All-Star Are Some Cheer Parents Just Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would have to agree but everyday I thank god that my mom isnt a super crazy cheer mom and my dad isnt even close to being a mad crazy cheer dad!

My mom and I have been a part of liberty for almost four years now, she only says something to me if I say ' I'm really stressed out about my tumbling etc,' she just supports me but she NEVER goes crazy. She knows that coaches are there to coach. At my gym they don't even let parents in the gym during practice and on the 1st night, one girl's mom was outside the gym just watching, THE ENTIRE TIME!

When Small Senior X won Cheersport last year they got me a jacket as the team dad. Hope no one minds if I wear it with pride to comps.
hah! If my dad was team dad I bet he wouldnt wear a jacket even if I got him one! Seriously I wish my dad was more involved. The only time he really comes to competitions is if he can take pictures of the liberty teams performing

My mom and I have been a part of liberty for almost four years now, she only says something to me if I say ' I'm really stressed out about my tumbling etc,' she just supports me but she NEVER goes crazy. She knows that coaches are there to coach. At my gym they don't even let parents in the gym during practice and on the 1st night, one girl's mom was outside the gym just watching, THE ENTIRE TIME!
She only says stuff like I believe in you and your coaches believe in you now you need to believe in yourself, using a joke my gym has

When Small Senior X won Cheersport last year they got me a jacket as the team dad. Hope no one minds if I wear it with pride to comps.

I have an NCA jacket from YE winning last year. I don't wear it but I have it.

I will wear Reagan's NC/Cheersport jacket when she takes it off and hands it to me until her Daddy get's there for me to pass it off to him. He's much more responsible than I am. She'll hand it to me. I'll carry it along with my stuff and inevitably someone on my team will need something. I'll put everything on the ground and start digging through my bag for whatever it is, forget to pick it back up and have very sad daughter. Misplaced her NCA jacket this year day 1. And all I had was me and my purse to keep up with. HAHAHA

Anyway, it probably does look ridiculous and really, who cares besides @cheerdaddy? LMAO I'd rather look ridiculous and not lose it.

spoke to a friend, whom I met through hockey, tonight about cheerleading and his commetns had nothing to do with cost or uniforms but rather about how far we travel and how long stay at an event for a 2:30 routine.

But yet hockey parents think nothing of a 4:30am ice time for their 5 year old!

But yet hockey parents think nothing of a 4:30am ice time for their 5 year old!

he did those early mornings for many years and though he made a comment about the travel, as a hockey parent he completely understands the situation and the long term value. He is a good friend.

I have an NCA jacket from YE winning last year. I don't wear it but I have it.

I will wear Reagan's NC/Cheersport jacket when she takes it off and hands it to me until her Daddy get's there for me to pass it off to him. He's much more responsible than I am. She'll hand it to me. I'll carry it along with my stuff and inevitably someone on my team will need something. I'll put everything on the ground and start digging through my bag for whatever it is, forget to pick it back up and have very sad daughter. Misplaced her NCA jacket this year day 1. And all I had was me and my purse to keep up with. HAHAHA

Anyway, it probably does look ridiculous and really, who cares besides @cheerdaddy? LMAO I'd rather look ridiculous and not lose it.

I was actually referring to the over the top moms who actually steal their daughter's jackets and wear them as if they had won them! It's perfectly alright to put it on so you don't lose it, trust me I have acted as a pack mule for my CPs at competitions for the last 6 years so I know how it is!

My parents dont do anything crazy like what you describe although my mom was wearing my warm up jacket after I told her to bc she forgot the liberty scarf that morning. Does that count?

I'm my cp's team biggest fan! I'm the loudest by far! I'm always talking about the gym or competitions or practice or something! Although my daughter is 6 she loves the attention I show. Im not sure if this is referring to people like me.. Or if your referring to something else! I love to see the parents support their CP!
No I don't think they are. My mom is really supportive of me too and I love it! Im 14 tho

I was actually referring to the over the top moms who actually steal their daughter's jackets and wear them as if they had won them! It's perfectly alright to put it on so you don't lose it, trust me I have acted as a pack mule for my CPs at competitions for the last 6 years so I know how it is!

I was teasing you cheerdaddy. It's all good!!!

YES. 100%. there is nothing wrong with supporting your child, being loud for them when they are on the floor, wiping the tears, making sure they have good sportsmanship ect......but when the parents insult other cheerleaders, think they are the coaches, and talk to cheerleaders from other gyms in a bad way, thats where the line is drawn.

I don't have kids (yet), so I don't really know what kind of Cheer Mom I'm going to be, but...

I was lucky enough to have a Mom who worked nightshift my whole life, so she was always home during the day to attend any and every activity that I had. She was a crazy sideline parent, embarrassing the crap out of me by yelling and screaming during every sport I played, wearing the Cheer Mom shirt and the Cheer Mom button, etc. She also videotaped EVERYTHING from soccer games to school play to cheer competitions. She not only taped my team, but EVERY team in our division and others (which, back then was never less than 5 teams per division lol). Her video commentary is priceless, and it still makes me laugh. "Oh SWEET JESUS THAT WAS AWESOME" "I almost PEED MY PANTS, GO GIRLS" lol... she's a character, to say the least.

I would be lying if I said it didn't annoy me at times, BUT I always knew she was supportive. She put pressure on me, yes. It could have been better, and it could have been much worse. I have certainly seen the typical "Suzie's Mom" character WAY too often, and I definitely wouldn't put her in that category. As crazy and involved as she was, she was never a team mom, and never got involved with the coaches, etc. She would listen if I had a problem on the team or with a coach, but she never overstepped the bounds. Her philosophy was that, when you send your kids to school, the teachers are in charge of discipline, and when you send them to practice, the coaches are in charge of discipline. If I was getting yelled at for something, she never took the route of "oh, my poor baby is getting picked on." She would say "Well what did you do wrong?". If I was mad about my spot being moved, she didn't cause a s*** storm, she told me to work harder and get my spot back.

This is the problem I notice with parents today, is that they simply cannot see their children as being imperfect. So, if you live by the mentality that your child is flawless, you're going to see the flaws in everyone else (coaches, other kids) magnified. Everything becomes personal, instead of just being able to step back and let things play out. In the end, it's about balance. You can be supportive without being overbearing.

Numba1stunta said............... If I was getting yelled at for something, she never took the route of "oh, my poor baby is getting picked on." She would say "Well what did you do wrong?". If I was mad about my spot being moved, she didn't cause a s*** storm, she told me to work harder and get my spot back.

Amen and double amen. I love your Mom!!!

At the end of the day, there are crazy parents in any sport. All in all, its better to have a parent who is alittle bit too involved as opposed to one who doesnt make a appearance to one event the entire year. As we all know, cheering is a very expensive sport, so any parent who will pay that to make their child happy can be considered supportive.

Back