All-Star Age Changes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious how the change would affect worlds team? Xtra small wasn't going to be a division there, were the ranges that much different?
The other changes were that small coed went up to 5 boys and 22 athletes (small all girl at 22 athletes), and large coed at 19 boys and up to 38 (large all girl at 38)

I guess my daughter's been lucky. We've had young girls on her youth teams (like 5-6 years old) and there are young girls (7-8-9) on our high level junior teams and I've seen zero issues. The younger girls pay attention, perform beautifully and don't act out at practice. And all the girls get along-- not saying an 8yo and 14yo are having sleepovers but they converse, laugh and have fun together at practice and competitions. I will say there are multiple younger girls (typically flyers) so there isn't a lone 7 year old on a Jr team. So the younger kids have their peer group of 7-9 year olds to bond with and socialize with outside of practice.

We've had the same experience too. Maybe we're just lucky, but the older girls are very protective of the younger ones and seem to go out of their way to include them. My CP is on a junior team with ages ranging from 7-14, most in the 12-13 age range. The girls get along amazingly well, both inside and outside the gym. I'm actually really proud of the older girls, and thankful for them taking a leadership role on the team and showing the younger girls so much respect.

What's everyone's opinion on the following:

Mini: Under 5
Junior: 5-10
Youth: 8 - 14
Senior: 14 -18

Just a suggestion but this is roughly how I tend to structure teams. I typically try to keep them roughly within their school categories, with a sizable overlap withing junior and youth. However I feel an 18 year old and a 12 year old are too far apart in mental development despite attending the same school (in Europe). It also lends to our senior teams being a well respected division with normal sized flyers rather than 18 year olds lifting 10 year olds. This does lead to quite a few senior lower level teams, however we find that the younger athletes who may be a higher skill level still have a serious amount of respect for the seniors. Ideally we would have a division between youth and senior but we wouldn't have the numbers for that. We could be more competitive if we played the age grid, but we prioritize athlete development and happiness over making stunts easier by having a tiny flyer or having an older tumbler in the team just to max out.

While I see and understand this from every angle (business, maturity, and stunting ability), I will take it from another angle and that's actual physical wear and tear. Every additional pound these kids are lifting, throwing, and catching is in direct opposition with gravity and force, there is no such thing as a "normal" size flying human. When it comes to bones, joints, cartilage, joint cavities and their injuries, it always correlates with force and impact. Would you rather lift and catch a 75 lb flying cannon ball or a 115 lb cannon ball repeatedly? At some point, my body is going to stop caring how mature the cannon ball is.

While I see and understand this from every angle (business, maturity, and stunting ability), I will take it from another angle and that's actual physical wear and tear. Every additional pound these kids are lifting, throwing, and catching is in direct opposition with gravity and force, there is no such thing as a "normal" size flying human. When it comes to bones, joints, cartilage, joint cavities and their injuries, it always correlates with force and impact. Would you rather lift and catch a 75 lb flying cannon ball or a 115 lb cannon ball repeatedly? At some point, my body is going to stop caring how mature the cannon ball is.
But wont the rubbery 75 lb cannonball feel like a 115 lb cannonball? :) :)

Physics and physiology examples simply don't work on people who desperately want (or want for their daughter) to be a flyer. We have had more conversations about that than you could imagine over the years.

I honestly wish that flying were simply about flexibility, technique, and "desire". Unfortunately, gravity, leverage, (and scoresheet) aren't concerned with "fair".

It's unclear. Varsity said originally "not a worlds division" but its listed as level 5 on the USASF website??

Just because it is a senior 5, doesn't automatically mean they will offer the division at Worlds.

Just because it is a senior 5, doesn't automatically mean they will offer the division at Worlds.
Yes.. Are you aware of any decisions made regarding if an AG team has less than 14 and is classified as an Xsmall if they will be able to receive a bid and compete as small at Worlds, or will they be unable to compete at Worlds altogether if the gym cannot field enough for a small team?

Yes.. Are you aware of any decisions made regarding if an AG team has less than 14 and is classified as an Xsmall if they will be able to receive a bid and compete as small at Worlds, or will they be unable to compete at Worlds altogether if the gym cannot field enough for a small team?

I am not aware of any decisions.

True, but I have only seen "not a worlds division" in writing once, and NOT directly from USAF. I wish they would make it clear what is going to happen.

Back