All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

After reading this thread, some deep thought, and talking with CP's coaches, I am actually going to soften my thoughts about this subject. CP is almost 9, 47" and about 47 pounds. She is pretty small for her age and has always been non-existant on a growth chart, just like her little sister. She certainly appears younger than her age. Obviously with her being 9 in February, she ages out of mini after this season My best guess, based on what I see this season is that our gym will probably have a youth 3 or 4, and a lower level junior team. CP would be right smack in the middle of that ability-wise, at a strong level 2 tumbler or beginning level 3. How would I feel if people were giving her and her team a hard time because she had to go up an age division because she didn't have the skills needed for the only youth team which happens to be higher level that she is? I wouldn't want anybody to discount her and her team because they were wondering why this junior team had to put what they think is a 7 year old up in the air. I guess this would be a little different than being placed on a senior 5 just so she can fly though....

I don't have an issue with 12 year old flyers on Sr. 5. What I have an issue with is 8 and 9 year old flyers on Senior 1-Restricted 5. When you have such young/little girls, the 15 year old flyer that is 5' and 100 lbs. is considered too big to fly. I believe a senior team should be able to base a senior aged girl.

I don't have an issue with 12 year old flyers on Sr. 5. What I have an issue with is 8 and 9 year old flyers on Senior 1-Restricted 5. When you have such young/little girls, the 15 year old flyer that is 5' and 100 lbs. is considered too big to fly. I believe a senior team should be able to base a senior aged girl.
thankyouthankyouthankyou

I chuckle when I see the comments referencing the large gyms and saying that they have 500 athletes to choose from. Really?!? You really think that CA has 500 level 5 kids that they select from to make their sr level 5 teams? What do they do with 350-400 kids that don't make one of the sr 5 teams? Or, are you taking into account the 75 mini and younger level 1 kids as part of the 500.

It doesn't matter where CA, World Cup, Stingrays, etc. are located, the coaching at these gyms is what sets them apart.

Finally read through the whole thread - interesting discussion, especially since I had no idea that you guys had such a young age restriction on your levels. I am from Australia, and our "Senior" teams must be 14 years and older. The only teams that are eligible to win Worlds Bids at our competitions are these Senior teams. We just had our Nationals on the weekend and in All-Girl Level 5 we had two teams competing, one was a true Senior (14+) team and one was a "Teen" L5 team (ages 12-18) - the Teen team was amazing as well but they were not even eligible to win the bid as their athletes were not 14 years and over. Just interesting that they could theoretically have won a bid if they were competing in the US. I suppose it's not as much of a problem for us over here as cheer is still developing (albeit, rapidly) so we don't actually have a huge amount of 12/13 year olds that are good enough to be on Worlds bid teams but are not eligible because of their age - only one or two teams in the country.

Finally read through the whole thread - interesting discussion, especially since I had no idea that you guys had such a young age restriction on your levels. I am from Australia, and our "Senior" teams must be 14 years and older. The only teams that are eligible to win Worlds Bids at our competitions are these Senior teams. We just had our Nationals on the weekend and in All-Girl Level 5 we had two teams competing, one was a true Senior (14+) team and one was a "Teen" L5 team (ages 12-18) - the Teen team was amazing as well but they were not even eligible to win the bid as their athletes were not 14 years and over. Just interesting that they could theoretically have won a bid if they were competing in the US. I suppose it's not as much of a problem for us over here as cheer is still developing (albeit, rapidly) so we don't actually have a huge amount of 12/13 year olds that are good enough to be on Worlds bid teams but are not eligible because of their age - only one or two teams in the country.

i really dont understand why international teams dont follow the same rules as the US...

i really dont understand why international teams dont follow the same rules as the US...
In this case they were following US rules. International teams have to compete in the International division at Worlds, which has 14 years as the bottom age.

Back