competition or two after basketball ends. I will ask my compliance person to pull up that rule for a definitive answer. Keep in mind that an athlete would half to manage pre-season (both 8 hour segment/and 20 hour segment) combined with their activity/club sport practice at the same time before the actual start day of competitive season. But again, I will ask.

Again, most collegiate cheerleading teams report for training in August and go all the way through March for basketball sideline cheerleading and maybe a competition or two after basketball ends. I will ask my compliance person to pull up that rule for a definitive answer. Keep in mind that an athlete would half to manage pre-season (both 8 hour segment/and 20 hour segment) combined with their activity/club sport practice at the same time before the actual start day of competitive season. But again, I will ask.

I understand that doing both would be difficult on the athlete and many coaches and schools will stop athletes from doing both. I want to know if there are reasons to believe the NCAA will prevent an athlete from doing both, specifically since the NCAA doesn't regulate cheerleading and many schools don't consider cheer a varsity sport.

I understand that doing both would be difficult on the athlete and many coaches and schools will stop athletes from doing both. I want to know if there are reasons to believe the NCAA will prevent an athlete from doing both, specifically since the NCAA doesn't regulate cheerleading and many schools don't consider cheer a varsity sport.

I don't think the NCAA would block it, but didn't Varsity/USA Cheer/Stunt/whatever they call themselves now block athletes from participating in A&T if they want to participate in their cheer events? Granted I think that was more on a full team level (a competitive cheer/sideline team can't compete in an NCATA meet), more than an individual basis, but if you're questioning who is going to block something I would look at them first.

I don't think the NCAA would block it, but didn't Varsity/USA Cheer/Stunt/whatever they call themselves now block athletes from participating in A&T if they want to participate in their cheer events? Granted I think that was more on a full team level (a competitive cheer/sideline team can't compete in an NCATA meet), more than an individual basis, but if you're questioning who is going to block something I would look at them first.

Thank you. At this point I'm just trying to see if the NCAA would prevent an athlete from doing both.

I believe A&T teams were blocked from NCA 3-4 years ago, then NCATA's setup prevented teams from competing at both.

The only problem I have is that if A&T or STUNT were to be recognized by the NCAA as a sport it would only make it harder for competitive cheerleading to then ever become a sport because it would be so similar. Thats the one reason i prefer STUNT because at least the overall routine at then end is more of a traditional allstar/college looking routine.

No, any and all teams that chose to compete in the NCATA format were blocked from attending Daytona. This article pretty much tells the story:

College Corner - Universities Speak Out Against USA Cheer Press Release

Are you saying the NCATA would allow one of their teams to compete at NCA? If not I think we said the same thing different ways.

The only part of the article I saw that mentioned this was "USA Cheer told teams if they competed in NCATA events, they would be banned from NCA college cheerleading nationals." which is pretty much what I said. Did I miss anything?

Are you saying the NCATA would allow one of their teams to compete at NCA? If not I think we said the same thing different ways.

The only part of the article I saw that mentioned this was "USA Cheer told teams if they competed in NCATA events, they would be banned from NCA college cheerleading nationals." which is pretty much what I said. Did I miss anything?

No..I misunderstood you. I thought you said NCATA did not allow other teams to compete in their format. I did not realize you were saying that NCA/USA Cheer had initiated a ban.

No..I misunderstood you. I thought you said NCATA did not allow other teams to compete in their format. I did not realize you were saying that NCA/USA Cheer had initiated a ban.

Cool, I thought we were on the same page.

Does NCATA prevent NCATA teams from competing at other events, whether it be a college nationals or all star event?

A lot of people might disagree or get angry at me for saying this but I feel like stunt is just a power grab. When A&T started, I think Varsity saw potential for losing a lot of money and created stunt to fight it.

I don't know if mad is the right word to describe what happened to me when I said it to the Associated Press, but saying does have it's consequences.

Competing plans proposed to make competitive cheerleading an NCAA sport - ESPN

"Kimberly Archie, who heads the National Cheer Safety Foundation and supports the USA Gymnastics model, said the USA Cheer move seems to be an attempt by Varsity to maintain control of competitive cheer."

A lot of people might disagree or get angry at me for saying this but I feel like stunt is just a power grab. When A&T started, I think Varsity saw potential for losing a lot of money and created stunt to fight it.

It's not just you. They've been pushing high school Stunt HARDCORE in Socal, and it just pisses me off for this exact reason. Lots of half truths were being thrown around about Stunt by Varsity.

Back