All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not knocking the athletes, I'm just saying I don't think stunts look as impressive with much smaller girls on top. It's a visual thing.

It's ok...I didn't take it personally...I promise! Just making a point and joke at the same time :)
I do understand what you mean, bc Maddie Garner for instance makes such a beautiful flyer. I realized how beautiful and graceful taller girls look when flying! It's just that sometimes it can't be helped as I mentioned in my other post (about basing)

So on the current scoresheet, do you all think you will benefit more from having smaller flyers doing super elite stunts that stay in the air, or a less difficult stunt with true-to-size flyers? Which will benefit the current scoresheet more? What about with the future of cheer moving more towards buidling skills?

Based on what I've seen so far this year, most gym owners are betting on the smaller flyers for crazy stunts that hit. I'd love to hear your opinion.

the thing is that it may benefit the scoresheet for these tiny fliers, but it doesn't benefit the atheletes. Yes the little girl learns to fly but the bases don't get stronger or truly learn how to do these elite skills because they can just toss the flier around. There could be so many things wrong with their grip or the way they execute the stunt, but it doesn't matter because the flier is so little it will hit no matter what. Thats not difficulty, thats ease. and judges are noticing that gyms are using fetuses. They are talking about making the 4.2 division 14 and up because they all use 8 year olds instead of people sized flyers. It also kind of ruins the team dynamic when you have 8 year olds on teams with 18 year olds. I know a gym that has a girl on minis on a senior team. We need to be using girls age appropriate.

I'm not sure that there is a difference in the long term benefit to the development of the athletes either way. While I certainly see your point, you could also argue that it would be easier to learn technique with a smaller flyer, then move to a larger one later. This is much the same principle as learning a tumbling skill on a trampoline/rod floor, then moving to the spring floor.

In terms of the current scoresheet, I don't even think it is even close. All else being equal, difficulty scores much higher. The size of the flyers does not seem to make a difference to the scores. In other words, on the scoresheet, putting up a 130 pound flyer in a full up stretch gets you the same credit as putting up an 80 pound one in the same skill - even though putting up the 130 pounder is usually much more difficult. We could certainly debate whether or not that is the way it SHOULD be, but that is definitely the way it IS.

Yes, I know that some heavier flyers are easier to put up because of technique differences. In general, though, lighter is better. This is only true to a point - as an athlete starts to either lose too much weight (or lose it too fast) to the point of being unhealthy, the loss of technique and strength hurt far more than the weight difference helps.

I completely agree with the statement that teeny tiny girls are not overall impressive as bigger girls when it comes to partner stunts..pyramids/baskets are another story. I am not bashing on tiny girls, trust me I wish I was shorter like everyday and I'm 5'2 1/2 ;) and many of the tiny girls are beasts in other categories as well. However, when it comes to older girls (14-18) who are 1. more mature and 2. usually (not always) more experienced 3. they have less years ahead to continue cheer, go to worlds etc. I mean as it is we do have the international division...which IMO is where I have seen the most fetuses (feti?) and then college students/coaches too..:confused:

I'm not sure that there is a difference in the long term benefit to the development of the athletes either way. While I certainly see your point, you could also argue that it would be easier to learn technique with a smaller flyer, then move to a larger one later. This is much the same principle as learning a tumbling skill on a trampoline/rod floor, then moving to the spring floor.

In terms of the current scoresheet, I don't even think it is even close. All else being equal, difficulty scores much higher. The size of the flyers does not seem to make a difference to the scores. In other words, on the scoresheet, putting up a 130 pound flyer in a full up stretch gets you the same credit as putting up an 80 pound one in the same skill - even though putting up the 130 pounder is usually much more difficult. We could certainly debate whether or not that is the way it SHOULD be, but that is definitely the way it IS.

Yes, I know that some heavier flyers are easier to put up because of technique differences. In general, though, lighter is better. This is only true to a point - as an athlete starts to either lose too much weight (or lose it too fast) to the point of being unhealthy, the loss of technique and strength hurt far more than the weight difference helps.

I think it pushes the sport to use 12 / 13 year olds for flying for 2 years to manhandle the stunts and make them work. After that they move on to be bases and backspots. Where you are going to see the 'hurt' is college cheerleading. But, college cheerleading hasn't cared about allstar, I guess we shouldnt care about them?

I think it pushes the sport to use 12 / 13 year olds for flying for 2 years to manhandle the stunts and make them work. After that they move on to be bases and backspots. Where you are going to see the 'hurt' is college cheerleading. But, college cheerleading hasn't cared about allstar, I guess we shouldnt care about them?

All of our flyers, with the exception of a few, flew when they were younger and then based as they became older. None of them have had too much difficulty transitioning back to flying. In fact, it seems to help us because their basing skills make them fantastic all around cheerleaders and really good mid-layers. I don't think it's too much of an effect on college to have younger girls flying in all stars, because if they're good flyers, they'll just transition back once they get older.

i know here in the uk, at one nationals, there was a senior team that went up to collect their first place trophy and a few of the cheereladers that got up were actually carying their flyers on their hips like you would do a baby. Totally wrong!!!

It's sad to see that some people don't look at these athletes as a part of a team. SIZE? what about SKILLS? Some of these smaller younger ones are much more determined and competitive than bigger older people. Especially on a WORLDS level team it's not even only about the skills. There are not only physical but mental exercise that goes on through out the season. I think it's not about what looks good. It's about WHAT WORKS. If you were an actress, or even a dancer I can agree. But I consider CHEER as a SPORT and SPORT shouldn't have anything to do with looks. Well, I take that back, CHEER does have a lot to do with looks, but LOOKS shouldn't be the main thing. I do appreciate the coaches. It is not an easy job to put together a team where there are many many things to consider. ;)

Back